Today’s practice squad updates:
- Signed: RB Darius Victor
- Signed: LB Darnell Sankey
- Signed: RB Aaron Green
- Signed: CB Michael Hunter
Green Bay Packers
- Signed: LB Ahmad Thomas
Today’s minor moves:
- Placed on injured reserve: LB Tank Carder (torn ACL), OL Matt McCants
- Waived/injured: S Justin Currie
- Signed: DT Derrick Lott
- Placed on IR: DT Jordan Hill
- Waived from IR: CB Charles Gaines
New England Patriots
- Waived: DE Caleb Kidder
- Waived/injured: TE Matt Lengel
New York Giants
New York Jets
- Waived/injured: DT Anthony Johnson
- Waived from IR: TE Marcus Lucas
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Waived from IR: DB Maurice Fleming
The Buccaneers have made a series of roster moves this morning. According to Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times (via Twitter), the team has signed cornerback Vernon Harris and offensive tackle Austin Albrecht. To make room on the roster, the team has waived-injured a pair of undrafted rookies, offensive tackle Cole Gardner and cornerback Maurice Fleming (via Auman on Twitter).
Vernon has the most “experience” among the four, although he’s yet to appear in an NFL game. The 2016 undrafted free agent out of Dartmouth joined the Chiefs last offseason, but he ultimately spent the entire season on the injured reserve. The Ft. Lauderdale, Florida native will have an uphill battle to make the Tampa Bay roster, as he’ll have to compete with Josh Robinson, Robert McClain, Javien Elliott, and Cody Riggs for a reserve role.
Albrecht went undrafted in this past year’s draft after a standout career at Utah State. After initially serving in a backup role, he proceeded to make 25 straight starts to end his collegiate career. The 6-5, 300-pound lineman earned an Honorable Mention spot on the All-Mountain West team during his junior and senior season.
Both Gardner and Fleming joined the Buccaneers in early May. Following three seasons at Iowa, Fleming played at West Virginia during his senior year, compiling 43 tackles and one interception. Meanwhile, Gardner played three seasons at Eastern Michigan, serving mostly as an offensive lineman. He did appear in several games at tight end, compiling 10 receptions for 95 yards and a touchdown during his college career.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.
The Buccaneers have announced agreements with 14 undrafted free agents. Here’s the group:
- Anthony Auclair, TE (Laval)
- Deondre Barnett, DE (Southern Illinois)
- Richie Brown, LB (Mississippi State)
- Riley Bullough, LB (Michigan Stte)
- Maurice Fleming, CB (West Virginia)
- Cole Gardner, OT (Eastern Michigan)
- Alex Gray, S, (Appalachian State)
- Korren Kirven, OT (Alabama)
- Sefo Liufau, QB (Colorado)
- Greg Mabin, CB (Iowa)
- Paul Magloire, LB (Arizona)
- Jonathan Moxey, CB (Boise State)
- Thomas Sperbeck, WR (Boise State)
- Bobo Wilson, WR (Florida State)
To clear room on their 90-man roster for those players, the Buccaneers cut offensive lineman Ben Gottschalk and tight end Kivon Cartwright on Monday, per Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times (Twitter link). Both Gottschalk (2014) and Cartwright (2016) went unpicked in their respective draft years. Gottschalk is the only of the two who has seen NFL action, having appeared in two of the Bucs’ games last season.