King Dunlap Retires From Football
King Dunlap is calling it a career. The former Chargers offensive lineman will retire instead of pursuing an NFL gig in 2017, according to his agents (on Twitter). 
Dunlap was released by the Chargers back in March and even though he is retiring today, he did have opportunities to play elsewhere, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (Twitter link). The Broncos were said to have some level of interest in Dunlap following his release, but we haven’t heard his name much in the last three months. That’s a sign that Dunlap has been thinking about hanging ’em up for a while now.
Dunlap, an Auburn product, entered the league as a seventh-round pick of the Eagles in 2008. After going No. 230 overall, he made several teams regret passing on him as he became a quality lineman for Philly. In his final year with the Eagles, Dunlap made 12 starts and parlayed that promotion into a free agent contract with San Diego.
In four years with the Chargers, Dunlap started in all 46 of his appearances. However, Pro Football Focus rated him as just the No. 53 tackle in the NFL last season in what was his second straight injury-shortened campaign. Dunlap, who turns 32 in September, will now get to heal from all of his nagging injuries as he exits football.
Branden Albert Reports To Jaguars
Branden Albert has joined the Jaguars for this week’s mandatory minicamp, the team announced. Albert told the Jaguars last week that he would be in attendance, so his presence was expected. 
Albert skipped the Jags’ voluntary offseason program in an effort to pressure the team to give him a better contract. Realistically, that was the only way for Albert to drum up any degree of leverage, but it was still a longshot to work. Albert has two years to go on his deal and the Jaguars aren’t exactly sure what they have in him after a down year with the Dolphins.
If Albert performs well and stays healthy this season, he may have a chance at a reworked contract next offseason. For now, he’s slated to play out the 2017 season at an $8.9MM cap number. In 2018, that figure jumps to $9.6MM. Unfortunately for him, there is no guaranteed money remaining on his contract.
Now that Albert is in the fold, the Jaguars are back to Plan A with him starting at left tackle and rookie Cam Robinson playing at left guard. Beyond that, the Jags are projected to start Brandon Linder at center, A.J. Cann at right guard, and Jermey Parnell at right tackle.
Eddie Lacy Passes Seahawks Weigh-In
Eddie Lacy is slimming down and cashing in. The Seahawks running back passed his scheduled weigh-in on Monday morning, a source tells ESPN.com’s Jeremy Fowler (on Twitter). 
Now that Lacy has tipped the scales at 250 lbs or less, he’ll earn a scheduled $55K bonus. Per the terms of his contract, Lacy has monthly scheduled weigh-ins through the offseason and during the regular season. Lacy made weight in May, registering below 255 pounds, giving him his first $55K payout.
Lacy’s free agent deal is worth $2.865MM guaranteed but he can add on $2.685MM through incentives, a portion of which is tied to his weight. Lacy has earned a rep as a bruising power back, but his conditioning has often been criticized, so the Seahawks gave him extra motivation to stay trim.
The former Packer reportedly weighed in at 267 pounds during one free agent visit, so he’s already shed a significant amount of weight this offseason. The goal for Lacy is for him to play at 245 lbs during the season and he is right on the doorstep of that.
Photo via Pro Football Rumors on Instagram.
Colts Waive Ken Griffey Jr.’s Son, Trey Griffey
Trey Griffey, the son of baseball legend Ken Griffey Jr. was waived/injured by the Colts on Monday morning, per a club announcement. The move will make room for the addition of fellow wide receiver Chris Briggs.
Griffey, a 6’3″, 209 pound athlete, had 23 catches for 382 yards and two touchdowns in his final season at Arizona. The team did not disclose his ailment, but it seems that he suffered a somewhat serious injury in practice. If he clears waivers – the typical outcome for less-heralded players who are waived/injured – then he will revert to the Colts’ injured reserve.
It was a short stay for Griffey in Indianapolis as he was signed just five weeks ago. This is a disappointing outcome for him, but the unfortunate reality is that Griffey was facing long odds of making the roster to begin with. Teams, of course, are currently working with a 90-man roster capacity. Griffey was one of twelve receivers pushing to make the final 53-man cut and the Colts are unlikely to carry more than six WRs into September. At least four of those spots are effectively spoken for with T.Y. Hilton, Donte Moncrief, Phillip Dorsett, and offseason pickup Kamar Aiken leading the way.
Texans To Host Aaron Williams On Visit
Things could be picking up for former Bills safety Aaron Williams. The veteran will meet with the Texans on Thursday, according to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle (on Twitter). 
[RELATED: Texans Work Out WR Javontee Herndon]
Williams was cut loose by Buffalo around the start of free agency following a season in which he suffered a painful neck injury. Since then, he has had only one visit – his May 3 powwow with the Jaguars. At this point, Wilson hears that Williams is fully healthy, so it might not take long for a deal to materialize if Houston likes what it sees.
Williams has only played in ten games total over the last two seasons thanks to neck issues. However, he has been a starter for the bulk of his career and he has seven interceptions to his credit in the NFL. The Texans are thin at the safety position, so it makes sense for them to at least kick the tires on Williams.
For Williams, a deal with the Texans would represent a homecoming. Williams played his high school ball at McNeil in Austin and went to college at the University of Texas.
Odell Beckham Jr. Reports To Giants
ODB is in the house. The Giants welcomed Odell Beckham Jr. to the team facility today for his scheduled physical, as Josina Anderson of ESPN.com tweets. The receiver also posted a video on Instagram declaring that he is “back” and ready to go. 
[RELATED: Giants To Keep D.J. Fluker At Guard]
Tuesday marks the start of mandatory minicamp and there was little fear that Beckham Jr. would extend his holdout into that phase of the offseason. His participation in team activities before that point, however, could be taken as a sign of good vibes between the two sides. There are conflicting reports on whether Beckham Jr. was staying away from the team to gain leverage for a new deal, but if that is indeed the case, then it doesn’t sound like the receiver is necessarily mad at the team.
The Giants don’t have a ton of incentive to give Beckham Jr. a new contract this offseason. For now, he’s slated to play out 2017 for a below-market $1.8MM salary. Then, the Giants control Beckham through a fifth-year option for $8.5MM, a rate that is still quite affordable for a player of his caliber. It would make sense for the Giants to open up talks with Beckham next offseason, though the team could still control him for years beyond 2018 with the franchise tag.
In 2016, Beckham earned his third consecutive Pro Bowl nod with 101 receptions for 1,367 yards and ten touchdowns.
Jeremy Maclin To Choose Team Today
The Bills and Ravens are expecting to hear from Jeremy Maclin today on his big free agent decision, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. Maclin visited both teams last week and reportedly enjoyed his time in both cities. 
Soon after the Chiefs released the wide receiver, running back LeSean McCoy started playing recruiter for the Bills. The Ravens also quickly scheduled a free agent visit with Maclin. The Eagles and Browns were said to have some degree of interest, but for one reason or another, the 29-year-old only met with Buffalo and Baltimore.
Maclin would make a great deal of sense for both teams. The Bills can’t rely on star Sammy Watkins to stay healthy and the cast of receivers following him leaves much to be desired. The Ravens could also use reinforcements for Mike Wallace and Breshad Perriman since they did not address the position in the draft.
The Ravens may have a leg up on Maclin thanks to the Marty Mornhinweg connection. Mornhinweg, the Ravens’ offensive coordinator, coached Maclin from 2009 through 2012 in Philadelphia. On the other hand, PFR readers seem to think that the Bills are in the catbird seat. In a recent poll, the Bills were voted as Maclin’s most likely destination with 34% of the vote. The Ravens, at 26%, came in second.
Once Maclin decides on his team, that should start the ball rolling for Eric Decker, Rapoport tweets. The Jets will either trade or release the 30-year-old and there have been some discussions with the Ravens.
West Rumors: Leary, Ingram, 49ers
The AFC West produced by far the biggest news this weekend, with the Chargers and Melvin Ingram agreeing to a four-year, $66MM extension that comes with $42MM guaranteed. Here’s more coming out of the Western divisions, as seven of the divisions’ eight teams are scheduled to hold their mandatory minicamps from Tuesday-Thursday.
- The agreement between Ingram and the Chargers is not yet official, but only a Monday trip to Chargers park in San Diego and a pending physical remain before Ingram signs the contract and becomes the third-richest defender in the AFC West, Dan Woike of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports. This will clear a path for Ingram to participate in minicamp. Von Miller‘s six-year, $114MM pact and Justin Houston‘s six-year, $101MM agreement surpass Ingram’s. But the gap between Ingram and the division’s fourth-highest-paid defender (per AAV), Eric Berry, is significant. The AFC West figures to soon house four top-tier defensive contracts once the Raiders extend Khalil Mack at a price that could well surpass Miller’s agreement.
- Ronald Leary became by far the highest-paid guard in Broncos history after signing a four-year, $36MM deal. Leary agreed to the Broncos’ offer just before free agency opened, but other teams may have had concerns about the now-29-year-old blocker. An anonymous NFL evaluator said, via Mike Sando of ESPN.com (Insider link), teams were nervous about “knee issues” associated with the sixth-year player. Leary was diagnosed with a degenerative knee condition prior to his NFL career and underwent knee surgery while at Memphis. This ended up affecting Leary’s draft status in 2012, when he went undrafted, but the interior lineman proved to be a quality performer during lengthy starting stays in Dallas — the latest of which earned him the Denver deal.
- The 49ers quickly cut bait on wide receiver K.D. Cannon coming out of their rookie minicamp and filled his roster spot with a Georgia Southern wideout named B.J. Johnson. The coaching staff was so impressed by the 6-foot-1 tryout player they gave him a roster spot, and it turned out to be Cannon’s. While Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com notes questions about the urgency Cannon exhibited during the workouts emerged, new 49ers wide receivers coach Mike LaFleur said the swap was more related to Johnson’s performance that weekend. “Nothing happened with K.D. Cannon,” LaFleur said. “It had nothing do with K.D. It was more of a testament to what B.J. showed.” Cannon, who finished his Baylor career No. 3 in receiving yardage in program history, caught on with the Jets.
- It’s “very possible” Derek Carr could become the NFL’s first $25MM-per-year player.
- The Cardinals don’t want Jeremy Maclin, but they still have their eye on some free agents, per Steve Keim. Arizona was one of the few teams that opted to conduct its minicamp this week, so the Cards don’t have another team activity until training camp.
Jets’ Lorenzo Mauldin Accused Of Attacking Man At Nightclub
A man is accusing Jets outside linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin of attacking him at a New York-area nightclub earlier this year, according to Larry Celona, Paul Schwartz and Bruce Golding of the New York Post.
The alleged attack occurred on the morning of April 2, and the man, 22-year-old Jean Lopez, has filed a lawsuit against Mauldin and another man he attests was responsible for the attack. The suit alleges Mauldin attacked Lopez after the victim spilled champagne on the linebacker. Lopez, whom the Post reports stands 5-foot-7 and 145 pounds, underwent facial surgery to repair multiple fractures. The 24-year-old Mauldin, who was a third-round Jets pick in 2015, is 6-4 and weighs 259 pounds.
The Jets are aware of the situation, the Post reports. Mauldin has started four games for the Jets during his two-season tenure.
Lopez’s lawyer, Glenn Race, said Mauldin punched Lopez “without provocation.” Lopez said he was punched twice during the attack. No charges were filed at the time after Lopez couldn’t identify the attacker, the Post reports, adding that Mauldin’s lawyer said this suit is “without merit.”
“Another individual struck the plaintiff,” defense attorney Mitchell Schuster told the Post, “and that will be borne out by the witnesses and other parties involved. We have a very strong case and I look forward to pursuing it. Lorenzo’s anxious to being exonerated. He was not involved.”
Seahawks Notes: Lacy, Joeckel, Fant
Eddie Lacy‘s next weight test will come on Monday, Sheil Kapadia of ESPN.com reports, noting that the Seahawks running back must be at or below 250 pounds to earn a $55K bonus. Lacy made his May weight requirement, at or under 255 pounds, and collected the $55K bonus after the scale read 253 pounds. The goal remains for the fifth-year running back to be at 245 during the season. Lacy has come a long way from earlier this year, when the former Packers ball carrier reportedly weighed 267 pounds during one UFA visit. Guaranteed $2.865MM, Lacy can collect up to $2.685MM through incentives — the weight program being part of that package. This latest weight date coincides with Seattle’s minicamp, which begins Tuesday.
Here’s more from the Pacific Northwest.
- We didn’t hear much about other suitors for Luke Joeckel prior to the former No. 2 overall pick reaching a one-year agreement with the Seahawks, but an anonymous executive confirmed — via Mike Sando of ESPN.com (Insider link) — the tackle/guard generated some interest despite an underwhelming Jaguars tenure and an injury-marred contract year. “We were all in it for Joeckel, too,” the exec said. “Joeckel had a market.” The Seahawks gave Joeckel an $8MM deal featuring $7MM in full guarantees. The latter number may well have come from Seattle having to beat out competition for the 25-year-old lineman.
- The Seahawks may be evolving on Joeckel’s position. In April, Pete Carroll said Joeckel would begin at left tackle. Now, he’s playing more left guard after unconventional NFLer George Fant has convinced the Seahawks he’s a viable option to stay at left tackle, per Kapadia. Fant, who went from eighth grade to his rookie NFL season without playing football, has gained more than 20 pounds this year. Kapadia reports the former Western Kentucky basketball player is up to 320 after suiting up at 296 last season. Joeckel is still receiving looks at tackle and guard, but Kapadia notes guard will probably be where he plays.
- Seattle also followed through with the move of shifting Mark Glowinski from left to right guard and Germain Ifedi to right tackle, per Kapadia, who identifies Glowinski as being more comfortable on the right side. The third-year player started 16 games at left guard last season but played some right guard as a rookie.
- John Schneider has not used the franchise tag option to retain a player since his first year as Seahawks GM, when he tagged Olindo Mare in 2010, but Jimmy Graham is due to be a free agent in 2018 and has been tagged before. The tight end’s bounce-back 2016 season shows he could have value for a third NFL contract, and Roy Cummings of FanRag Sports writes that it wouldn’t be costly for the team to use the tag on Graham next year. Graham will make $10MM in 2017 after earning $9MM last season. The tight end tag number came in at $9.78MM this year, so a Graham tag in advance of his age-32 season in 2018 would not cost the Hawks much more than they’re already paying him. Seattle is projected to possess $34MM-plus in cap space next year, but this is without contracts for Kam Chancellor or Justin Britt on the books.
