Bengals Prioritizing Andrew Whitworth Deal

The Bengals and left tackle Andrew Whitworth are in discussions regarding a new deal, the pending free agent told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Monday. With the market set to open March 9, the Bengals have made Whitworth their No. 1 priority, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer’s Paul Dehner Jr., who expects the two to reach an agreement (Twitter links).

Nov 30, 2014; Tampa, FL, USA; Cincinnati Bengals tackle Andrew Whitworth (77) blocks against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers during the second quarter at Raymond James Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Although the 35-year-old Whitworth spent some time at guard last season, the Bengals will let him man his typical position as a blindside bookend if he’s with the club in 2017, per Dehner. Whitworth has been a rock at left tackle in Cincinnati, which selected the ex-LSU standout in the second round of the 2006 draft, having logged 164 starts out of 168 appearances and earned three Pro Bowls nods. The 6-foot-7, 325-pounder is now fresh off his third straight 16-start season, one in which he ranked as Pro Football Focus’ second-best tackle among 78 qualifiers.

It’s unclear how much the Bengals would have to pay Whitworth to keep him off the market, but it’s worth noting he played 2016 on a $9MM deal. Given the ever-increasing salary cap, a raise on a short-term pact seems like a strong possibility. Should Whitworth eschew free agency, it would further weaken an already uninspiring class of unsigned tackles. Whitworth is easily the premier option in a group that also includes Riley Reiff, Ryan Clady, Matt Kalil, Luke Joeckel and teammate Eric Winston, among others.

Along with Whitworth and Winston, the Bengals – who have $43MM-plus in cap space – are facing key decisions on soon-to-be free agents like guard Kevin Zeitler, cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick and wide receiver Brandon LaFell. Zeitler might be the most appealing player of the bunch, but he could be on his way out of Cincinnati.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Eric Winston Hopes To Return To Bengals

  • Veteran offensive tackle Eric Winston says he’s “hopeful” about a return to the Bengals, and noted a new deal “looks promising,” per SiriusXM NFL Radio (Twitter link). Thought to be buried on Cincinnati’s depth chart, Winston ended up rotating right tackle snaps with former first-round pick Cedric Ogbuehi, and ultimately played on roughly a quarter of the Bengals’ offensive snaps. Winston, 33, signed a minimum salary benefit contract with Cincinnati in 2016, and would likely be forced to accept a similar deal this year.

Bengals To Sign Bene Benwikere

Try saying this five times fast: the Bengals have agreed to sign cornerback Bene Benwikere. The deal was first reported by Tom Pelissero of USA Today (on Twitter). It’s a one-year pact, agent Bardia Ghahremani tells ESPN.com’s Katherine Terrell (on Twitter). Bene Benwikere (Vertical)

Before signing with Cincinnati, the corner visited with four other teams, according to Pelissero. As previously reported, the Jets also showed interest in Benwikere and hosted him on a visit in early February.

Still only 25 (26 in September), Big Play Bene is hoping to put a trying 2016 in the rear view mirror. Benwikere was released by Carolina early in the 2016 season after one particularly bad game against the Falcons. In that contest, Julio Jones hauled in 12 catches for 300 yards and a touchdown with the majority of the damage coming against the San Jose State product. After the game, Benwikere admitted that he was gassed and that apparently didn’t sit right with Carolina brass.

After Benwikere was cut, the Dolphins claimed him on waivers, beating out the Titans and Redskins thanks to their higher priority. After finishing the regular season on Miami’s taxi squad, he joined the Packers’ p-squad during the playoffs.

Bengals Unlikely To Make Big Moves In Free Agency

  • Despite having over $43MM in cap space, the Bengals are unlikely to make any significant splashes in free agency, per Katherine Terrell of ESPN.com. Odds are greater that Cincinnati will focus on its own soon-to-be free agents – including left tackle Andrew Whitworth, guard Kevin Zeitler, cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick and receiver Brandon LaFell – writes Terrell, who notes that the club is also expecting to pick up plenty of help via the draft. On top of the picks the Bengals already have, the league could award them three or four compensatory selections this year as a result of the losses they incurred in free agency last offseason.

Bengals Unlikely To Retain Kevin Zeitler?

Minor NFL Transactions: 2/10/16

Today’s minor moves:

  • The Browns have re-signed exclusive rights free agent wide receiver Rannell Hall, as Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal reports. Cleveland originally signed the 24-year-old Hall off Tampa Bay’s practice squad near the end of the 2015 campaign, but a broken fibula caused him to miss the entirety of the 2016 season. Hall, who’s appeared in just a single NFL contest, will make league minimum salary as he attempts his comeback.
  • The Bears have signed tight end Justin Perillo, a source tells Field Yates of ESPN.com (Twitter link). Perillo, 26, finished the year on the Packers’ practice squad injured reserve after spending eight games on the active roster. All told, Perillo has managed 15 receptions and one touchdown during his three-year career.
  • Linebacker Trevor Roach has retired from the NFL, the Bengals announced today. Roach, 25 next month, originally signed with Cincinnati as an undrafted in 2015, and subsequently bounced between the practice squad and active roster for the next two years. The Nebraska alum appeared in an NFL game for the first time in 2016, ultimately playing in four contests.
  • The Lions announced that they’ve signed safety Rolan Milligan, who spent last offseason with the Cowboys. A 2016 undrafted free agent out of Toledo, Milligan worked out for the Bears, Falcons, and Giants during the season but never landed a contract.

Latest On Bengals CB Adam Jones

Bengals Claim WR Chris Brown From Cowboys

  • The Bengals have claimed wide receiver Chris Brown off waivers from the Cowboys, according to ESPN’s Field Yates (Twitter link). Brown, who went undrafted out of Notre Dame last year, broke his foot during training camp and spent the season on injured reserve.

2017 NFL Draft Order Set

With the Super Bowl in the rear view mirror, the offseason is officially underway for all 32 teams. We now have the complete draft order for the entire first round, with one exception which is noted below.

The Patriots, of course, will have the honor of having the last pick. The Falcons, after losing in heartbreaking fashion, will have the penultimate selection in the first round.

Here is the complete order, via ESPN.com’s Field Yates (Twitter links):

1. Browns

2. 49ers

3. Bears

4. Jaguars

5. Titans

6. Jets

7. Chargers

8. Panthers

9. Bengals

10. Bills

11. Saints

12. Browns

13. Cardinals

T-14. Eagles (via the Vikings)

T-14. Colts (Note: The Vikings and Colts have identical records and the same strength of schedule. The tie will be broke by coin flip with the winner getting pick No. 14 and the other team getting the No. 15 pick.)

16. Ravens

17. Redskins

18. Titans

19. Buccaneers

20. Broncos

21. Lions

22. Dolphins

23. Giants

24. Raiders

25. Texans

26. Seahawks

27. Chiefs

28. Cowboys

29. Packers

30. Steelers

31. Falcons

32. Patriots

Show all