The Bengals announced their final 53-man roster. One of the moves will be, as expected, placing Darqueze Dennard on their reserve/PUP list. Dennard now must miss at least the first six games of the season. This comes after the Bengals re-signed their former first-round pick on a one-year, $5MM deal. The team knew Dennard needed a post-signing knee surgery, but the arthroscopic procedure was performed several months ago.
Cincinnati is also placing Jonah Williams on its PUP list instead of season-ending IR. While the first-round tackle was believed to be set to miss the season, this move is a way of retaining a chance he can recover. Williams would revert to IR if he cannot recover from the shoulder injury he sustained this offseason.
Here’s the full list of the Bengals’ moves to meet the 53-man limit:
Placed on Reserve/Injured list:
- RB Rodney Anderson (rookie, Oklahoma; knee injury)
- QB Jeff Driskel (fourth-year player, Louisiana Tech; hamstring injury)
Placed on the Reserve/PUP list:
- CB Darqueze Dennard (sixth-year player, Michigan State; knee injury)
- OT Jonah Williams (rookie, Alabama; shoulder injury)
- G John Jerry (ninth-year player, Mississippi)
- TE Moritz Böhringer (first-year player, Aalen [Germany])
- CB Jordan Brown (rookie, South Dakota State)
- WR Ventell Bryant (rookie, Temple)
- CB Anthony Chesley (rookie, Coastal Carolina)
- WR Cody Core (fourth-year player, Mississippi)
- LB Deshaun Davis (rookie, Auburn)
- LB Noah Dawkins (rookie, The Citadel)
- HB Jordan Ellis (rookie, Virginia)
- OT Justin Evans (first-year player, South Carolina State)
- HB Quinton Flowers (first-year player, South Florida)
- TE Jordan Franks (second-year player, Central Florida)
- CB Davontae Harris (second-year player, Illinois State)
- S Trayvon Henderson (second-year player, Hawaii)
- LB Malik Jefferson (second-year player, Texas)
- S Tyree Kinnel (rookie, Michigan)
- C Brad Lundblade (first-year player, Oklahoma State)
- WR Stanley Morgan (rookie, Nebraska)
- CB KeiVarae Russell (fourth-year player, Notre Dame)
- TE Mason Schreck (third-year player, Buffalo)
- WR Hunter Sharp (first-year player, Utah State; injury settlement)
- G Keaton Sutherland (rookie, Texas A&M)
- G Alex Redmond (third-year player, UCLA, suspended for four games)
All of the waived players, except for Core, will be practice squad eligible if they clear waivers.
Today’s draft pick signings:
- The Titans have agreed to terms with fourth-round safety Amani Hooker, the club announced. Hooker was projected to come off the board much earlier than Round 4, leading Mike Renner of Pro Football Focus to label his selection as one of the steals of the draft. The 2019 Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year, Hooker was also named first-team All-Big Ten and second-team All-American. Additionally, Hooker posted elite athletic testing and is a versatile scheme fit, per Lance Zierlein of NFL.com, making his draft day fall all the more confusing. The Iowa product is likely to play in three-safety looks alongside fellow Tennessee defensive backs Kevin Byard and Kenny Vaccaro, and could be viewed as the long-term starter opposite Byard.
- Sixth-round linebacker Deshaun Davis has signed his rookie deal with the Bengals, Cincinnati announced today. Davis posted 112 tackles (15 for loss) during his final season at Auburn, but tested as a very poor athlete at the combine, per Kent Lee Platte of SB Nation (Twitter link). He’ll have to shine on special teams duty in order to land a roster spot in Cincinnati. Davis is the sixth Bengals draft choice under contract, but the club still has its top four picks unsigned: offensive tackle Jonah Williams, tight end Drew Sample, linebacker Germaine Pratt, and quarterback Ryan Finley.