Giants Request Permission To Interview Dolphins DC

New Giants head coach Joe Judge continues working to fill out his staff. New York has requested permission to interview Dolphins defensive coordinator Patrick Graham for the same position, according to Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network. Garafolo adds that the request is expected to be granted.

Generally, teams are hesitant to allow their coaches to interview with other teams unless it is for a clear promotion. However, Judge worked with Graham and current Dolphins head coach Brian Flores with the Patriots, which may make Miami more willing to make an exception. Graham not only shares a history with Judge, but also worked with the Giants from 2016-17, serving as the team’s defensive line coach from 2016-17.

On the surface, it would seem like a surprise for a coach on a 5-11 team to be receiving outside interest, but entering the season many wondered if the Dolphins would manage to win any games. Miami clearly entered the season with a tank in mind, making minimal free agent additions last offseason and trading the team’s best offensive lineman (Laremy Tunsil), defensive back (Minkah Fitzpatrick), and wide receiver (Kenny Stills) early in the season. While the Dolphins are by no means a legitimate contender, they finished the season winning three of their final five games, including wins against the Eagles and Patriots.

Since Judge was relatively unknown before the Giants announced his hiring this week, little is known about the people he might target to fill out his staff. At least to start, it appears he will continue to look to the Bill Belichick coaching tree.

NFL Draft Rumors: Lions, Giants, Dolphins

Here’s the latest NFL Draft buzz from Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller:

  • Miller would be positively stunned if the Bengals don’t draft LSU quarterback Joe Burrow No. 1 overall and the Redskins don’t grab Ohio State defensive end Chase Young with the No. 2 pick.
  • With that in mind, Miller feels the draft truly starts at No. 3 overall, where the Lions pick. Sources tell Miller that they’ll look heavily at Ohio State cornerback Jeff Okudah and Auburn defensive lineman Derrick Brown. Then again, it’s a prime trade-back spot – teams like the Dolphins, Chargers, and Panthers could move up to land a QB.
  • Unless new head coach Joe Judge sways him in a different direction, Giants GM Dave Gettleman is expected to look at edge-rushers, left tackles, and wide receivers with the No. 4 pick. “He can’t help himself with linemen, so slot your top-rated offensive tackle there,” one scout who previously worked with Gettleman said. Alabama’s Jedrick Wills Jr. and Georgia’s Andrew Thomas rank among the top tackles in this year’s crop.
  • No team has done more work on Oregon’s Justin Herbert than the Dolphins, who own the No. 5 pick and two more selections later on, Miller writes. The Dolphins will almost certainly go QB here, then shift their attention to offensive tackle, edge-rusher, and running back help.
  • The same source who tipped Miller off to the Cardinals‘ love of Kyler Murray last year says they’re wild about Oklahoma wide receiver CeeDee Lamb. But, internally, they also feel that the offensive line need is too big to overlook.
  • The Raiders, with two picks in the first round, are looking to go defense and wide receiver, Miller hears.
  • The Bills are already nervous about other teams leapfrogging them for wide receivers, Miller hears. The Bills own the No. 22 overall pick and nine total selections in the draft.
  • The Patriots are impossible to read, but none of Miller’s sources believe that they’ll draft a quarterback early on. Tom Brady has vowed to continue playing, but he’ll also explore his options in free agency.

NFL Reserve/Futures Contracts: 1/6/20

Here are Monday’s reserve/futures deals:

Green Bay Packers

  • WR Reggie Begelton, RB Elijah Wellman

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

Oakland Raiders

  • CB Dylan Mabin

Philadelphia Eagles

Updated 2020 NFL Draft Order

After a weekend full of drama and upsets, four more spots have been determined in this year’s NFL Draft order. Most notably – the Patriots will pick No. 23 overall, their highest original pick since 2006.

Here’s the updated rundown, from Nos. 1-24:

1. Bengals (2-14)

2. Redskins (3-13)

3. Lions (3-12-1)

4. Giants (4-12)

5. Dolphins (5-11)

6. Chargers (5-11)

7. Panthers (5-11)

8. Cardinals (5-10-1)

9. Jaguars (6-10)

10. Browns (6-10)

11. Jets (7-9)

12. Raiders (7-9)

13. Colts (7-9)

14. Buccaneers (7-9)

15. Broncos (7-9)

16. Falcons (7-9)

17. Cowboys (8-8)

18. Dolphins (via Steelers 8-8)

19. Raiders (via Bears 8-8)

20. Jaguars (via Rams 9-7)

21. Eagles (9-7)

22. Bills (10-6)

23. Patriots (12-4)

24. Saints (13-3)

Dolphins, Vince Biegel Discussing Extension

The Dolphins have told linebacker Vince Biegel that they would like to re-sign him, according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. The two sides have already discussed the possibility of a multiyear deal, so it sounds like a fresh contract could come his way before he hits restricted free agency in March. 

We’ll get something done,” Biegel said, adding that he wants to remain in Miami.

The Dolphins acquired Biegel in August when they shipped linebacker Kiko Alonso to the Saints. This year, Biegel notched 59 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and an interception in 15 games for Miami while making ten starts. In his two previous pro seasons with the Saints, the 26-year-old had never started a game.

Armed with upwards of $100MM in cap space, the Dolphins should have plenty of cash available to re-up Biegel and address their many needs on both sides of the ball. Biegel will turn 27 in July, so a new pact could lock him down through his prime years.

In other Dolphins news, Chan Gailey was hired on New Year’s Eve to serve as the club’s new offensive coordinator. He replaces Chad O’Shea, who was canned after just one season in South Beach.

NFL Reserve/Futures Contracts: 12/31/19

Here are the reserve/futures deals handed out on New Year’s Eve:

Cincinnati Bengals

Detroit Lions

Miami Dolphins

New York Jets

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Dolphins Hire Chan Gailey As OC

One day after firing Chad O’Shea, the Dolphins are bringing in a familiar face to fill their offensive coordinator vacancy. Per Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (via Twitter), Miami will hire Chan Gailey as its new OC. Gailey served in that same capacity with the Dolphins from 2000-01.

It’s something of a curious move, given that the Dolphins seemed to be finding their groove under O’Shea. Although the overall offensive numbers look bleak — the team finished 27th in the NFL in total offense, last in rushing offense, and 25th in scoring offense in 2019 — they did rank in the top-10 in passing offense and top-15 in scoring offense after Ryan Fitzpatrick took over the starting QB job on a full-time basis beginning in Week 6.

However, as Cameron Wolfe of ESPN.com writes, O’Shea’s system was frequently described as complex — which makes sense given the amount of time he spent in the Patriots’ organization — and with a number of young players on the roster and a rookie signal-caller likely coming in, head coach Brian Flores perhaps wanted something a little more digestible. Gailey’s spread offense could fit the bill.

Plus, it’s not as though Fitzpatrick is unfamiliar with Gailey’s system. Gailey was Fitzpatrick’s OC with the Jets from 2015-16 and his head coach with the Bills from 2010-12. And as Wolfe says, the team wants Fitzpatrick back in 2020 for the final year of his two-year deal and to bridge the gap to the young QB it will presumably select in the upcoming draft.

Gailey, 67, is a familiar name to NFL fans. He has served as the offensive coordinator for four different teams (the Steelers, Dolphins, Chiefs, and Jets) and as the head coach of two (the Cowboys and Bills). He is just 34-48 as a head coach, including an 0-2 mark in the playoffs, and he has not been successful at every stop, but he obviously has the respect of Flores and will attempt to mold Miami’s young offense.

Coaching Notes: Giants, Rhule, Redskins, Dolphins

We heard rumblings that Baylor head coach Matt Rhule will be the Giants’ top choice to replace Pat Shurmur, who was canned as head coach earlier today. Yahoo’s Charles Robinson tweets that the organization is “motivated and borderline excited” to hear of Rhule’s various requests, and “they’ll be ears” if the coach asks to revamp any areas of the organization. This was a topic of contention last year when Rhule interviewed with the Jets.

Meanwhile, NFL.com’s Mike Garafolo clarifies (on Twitter) that while Rhule would have the “leeway to make big decisions throughout the building,” the coach doesn’t necessarily want full personnel control.

Speaking of, Executive Vice President (and co-owner) Steve Tisch said he plans to take on a bigger role with the organization in 2020.

“I am involved. I would like to be more involved. I will become more involved,” he said (via ESPN’s Jordan Raanan on Twitter).

Let’s check out some more coaching notes from around the NFL…

  • Those waiting for Ron Rivera‘s impending hiring by the Redskins will have to wait a bit longer. NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport said negotiations between the organization and their presumed next coach good drag into Tuesday (Twitter link). However, the two sides are still expected to come to agreement on a deal.
  • The Dolphins let go of offensive coordinator Chad O’Shea earlier today, but the organization doesn’t doubt his ability to coach receivers. Sources told Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network (Twitter link) that the 47-year-old is viewed as a great wide receivers coach, but “people inside the building didn’t view him as a good coordinator.” The longtime assistant spent 10 years with the Patriots as the club’s WRs coach and joined former New England DC Brian Flores in South Beach when Flores became the ‘Fins head coach this year.
  • O’Shea wasn’t the only member of the Dolphins who won’t be back next season. Veteran offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo told NFL.com’s Mike Garafolo that he and the organization have decided to part ways (Twitter link). Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald tweets that the Dolphins have also let go of safeties coach Tony Oden.

Dolphins Fire OC Chad O’Shea

The Dolphins have fired offensive coordinator Chad O’Shea, per Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network (Twitter link). The longtime assistant spent 10 years with the Patriots as the club’s WRs coach and joined former New England DC Brian Flores in South Beach when Flores became the ‘Fins head coach this year. 

However, Miami’s offense was ranked 27th in the league in 2019, and while an overall lack of talent is mostly to blame for that, Flores has elected to move in a different direction.

The Dolphins finished the 2019 season with the worst rushing offense in the NFL and just 25th in overall points scored. The front office is expected to overhaul the personnel in the coming months and, when those new players are in the mix, they’ll be led by a new OC.

The Dolphins’ new-look offense will likely include a first-round quarterback and then some. This offseason, the Dolphins will be armed with tons of cap space, plus the No. 5 overall pick, as they look to turn things around.

It was a challenging year for the Dolphins, but there were bright spots. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick kept the club’s spirits up during a five-win season and they closed out the year with three wins in the last five games, including Ws over the Eagles and Patriots.

In addition to firing O’Shea, the Dolphins have also parted ways with offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo.

Dolphins CB Xavien Howard Arrested For Domestic Violence

Dolphins star corner Xavien Howard was arrested last night on charges of domestic battery, as Cameron Wolfe of ESPN.com reports (via Twitter). The alleged incident involved Howard’s fiance.

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald obtained a copy of the police report, which states that Howard and his fiance had an argument about the fiance’s recent purchase of a purse, which she did not tell Howard about. The argument became physical, and Howard allegedly grabbed his fiance’s arm and shoved her against a mirrored glass wall in their bedroom. Howard then let her go, and she fell to the floor on her right arm (Twitter links).

Needless to say, Howard could be facing a significant suspension and fine from the league in addition to whatever criminal penalties he may be facing. Domestic violence is an especially sensitive subject in the NFL these days, and if the allegations are true, the Dolphins can expect to be without their top CB for a few games next season.

Howard signed a five-year, $76.5MM extension with Miami back in May, following a 2018 campaign that saw him notch a league-leading seven interceptions en route to his first Pro Bowl nod. He was one of the few high-level pieces that the rebuilding Dolphins chose to keep for the long haul, though he played just five games in 2019 before being placed on IR with a knee injury.

In a statement, the Dolphins said they are aware of the situation and are gathering information but have no comment at this time.

Show all