East Notes: Bills, Vick, Cowboys, Milliner
The Bills have yet to name a starting quarterback, and it may be several more weeks until they do so. Matt Cassel, E.J. Manuel, and Tyrod Taylor are currently vying for the job, and head coach Rex Ryan admitted today on PFT Live that he and the Bills also considered Michael Vick (Twitter link). However, Ryan had concerns about Vick playing in bad weather in Buffalo. Vick, of course, played for Ryan in New York last year, but it doesn’t appear that his old coach will bring him in for a look this year.
Here’s more from out of the NFL’s two East divisions:
- The Cowboys worked out several players today, bringing in the following players for auditions, according to Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Twitter link): Offensive tackle Cody Clay, running backs Tim Cornett and Demitrius Bronson, and linebackers Jerrell Harris and Alex Singleton.
- Shortly after learning that Antonio Allen had torn his Achilles and waiving the injured safety, the Jets saw another one of their defensive backs go down with an injury. According to a team release, cornerback Dee Milliner, who missed most of last season with an Achilles injury of his own, is undergoing surgery today to repair a torn tendon in his wrist, and will likely be sidelined for six to eight weeks.
- Giants defensive line coach Robert Nunn said today that he has been in contact with Jason Pierre-Paul throughout the offseason, both before and after JPP’s fireworks accident, writes Dan Graziano of ESPN.com. “When I’ve talked to him, we’ve talked more about where he is from a mental standpoint, just texted back and forth to let him know we’re here for him, whatever he needs,” Nunn said. “And his response has been, ‘Coach, I’m good. I want to get myself right and I’ll be back.'”
NFC East Notes: JPP, Giants, Galette
Giants GM Jerry Reese wouldn’t say much about his conversation with Jason Pierre-Paul, but Ed Werder of ESPN.com (on Twitter) hears from a source that nothing has changed with his status. JPP still won’t sign a tender or report to the Giants until he can pass a physical. One person who has spoken with JPP described him (link) as being in good spirits. That source is confident that he’ll play this season, though he’s unsure of when that’ll happen. Here’s more from the NFC East..
- Giants coach Tom Coughlin still hasn’t spoken with JPP but he’s encouraged that he’s still talking to Reese and others in the building, Jordan Raanan of the Star-Ledger (on Twitter).
- By signing troubled linebacker Junior Galette, Washington has shown that nothing matters more than winning, Zac Boyer of The Washington Times writes.
- Washington coach Jay Gruden revealed Monday that rookie cornerback Tevin Mitchel needs surgery for a torn labrum and is likely to miss the entire season, as JP Finlay of CSNWashington.com writes.
- David Moore of The Dallas Morning News wonders if the Cowboys are setting a dangerous precedent that will encourage more players to holdout. Orlando Scandrick, Brandon Carr, and Jeremy Mincey all stared the Cowboys down this offseason and won when it came to their contractual disputes.
- Giants GM Jerry Reese needs his draft picks to start paying off now, Ralph Vacchiano of the Daily News writes.
Giants Notes: JPP, Reese, Mara
Giants GM Jerry Reese told WFAN that he spoke with Jason Pierre-Paul on Sunday, but wouldn’t elaborate on the conversation (via Graziano on Twitter). “[It was] a personal conversation. I want to keep it private,” the GM said. He did say, however, that there’s no timetable for the defensive end’s return (link).
- Reese says that the Giants’ defense can be really strong, even without Pierre-Paul in the lineup, as Tom Canavan of The Associated Press writes. “I think we’ll be really good defensively,” Reese said. “I think we’re going to surprise people. I think we have five defensive ends that we feel like can play and play at a high level at that position. I do think our defense is going to be a better unit than it was last year. I’m excited to see them out there playing.”
- The Giants are trying to build a dominant pass-rusher from the ground up with third-round pick Owamagbe Odighizuwa, Dan Graziano of ESPN.com writes. Still, he’s green and has a long way to go before he can start replicating the production of someone like JPP. Odighizuwa was a 3-4 defensive end at UCLA and wasn’t asked to develop pass-rush moves or get after the quarterback in that scheme so he has a lot to learn.
- Giants owner John Mara told WFAN that he believes the NFL will return to Los Angeles with two teams by 2016, Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News tweets.
NFC East Notes: JPP, Giants, Gallette
When asked whether he had any idea when Jason Pierre-Paul might report to training camp, Giants co-owner John Mara said that he has no clue, as Jordan Raanan of the Star-Ledger writes.
“I don’t know how many fingers he has,” Mara said. “We know what we’ve read and what we’ve been told, but until we actually see him and the extent of the damage, it’s hard to make any sort of prediction as to what kind of condition he’s in.”
As the Giants wait to learn more information about their star defensive end, let’s take a look at more from the NFC East..
- When asked about a new deal with quarterback Eli Manning, the Giants owner once again expressed optimism, but also said that it will take some time as Manning’s agent is asking for an unreasonable amount of money in negotiations, Raanan tweets.
- Former Saints outside linebacker Junior Galette, who is meeting with Washington tonight, has also drawn interest from six other teams, John Keim of ESPN.com tweets. However, Galette would prefer Washington over his other suitors and feels like it’s a good fit, Mike Jones of the Washington Post tweets.
- Interestingly enough, Zac Boyer of The Washington Times (on Twitter) hears that Washington is the only team that has reached out with interest in Galette. The Bucs no longer seem to be in the mix, he adds.
NFC East Notes: JPP, Mincey, T. Williams
Giants co-owner John Mara has “no idea’” when Jason Pierre-Paul will report to training camp, Paul Schwartz of the New York Post writes. Mara acknowledged it was “very disappointing” to him that Pierre-Paul refused to see two team officials who traveled down to Florida to check on his physical condition. Mara also said that no one from the organization has seen JPP’s damaged right hand, and he fears the defensive end is not “receiving very good advice right now.”
As Dan Graziano of ESPN.com writes, Pierre-Paul continues to rehab and get his own medical care near his home in South Florida. Here’s more on JPP, along with a couple other NFC East updates:
- Within Graziano’s story, he cites a source who says that Pierre-Paul expects to be healthy and to return to the field for the Giants this season “sooner than a lot of people think.”
- With defensive end Jeremy Mincey preparing to hold out from Cowboys camp, it sounds like the team is preparing to play hardball. According to Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Twitter link), Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones said today that Mincey will be fined for each day of camp he misses, and the team won’t discuss a new deal as long as he’s absent.
- Having locked up linebacker Ryan Kerrigan to a long-term extension, Washington figures to focus on left tackle Trent Williams next. Head coach Jay Gruden confirmed today that Williams, who is entering the final year of his current deal, is in talks with the team about a new contract, tweets Zac Boyer of the Washington Times.
La Canfora On WR Extensions, Colts, JPP, Jets
After addressing a few burning questions on DeflateGate, the Marcus Mariota contract negotiations, and Junior Galette‘s release, Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com takes a look around the rest of the NFL, passing along several noteworthy tidbits from all over the league. Let’s dive right in and check out a few of the highlights from La Canfora’s newest piece…
- La Canfora expects both Julio Jones and A.J. Green to sign new deals before the 2015 season begins, and estimates that both deals will fall in the range of $13MM per year. I’m guessing that figure takes into account their current $10.176MM salaries for 2015, so the annual average of the new money would be closer to the $14MM per year that Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas received.
- Several executives around the league believe that Andrew Luck‘s price tag may end up being so high that it puts the Colts in a bind with T.Y. Hilton. La Canfora thinks Hilton’s extension could come in at close to $12MM per year, and some observers aren’t convinced Indianapolis would go that high.
- Jason Pierre-Paul and the Giants will likely come to terms on a one-year contract agreement that features per-game roster bonuses, says La Canfora, adding that New York also hopes to get something out of Will Beatty in the season’s second half.
- La Canfora suggests that Muhammad Wilkerson and the Jets should consider working out a short-term extension – perhaps for two or three years – that gives the standout defensive lineman a nice chunk of guaranteed money and buys the team some time to make long-term decisions on Sheldon Richardson and Leonard Williams. Wilkerson would be “very open” to the idea, per La Canfora.
- Some team executives around the league raised an eyebrow at the Steelers‘ big-money extension for Cameron Heyward. However, Pittsburgh likes Heyward more than a lot of clubs do and was willing to take a “calculated gamble” on his upside, writes La Canfora.
NFC Notes: Cardinals, Galette, Holmgren, JPP
Cardinals wideout Damond Powell was shot Friday night at his home in Toledo, Ohio, the city police announced today (via Fox10Tv.com). The undrafted rookie was reportedly sitting in his driveway with friends when shots were fired from a car down the street.
Police do not believe the injuries to be life-threatening, and they’ve yet to make an arrest.
The Iowa star finished his two-year career with 31 receptions for 608 yards and five touchdowns. He also added three rushes for 23 yards. The 22-year-old was among 14 undrafted free agents to be picked up by the Cardinals in May.
Let’s check out some more notes from around the NFC…
- Several Saints players told Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller that Junior Galette was a “cancer” in the locking room. The writer praises the Saints for the move, citing the team’s desire to change the culture of the franchise. Meanwhile, ESPN.com’s Mike Triplett says the Saints should be “ripped” for making a bad investment, but should also be “applauded” for not letting money cloud their judgement.
- Mike Holmgren had reached out to the 49ers regarding their head coaching vacancy, but the 67-year-old was told the organization wanted someone younger. “I probably needed to hear that because you get your ego stroked and you’re flattered when people call you and you kind of get into a place where I’m not sure you’re making great decisions, but when I heard that I said, ‘Okay, I needed to hear that and now I’m going onto other things,’” Holmgren told CBS Sports’ Rich Eisen (via ProFootballTalk.com’s Mike Florio).
- Giants legend Phil Simms told SiriusXM (via Ebenezer Samuel of the New York Daily News) that defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul should have trusted the organization following his firework accident. Simms cited the organization’s willingness to work with injured players, and Samuel notes that the team held on to David Wilson this past season despite the player suffering a career-ending injury.
NFC East Notes: Bryant, JPP, Schofield
Let’s check in on a few Monday items from around the NFC East….
- After all the talk about Dez Bryant potentially signing a contract that would make him a “Cowboy for life,” the wideout’s new deal will only run through 2019, and Bryant will be 31 when it expires. As Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com writes, the Cowboys are certainly hoping this contract isn’t Bryant’s last one — his next deal is more likely to be the one that makes him a “Cowboy for life.”
- Appearing at a charity golf event on Monday, Justin Tuck confirmed that he has been in touch with his former Giants teammate, Jason Pierre-Paul. Despite his injury, JPP is in good spirits, according to Tuck. “He’ll be the first one to tell you he made a mistake,” Tuck said, according to Jordan Raanan of NJ.com. “He’s fine. He’s going to have a great year.”
- In 2014, O’Brien Schofield and the Giants agreed to a two-year, $8MM contract. However, that deal never became official, as New York pulled its contract offer due to concerns with Schofield’s left knee. As he tells Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com, Schofield – who signed earlier this offseason with the Falcons – continues to use that rescinded offer as motivation as the 2015 season approaches.
East Notes: Brady, Coughlin, Brooks
We still do not know what will come of the Tom Brady saga, but as we await Roger Goodell‘s final decision on Brady’s suspension, Ben Volin of The Boston Globe provides something of a different perspective on the story. Although it has been widely assumed that Brady would file a lawsuit against the NFL and seek an injunction to stay his suspension unless it is completely wiped out, that decision could be harder than it appears.
After all, although a lawsuit carries little legal risk for Brady–he would not have to share any evidence like text messages or emails, and any sworn statements he makes would likely replicate what he has already said–the on-field ramifications could be a different matter. On the one hand, a lawsuit could delay the process so long that Brady ends up playing the entire 2015 season, but he could also lose in court and be forced to serve the suspension later in the 2015 campaign when the Patriots are fighting for playoff positioning. A loss, of course, would also lend a great deal of validation to Brady’s critics and would cast a pall over his career. Plus, even if he were able to get the suspension lifted, the NFL could appeal and potentially have the suspension restored later in the season.
Brady will have a lot to mull over when Goodell finally hands down his decision, and out of everyone who Brady may consult as he decides how to proceed, it is difficult to find a truly impartial adviser. As Volin writes, “Realistically, only one person can truly decide what’s best for Tom Brady — the man himself. Hopefully, he understands that.”
Now let’s take a look at some more links from the team’s east divisions:
- Jordan Raanan of NJ.com writes that Giants head coach Tom Coughlin needs to get his team into the playoffs this year if he wants to keep his job. Owner John Mara said after the 2014 season that 2015 is a win-or-else year for a lot of people in the organization, and that includes Coughlin.
- Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com examines whether Jason Pierre-Paul would have reached a long-term deal with the Giants if not for the well-publicized fireworks accident that cost JPP his right index finger.
- Tyler Dunne of The Buffalo News details Ron Brooks‘ attempts to establish himself as a starting-caliber corner for the Bills as the former fourth-round pick enters the fourth and final year of his rookie deal.
- Benjamin Hochman and Mark Kiszla of The Denver Post debate whether the Cowboys or Broncos got more bang for their buck in the recent extensions of Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas.
Extra Points: JPP, Kromer, Jets
The NFL hasn’t had a developmental league since NFL Europa ended in 2007, but that could all change soon. Former Giants coach Jim Fassel told SiriusXM NFL Radio (on Twitter), “Don’t be surprised if there was a very good spring league opening next year in the NFL,” Fassel said. Plenty of “minor league” football organizations have come and gone over the years, but it stands to reason that a domestic NFL developmental league could find a way to support itself. Here’s more from around the NFL..
- Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul has been discharged from the South Florida hospital where he had his right index finger amputated, Dan Graziano of ESPN.com writes. There has still been no formal contact between Pierre-Paul and the Giants regarding the next steps in his rehab, but the team hopes to communicate with him as soon as possible about what he and they can expect. JPP has yet to sign his $14.813MM franchise player tender, but the Giants have no plan to rescind it.
- The AFC East staff writers at ESPN.com all weighed in on who they think is the No. 1 rising star in the division. James Walker cast his vote for Jets rookie defensive lineman Leonard Williams. The USC star was the best player available at No. 6 and even though the Jets didn’t need another stud defensive lineman they pounced anyway. Things are a bit crowded on the line, but Walker believes that new Jets head coach Todd Bowles is a smart enough defensive mind to find ways to get Williams on the field.
- The Walton County Sheriff’s office says it’s now also pursuing charges against Zachary Kromer, the son of Bills offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, according to Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports (Twitter links). Zachary Kromer allegedly put his hands around the throat of one of the friends of the boy who claimed to be assaulted by Aaron Kromer.
