Trent Williams Wants To Be Highest-Paid Tackle; Wants Trade If No New Deal
Recent reports have indicated that the Redskins and left tackle Trent Williams could smooth over their well-documented differences and continue their relationship into 2020, and perhaps beyond that. Several weeks ago, Williams and new Washington head coach Ron Rivera had a “positive conversation,” and Rivera commented on that discussion at the scouting combine.
“We’re working through the details,” Rivera told reporters, including John Keim of ESPN.com. “We’re in a good place, a good conversation and we’re going to go from there.”
However, Keim cautions that plenty of obstacles remain. For one, multiple sources say that Williams, who is due a non-guaranteed $12.5MM salary in 2020 — the final year of his current deal — wants to be the highest-paid tackle in the league. Currently, Eagles RT Lane Johnson tops the tackle market in terms of AAV ($18MM), while Titans LT Taylor Lewan is the pace-setter in terms of total value ($80MM) and total guarantees ($50MM). Though Williams has been terrific throughout his career, that’s a lot of coin for a player who will turn 32 before the 2020 season starts and who hasn’t played a full 16-game slate since 2013.
If Williams doesn’t get a new deal from the Redskins, he wants to be traded, as Mike Garafolo reports (via Twitter). That suggests that, despite his sit-down with Rivera, Williams is still not feeling all warm and fuzzy towards the team. However, ESPN’s Josina Anderson hears that Williams has not been given permission to seek a trade (Twitter link).
If the Redskins do trade Williams, they could theoretically trade down from their No. 2 overall selection in the 2020 draft and pick up a potential replacement. They would also clear $10.5MM of salary cap room, increasing their available space to over $70MM. But an elite left tackle is critical for any club, especially one with a young signal-caller like Dwayne Haskins, and if the Redskins can only net a second-round pick in a Williams trade — as many believe — then extending him may be the better option.
Redskins Planning To Host Burrow, Tua
The Redskins used a first-round pick on a quarterback last year, and with the exception of the Cardinals from 2018-19, no team has used back-to-back first-rounders on passers in over 35 years. But a new regime now resides in Washington, and Ron Rivera plans to use at least two of the team’s allotted 30 pre-draft visits on quarterbacks.
Rivera said Wednesday the team is planning to host Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa on visits. The first-year Redskins coach has praised 2019 first-rounder Dwayne Haskins but has not named him the starter for next season.
“Everything is an option. We’re not closing the door on anything,” Rivera said, via NBC Sports Washington’s J.P. Finlay. “One of the things that [VP of player personnel] Kyle [Smith] and I talked about is that we have to go through this process because you don’t know what’s going to happen in front of you and we don’t know what’s going to happen with you. So we’re going to go through and Tua is one of the guys that were bringing in, just so everybody knows. We’re bringing in Burrow and were bringing in Tua, and we will see both of their workouts.”
Rivera added the Redskins will look at Chase Young and cornerbacks at No. 2 overall. Washington has been linked to Young in just about every major mock draft, but the Redskins were split on drafting Haskins last year. He finished with by far the NFL’s worst QBR figure last season, so it cannot be assumed yet the Rivera-led regime will automatically rule out quarterback in Round 1. Although some uncertainty exists regarding Burrow’s interest in playing for the Bengals, he is not expected to be available by the time the Redskins pick.
This also may be a sign the Redskins, like the Giants and Lions, are willing to shop their pick. Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert suitors may determine they need to move ahead of certain teams, and the Redskins, Lions and Giants profile as franchises who will not take a quarterback in Round 1. Teams with greater needs at quarterback — the Dolphins, Chargers and Panthers — sit at Nos. 5-7.
Redskins Release TE Jordan Reed
It sounds like Jordan Reed‘s tenure with the Redskins has come to an end. ESPN’s John Keim reports that the veteran tight end has finally cleared the concussion protocol and will soon be released. The Redskins moved forward with the release, according to ESPN.com’s Field Yates (on Twitter). The move is now official.
The move isn’t overly shocking. While Reed still has two years remaining on his five-year, $47MM contract, the organization can save $8.5MM against just $1.8MM in dead money by cutting him. It was important for Reed to pass the concussion protocol; if he didn’t, the Redskins would have been on the hook for the remainder of his contract (barring a settlement).
Reed suffered this latest concussion – his seventh documented concussion since the start of college – following a helmet-to-helmet hit during Washington’s third preseason game. This forced him to miss the entire 2019 campaign, and the tight end has only suited up for 13 games over the past three seasons.
When Reed saw the field, he was a force. Even with his long list of injuries, the offensive weapon still managed to haul in 329 passes for 3,371 yards and 24 touchdowns between 2013 and 2018. If this is indeed the end of Reed’s tenure with the organization, he’ll rank top-10 in Redskins history for touchdowns and receptions.
While Reed may be done in Washington, it sounds like he’s not ready to hang up his cleats. We learned earlier today that the 29-year-old “100 percent” wants to continue playing.
On the other side, Reed will join a growing list of players let go by the Redskins. The organization released cornerback Josh Norman and wideout Paul Richardson last week.
Latest On Redskins’ Quinton Dunbar
Quinton Dunbar and the Redskins are still at odds. Sources close to the cornerback tell ESPN.com’s Josina Anderson (on Twitter) that his camp has asked to “discuss a reasonable contract restructure,” but the team has refused to engage in talks. With that, Dunbar “remains resolute” in his demand to be cut or traded.
Of course, what constitutes a “reasonable” proposal comes down to a matter of perspective. It’s possible that Dunbar’s team is coming in strong after he graded out as Pro Football Focus’ No. 2 overall ranked cornerback. For reference, Redskins cornerbacks Fabian Moreau and Josh Norman placed around No. 100 on the list.
Dunbar enjoyed a breakout year in 2019 and he has been looking to parlay that performance into a long-term deal. The Redskins, so far, have been unwilling to give him the security that he seeks.
Last year, Dunbar was in preliminary talks with the Bruce Allen-led front office, but that came to a halt after new head coach Ron Rivera came into the picture.
As it stands, Dunbar has one year left on his three-year, $10.5MM deal. At the time of signing, Dunbar was mostly a reserve. Now that he’s proven to be a quality starting cornerback, he’s vastly underpaid.
After parting ways with Josh Norman earlier this month, Rivera could be poised to completely overhaul his cornerback group.
Redskins’ Jordan Reed Wants To Play
Jordan Reed missed the entire 2019 season after suffering the seventh documented concussion of his career. Many have wondered if it would be best for the tight end to walk away from the game, but according to one source who spoke with ESPN.com’s John Keim, he “100 percent” wants to continue playing (Twitter link). 
When healthy and on the field, Reed has been a focal point of the Redskins’ offense. He caught 329 passes for 3,371 yaards and 24 touchdowns between 2013 and 2018, even though most of those seasons were shortened by medical issues. When he was at or near full strength, he was nearly unstoppable.
In 2015, when he suited up for a career-high 14 games, he tallied an 87/952/11 stat line with a catch rate of 76.3%. In 2016, he finally secured his first Pro Bowl nod as he notched 66 grabs for 686 yards and six TDs in just 12 games. Unfortunately, in the last three years, he’s suited up for just 13 games out of a possible 48 contests.
Whether Reed returns or not, the Redskins will have to fortify their tight end group this offseason. Veteran Vernon Davis retired earlier this month (he also missed time with concussion issues in 2019), leaving them perilously thin at the position.
Reed has two years to go on his five-year, ~$47MM deal with the Redskins. The team can release him this offseason to save $8.5MM against just $1.8MM in dead money, provided that is cleared from the NFL’s concussion protocol. Otherwise, the Redskins would still be on the hook, unless they’re able to negotiate a settlement.
Redskins Exercise Adrian Peterson’s Option
The Redskins announced that they have exercised Adrian Peterson‘s option for the 2020 season. With that, they’ve committed to the legendary running back for his age-35 campaign. 
[RELATED: Greg Olsen Turns Down Redskins, Signs With Seahawks]
Peterson will count for a $3.1MM hit against the Redskins’ 2020 cap. Had they declined the option, the Redskins would have saved $2.4MM.
In 2020, Peterson will be chasing history. He currently sits fifth on the NFL’s all-time rushing list and he can leapfrog Barry Sanders with another ~1,000 yards. That won’t be easy to do, but Peterson ran for 1,042 yards in his first season with the Redskins and notched 898 yards on the ground last year.
Peterson has had his ups and downs, but he staved off Father Time in 2019. Last year, he played in 15 games and averaged 4.3 yards per tote. At the same time, Derrius Guice was limited to just five games and there are serious question marks about his status given his longstanding medical history.
Bringing back Peterson solves one part of the Redskins’ RB puzzle. They still have to figure out what they’ll do with pass-catching specialist Chris Thompson, who is slated for free agency. The Redskins will also have to keep an eye on 2019 fourth-round pick Bryce Love who has yet to play an NFL down thanks to his pre-draft ACL tear.
Seahawks Sign TE Greg Olsen
Greg Olsen‘s first free agency tour will produce a deal with the Seahawks. The veteran tight end will choose Seattle over Buffalo and Washington, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (on Twitter).
The 13-year veteran agreed to a one-year, $7MM deal with the Seahawks, per Schefter, who adds this pact comes with $5.5MM guaranteed. The chance to play with Russell Wilson helped make Seattle a more attractive destination than those with ex-Panthers staffers in place, per Schefter (on Twitter).
Wilson has gone through a few tight ends since Jimmy Graham‘s departure. Ed Dickson experienced consistent injury troubles over the past two years; so has promising youngster Will Dissly. Olsen will add a proven weapon to Seattle’s pass-catching corps, coming in for his age-35 season.
The Seahawks last season were down both Dickson and Dissly, and they traded Nick Vannett to the Steelers early in the season. Jacob Hollister started both playoff games. Barring injury, Olsen will be in line to join Tyler Lockett and D.K. Metcalf as one of Wilson’s top three targets next season. The Seahawks will be Olsen’s third team, following the Bears and Panthers.
In nine Carolina seasons, Olsen became one of the best players in franchise history. He eclipsed 1,000 yards en route to three Pro Bowls from 2014-16 and helped the Panthers to a 15-1 season that produced an NFC championship. Since coming into the league as a first-round pick out of Miami in 2007, Olsen has 8,444 receiving yards — third-most in the NFL among tight ends in that span.
Olsen, however, experienced significant foot trouble late in his Panthers tenure. Although Olsen played 14 games last season, he missed 16 games between the 2017-18 campaigns because of multiple foot maladies. This marks another injury-prone tight end on Seattle’s roster. The potentially rebuilding Panthers released Olsen, who had one more season left on his Carolina contract, earlier this month.
This will put Ron Rivera‘s Redskins in the market for another tight end and may move Sean McDermott‘s Bills to pursue one as well. FOX will need to delay plans to hire Olsen for one of its Sunday broadcast teams as well. The network has used Olsen for multiple broadcasts late in his career and made him an offer to join full-time this offseason.
Minor NFL Transactions: 2/14/20
We’ll keep track of today’s minor moves here:
Washington Redskins
- Released: DB Kenny Ladler, DE Chris Odom
Ladler spent some time with Washington in 2018, and then was signed off the street for Week 17 this past season, playing almost the entire game. Odom was on and off the practice squad and appeared in four games this past year, racking up two sacks.
Redskins Release Paul Richardson
The Redskins could be on the verge of a Valentine’s Day massacre. Shortly after cutting Josh Norman, they released wide receiver Paul Richardson, according to Mike Garafolo of NFL.com (on Twitter). 
[RELATED: Redskins Release Josh Norman]
The Redskins gave Richardson a five-year, $40MM contract in 2018 with the expectation that he would take off in his prime years. Things, unfortunately, did not work out. Injuries have limited the former second-round pick to just 17 combined games over the last two seasons. resulting in a combined stat line of 48 catches, 507 yards, and four touchdowns. He also averaged just 10.6 yards per grab; the Redskins expected him to be a deep threat.
By releasing Richardson, the Redskins will save $2.5MM and incur $6MM in dead money. It’s a steep price to pay, but the Redskins’ new regime did not see much value in keeping him on the roster.
Richardson was something of a one-year wonder. He made noise in 2016 with the Seahawks as a supporting target, but he took a giant leap forward in 2017 as he caught 44 passes for 703 yards and six touchdowns. That averaged out to 16 yards per grab and positioned him as one of the best available receivers in the forthcoming free agent class.
The Colorado product’s natural ability has never been in question; his ability to stay on the field has been the main issue. Thanks to an ACL in Seattle’s divisional playoff win against the Panthers, he missed Super Bowl XLIX and all but one game in 2015. In six seasons as a pro, Richardson has only been healthy for about half of them.
Latest On Greg Olsen
Greg Olsen‘s free agency tour has come to an end after three stops, according to ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter (on Twitter). The tight end is currently in negotiations with the Bills, Redskins, and Seahawks, and he will not be meeting with any other teams. 
The Panthers parted ways with Olsen earlier this offseason in yet another signal that they are prepared for a total rebuild. This, of course, came weeks after the dismissal of longtime head coach Ron Rivera. Soon, the Panthers’ revamp may result in the release of one-time MVP quarterback Cam Newton.
Back to Olsen – the veteran has rebuffed numerous offers from multiple networks who are hoping to lure him into the broadcast booth. Instead, he’s intent on playing at least one more season in the NFL with an eye on contending for a championship. If winning is Olsen’s priority, one has to think that the Seahawks would be at the top of his wishlist.
The Bills and Redskins also hold appeal for Olsen, who will turn 35 in March. In Buffalo, Olsen could be a key part of the offense and siphon snaps from youngster Dawson Knox. With the Redskins, Olsen would get to rejoin longtime mentor Ron Rivera. Depending on how things shake out in D.C., it could even be a full-fledged reunion. The Redskins cut Josh Norman on Friday, but they could fill their void at cornerback by pivoting to James Bradberry, who spent the last four years in Carolina.
At this stage, Olsen is no longer a top-flight tight end. However, he was still reasonably productive last season and it’s clear that he still has some gas in the tank and fire in his belly. For his career, Olsen has notched 718 catches, 8,444 receiving yards and 59 touchdowns.

