Eighteen third-round picks are still unsigned. This round’s contract agreements drag out every year because of CBA language, but as teams approach minicamps, that number figures to drop dramatically. Barton was Seattle’s lone third-round selection. The Seahawks began this draft with four first-round picks, but numerous trades turned that number into 11.
Chosen 88th overall out of Utah, Barton became the first of two linebackers the Seahawks selected. Ben Burr-Kirven (Washington) joined the team as a fifth-round pick. Both Pac-12 products figure to back up Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright and Barkevious Mingo as rookies. Barton made a career-high 117 tackles for the Utes as a senior and registered eight sacks between the 2017 and ’18 seasons.
Here is the Seahawks’ 2019 draft class:
- 1-29: L.J. Collier, DE (TCU): Signed
- 2-47: Marquise Blair, S (Utah): Signed
- 2-64: D.K. Metcalf, WR (Ole Miss): Signed
- 3-88: Cody Barton, LB (Utah): Signed
- 4-120: Gary Jennings, WR (West Virginia): Signed
- 4-124: Phil Haynes, G (Wake Forest): Signed
- 4-132: Ugo Amadi, S (Oregon): Signed
- 5-142: Ben Burr-Kirven, LB (Washington): Signed
- 6-204: Travis Homer, RB (Miami): Signed
- 6-209: Demarcus Christmas, DT (Florida State): Signed
- 7-236: John Ursua, WR (Hawaii): Signed