The original analysis and analysis produced by the PFR staff during the past week:
- Prior to Friday’s 3pm CT deadline for franchise players to agree to extensions with their respective clubs, Zach Links ran down each player’s situation, examining who among the crop was likely to agree to new deals. Eventually, Von Miller (Broncos), Muhammad Wilkerson (Jets), and Justin Tucker (Ravens) inked long-term pacts, while Alshon Jeffery (Bears), Kirk Cousins (Redskins), Trumaine Johnson (Rams), and Eric Berry (Chiefs) will play under the franchise tender.
- In our latest Community Tailgate segment, Rory Parks asked which franchise deadline deal — or non-deal — was the biggest surprise. Wilkerson’s extension with the Jets was so unexpected that it wasn’t even announced until 30 minutes after the deadline, while Berry, on the other hand, was long thought to be closing in on a pact with the Chiefs, but ultimately couldn’t come to terms.
- PFR has continued to look back at the offseasons for all 32 clubs, examining the major signings, departures, trades, and other notable offseason events for each team. We covered six clubs over the past week:
- Meanwhile, PFR has also continued to go over each team’s rookie class with the assistance of scouting guru Dave-Te Thomas, who has served as a consultant to NFL teams for multiple decades. Dave covered five clubs last week:
- Zach rounded up the best of the football blogs in the latest edition of Pigskin Links.