Kenny Vaccaro Sets Deadline For Extension Talks
Safety Kenny Vaccaro has made it clear this offseason that he’d rather sign an extension with the Saints than test free agency next winter. Vaccaro’s willing to risk departing New Orleans, though, as he said Tuesday that he’s not going to allow extension talks to drag into the season.
“I’m not going to do any contract talks during the season, so, if not, then I’ll be a free agent,” Vaccaro said (via Josh Katzenstein of NOLA.com). “If it doesn’t get done, then it doesn’t. I want to concentrate. I don’t want it to be a distraction.”
Of course, if the Saints are motivated to retain Vaccaro beyond this season, the 27-year-old’s deadline could hasten talks. Vaccaro expects his agent to begin discussions with the Saints sometime in the next two weeks. But even if he doesn’t receive either a long-term deal or the franchise tag by next March, Vaccaro would be open to re-signing with New Orleans after free agency opens.
“Even if I do make it to free agency, I still want to play (here). This is my home,” he declared. “My family loves it, but at the end of the day, you’ve got to make the right decisions for your family. I’m not really worried about my contract at all right now. I want us to win now. If we win, everything will take care of itself. If we’d have won last year, maybe something already would’ve happened.”
Vaccaro added that he’d like to stay with the Saints for the rest of his career, but he noted, “If I play good and I hit the open market, then it’s a bidding war and you get overpaid.”
Since entering the league as a first-round pick in 2013, Vaccaro has been one of the few quality pieces of a New Orleans defense that has typically struggled. The ex-Texas Longhorn has started in 55 of 56 appearances, including all 11 last season, when he finished an above-average 38th among Pro Football Focus’ 90 qualified safeties. Vaccaro did miss a quarter of the season on account of a suspension for Adderall use, though, and New Orleans perhaps prepared itself for his exit next year when it used a second-round pick this spring on former Utah safety Marcus Williams.
Latest On Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas
A report earlier this offseason indicated that the Seahawks’ Richard Sherman requested a trade, but the cornerback denied that was the case on Wednesday.
[RELATED: No Extension Talks Between Seahawks, Kam Chancellor]
“It’s just a conversation they have every year. I guess this year, more people knew about it,” Sherman said (via the Associated Press). “It’s a conversation they have every year — everybody’s open, everybody’s available. They just made sure I knew, and you guys found out. Pretty open about it. It was never a situation where anybody asked for it. It was just a conversation.”
Regardless of whether the seventh-year man asked out of Seattle, the club did shop him, as each of Sherman, general manager John Schneider and head coach Pete Carroll have acknowledged as much. The Seahawks were unable to find anyone to bite on their reportedly lofty asking price, though, so the four-time Pro Bowler is set to helm the team’s Legion of Boom secondary once again in 2017. Sherman seems content do that, as the 29-year-old doesn’t harbor any ill feelings against Seattle and suggested the team was only doing its due diligence in placing him on the block.
“If somebody comes with two first-rounders, I wouldn’t blame them in the least, you know? I wouldn’t blame them at all,” he stated (per Sheil Kapadia of ESPN.com). “It’d be another crazy trade. Who was it that got traded like that? Herschel Walker or something like that? But it’s just conversation. I think we have a fantastic relationship and always have. And it’s always been transparent to have those communications and not have them in a rude or discourteous way, but just professionally.”
While there were questions earlier in the offseason over whether Sherman would be a Seahawk in 2017, concerns existed that teammate and safety Earl Thomas, a fellow member of the Legion of Boom, wouldn’t play at all. The 28-year-old considered retirement after suffering a season-ending broken tibia in December, and he explained to 710 ESPN Seattle earlier this week why he nearly called it a career after seven years.
“I’m a speedster. So when I initially broke it, I’m like, ‘Dang, my career’s over with.’ That’s why I sent the tweet out,” said Thomas (via Kapadia). “Obviously I was very disappointed. I felt like I was having the best year of my career. But as you go through it, you learn, you understand that you can bounce back. And that’s where I’m at at this point.”
Unsurprisingly, financial reasons played a part in Thomas’ decision to return. Discussing when he decided to put off retirement, Thomas said: “I couldn’t tell you exactly at what point. It was a little bit of everything. I just felt like it wasn’t time. I saw Eric Berry get that huge deal. There’s never enough of that. So just a lot of things that made me come back.”
Berry, a fellow safety who’s the same age as Thomas, re-signed with the Chiefs on a six-year, $78MM contract in February. Thomas still has two years remaining on the four-year, $40MM pact he inked in 2014, but the five-time Pro Bowler will cash in again if he bounces back from his injury to continue performing at a star-caliber level. While Thomas still hasn’t fully recovered, “he’s doing way beyond what we thought he could be,” noted Carroll. Thomas expects to be on the field when Seattle opens its season in Green Bay on Sept. 10.
Lions Acquire Greg Robinson, Sign Cyrus Kouandjio
The Lions have acquired offensive tackle Greg Robinson from the Rams for a sixth-round pick in 2018, reports ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Additionally, Detroit has signed free agent offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio, according to ESPN’s Field Yates (Twitter links).
Both Robinson and Kouandjio will compete to start at left tackle for the Lions, head coach Jim Caldwell announced. The position became a concern for the Lions when stalwart Taylor Decker suffered a torn labrum during organized team activities, thereby creating an obvious need opposite big-money right tackle Ricky Wagner.
Like Decker, a first-round pick last year, both Robinson and Kouandjio were high selections in recent drafts. However, neither has established himself as a quality NFLer. Robinson disappointed in St. Louis and Los Angeles after going second overall in the 2014 draft, which led the Rams to decline his fifth-year option for 2018 before dealing him. Robinson does come with plenty of experience, having started in 42 of 46 appearances (including all 14 in 2016), though Pro Football Focus ranked him among the league’s worst tackles in each of his first three seasons. He’s due a $3.3MM salary as he enters the final year of his contract.
Kouandjio was in the same draft class as Robinson, and the second-rounder from Alabama is coming off a three-year stint in Buffalo that saw him appear in just 25 of a possible 48 games. He only started in seven of those contests, including a career-high five last year, when PFF placed him a solid 34th among 78 qualified tackles. Despite his recent output, the Bills waived Kouandjio in May after an odd off-field incident in April. The 23-year-old was found partially undressed in a field in Elma, N.Y., not far from the scene of a car accident and taken to a nearby hospital, though he wasn’t arrested.
To create roster space for its two newest players, Detroit waived long snapper Jimmy Landes and tackle Arturo Uzdavinis, per Tim Twentyman of the team’s website (on Twitter).
Saints Working Out LB Mike Morgan, DT Tony McDaniel
The Saints are are auditioning linebacker Mike Morgan and defensive tackle Tony McDaniel during their minicamp, according to Herbie Teope of NOLA.com and Joel Erickson of the Advocate (Twitter link).
Morgan, 29, was nominally the Seahawks’ starting strongside linebacker in 2016, but because Seattle spent so much time in nickel, Morgan’s defensive snaps were limited. Morgan’s contributions were further restricted by injury last year, as he spent eight weeks on injured reserve while dealing with a sports hernia. All told, Morgan played only 138 defensive snaps and posted just 10 tackles. His only other known interest this offseason came from the Jaguars, for whom he auditioned last month.
New Orleans has already augmented its linebacking corps this offseason, as the club signed free agents Manti Te’o and A.J. Klein while using a third-round pick on Florida’s Alex Anzalone. Those three ‘backers will add to an already crowded unit that also includes Craig Robertson, Dannell Ellerbe, Stephone Anthony, and Nathan Stupar.
Like Morgan, McDaniel also spent the 2016 campaign with Seattle, and has in fact played for the Seahawks in three of the past four years. The 32-year-old McDaniel played on 45% of Seattle’s defensive snaps a season ago, racking up 43 tackles and grading as the league’s No. 52 interior defender in the process, per Pro Football Focus. McDaniel could have a path to playing time in New Orleans alongside Sheldon Rankins, especially if Nick Fairley‘s heart condition restricts his ability.
Other notable players working out for the Saints this week include offensive lineman Chris Watt, kicker Patrick Murray, and long snapper Thomas Gafford, per Teope.
Seahawks Haven’t Discussed Extension With Kam Chancellor
Although head coach Pete Carroll yesterday indicated the Seahawks are inclined to work out an extension with safety Kam Chancellor, Seattle has not formally reached out to Chancellor regarding a new contract, as Chancellor explained to reporters, including Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times (Twitter link).
“We would very much like to work something out,” Carroll said Tuesday. “We’re working at it. And that’s really all we’ll say. But we are working at it with every intention of taking care of business. It takes awhile. Things take awhile. His frame of mind and our frame of mind are in a really good place. And we’re going to work hard to get something done. We’ll see if we can.”
Chancellor, who notably held out until Week 3 of the 2015 campaign in the (ultimately failed) hopes of landing a new contract, is scheduled to earn a base salary of $6.8MM and count for ~$8.125MM against the cap in 2017 before becoming a free agent next spring. The 29-year-old Chancellor started 12 games a season ago, playing on roughly two-thirds of Seattle’s defensive snaps while grading as the league’s No. 3 safety, per Pro Football Focus.
Jets Working Out Bobby Rainey, Dexter McCluster
The Jets are continuing to look at free agent offensive players, as running back Bobby Rainey and RB/WR Dexter McCluster are working out for New York during the club’s minicamp session, according to Brian Costello of the New York Post (Twitter link). Rainey and McCluster will join Denard Robinson and Kenbrell Thompkins as notable Jets tryout players this week.
Rainey, 29, spent the 2016 campaign with the Giants, managing 17 carries and 20 receptions in a reserve role. He also played a role on special teams, averaging 6.5 yards per punt return and 25.5 yards per kick return. A five-year NFL veteran, Rainey’s most notable pro seasons came with the Buccaneers in 2013 and 2014, as he rushed for more than 400 yards in each year.
McCluster, meanwhile, signed with the Chargers last September after the club lost fellow back Danny Woodhead for the season. The 27-year-old McCluster appeared in six games before he went down with his own injury, a broken arm suffered during an in-home accident. McCluster didn’t contribute much to the Chargers’ offense, but did post 17 total returns during his short time with the team.
Clearly, the Jets are attempting to upgrade their special teams unit which ranked 31st in DVOA last season. Rainey, McCluster, Robinson, Thompkins, and recent signee Jordan Todman all have experience in the return game. Jalin Marshall, one of New York’s primary return men in 2016, is suspended for the first four games of the 2017 campaign.
Minor NFL Transactions: 6/14/17
Today’s minor moves:
Carolina Panthers
- Signed: WR Cameron Posey
- Waived: S Brian Blechen
Denver Broncos
- Signed: CB Chris Lewis-Harris (Twitter link via Nicki Jhabvala of the Denver Post)
- Waived: CB Taurean Nixon
Green Bay Packers
- Signed: T Robert Leff
- Waived: C Jacob Flores
- Waived off IR with injury settlement: CB David Rivers (Twitter link via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Waived off IR with injury settlement: DE Deondre Barnett (Twitter link via Howard Balzer)
Washington Redskins
- Waived: DB Shakiel Randolph
Ravens Unlikely To Sign Another WR
After signing Jeremy Maclin this week, the Ravens are focused on upgrading their offensive line rather than adding another wide receiver such as Eric Decker or Anquan Boldin, franchise owner Steve Bisciotti told reporters, including Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun.
“If I don’t get an offensive lineman, somebody is going to start shooting at me. If I have one bullet left in that gun, I better save it for an offensive lineman,” Bisciotti said. “I think right now, we have a lot of confidence in Chris Moore to be our fourth wideout and let the competition begin with the fifth and sixth wideout. [Michael] Campanaro, as you know, has to stay healthy and Keenan Reynolds is developing. Chris Matthews is doing some nice things in camp and did nice things last year in camp.
I’d say that I don’t think that we have room for a starter at wide receiver now and I do think there’s going to be some talent out there that could challenge for a starting position on our offensive line. I think I’m going to save that last punch for an offensive lineman.”
Baltimore currently boasts Maclin, Mike Wallace, and former first-round pick Breshad Perriman as its top three wideouts, but that group certainly comes with question marks. Before releasing him, the Chiefs were reportedly concerned Maclin, who signed a two-year deal with the Ravens, had “lost a step”, as Zrebiec writes in a separate piece. Like Maclin, Perriman has dealt with injuries in the recent past, as he missed his entire rookie campaign before posting 33 receptions a season ago.
As Bisciotti alludes to, Baltimore could use another lineman (especially on the interior), and one free agent to whom the club has been linked — former Jets center Nick Mangold — is still available. The two sides are reportedly in a holding pattern, and Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com suggested last month that Mangold may want more money than the Ravens are willing to offer.
Jets LB Demario Davis Accepts Pay Cut
Linebacker Demario Davis accepted a pay cut upon being traded to the Jets earlier this month, according to Field Yates of ESPN.com (Twitter link). Rich Cimini of ESPN.com reported in early June that New York was likely to reduce Davis’ salary after re-acquiring him.
Davis, 28, had been due a base salary of $3.7MM for the upcoming season, but none of that total was guaranteed. Now, Davis will earn a $100K signing bonus, a $900K base salary, and can bring in an additional $1.225MM via incentives. All told, Davis’ new salary cap charge is $2.225MM, meaning Gang Green has shaved $1.475MM off its 2017 cap.
A full-time starter for the Jets from 2013-15, Davis spent the 2016 campaign with the Browns. In 15 starts, Davis racked up 99 tackles, two sacks, and graded as the league’s No. 59 linebacker among 87 qualifiers, per Pro Football Focus. Dealt back to the Jets in exchange for safety Calvin Pryor, Davis figures to start next to Darron Lee now that veteran ‘backer David Harris has been released.
Redskins’ DeAngelo Hall Takes Pay Cut
Redskins safety DeAngelo Hall told reporters today that he is accepting a pay cut for the 2017 season. The move was pretty much expected in order for Hall to remain with the team. 
Initially, Hall was set to earn a base salary of $4.25MM with a cap number above $5MM. Now, Hall will bring in a $2.3MM base salary, according to Mike Jones of the Washington Post (Twitter link), who adds Hall can earn back another $250K if he earns a Pro Bowl nod.
Hall appeared in just 17 of 48 possible regular season games over the past three seasons. Thanks to the torn ACL he suffered last year, it’s possible that he could begin the 2017 season on the physically unable to perform list. All things considered, the 33-year-old didn’t have a ton of leverage on his side when the Redskins pushed for a hair cut.
If Hall is unable to stay healthy this year, they do have safety nets in place. Utility man Su’a Cravens is expected to play at safety more than at linebacker and the team also added free agent D.J. Swearinger as a free agent. Fourth round pick Montae Nicholson will also be competing for time and could see significant reps if he is not overly green. Our friends at Roster Resource have Swearinger and Cravens as the projected starting safeties.



