NFC Notes: A. Smith, Hardy, R. Mathis
As we turn the calendar to June, let’s check out a few Monday morning items from across the NFC, starting with a contract update out of San Francisco….
- After restructuring his contract earlier this offseason, 49ers outside linebacker Aldon Smith is in line for a $200K roster bonus today, tweets Field Yates of ESPN.com.
- Greg Hardy had a run-in with fellow defensive lineman Davon Coleman during a Cowboys’ practice in April, but the reviews on the former Panther have all been positive since then, writes Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. With players, coaches, and executives alike all praising Hardy, it doesn’t appear the Cowboys will have the same sort of buyers’ remorse the Bears did with Ray McDonald.
- Lions cornerback Rashean Mathis has been telling people that his current two-year contract will likely be his last NFL deal, but that isn’t a sure thing — coaches have told him he could extend his career at safety, notes Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press (Twitter links).
- With June 1 having arrived, Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com takes a look at whether the time has come for the Cowboys to address Brandon Carr‘s contract.
- In his latest Monday Morning Quarterback column, Peter King of TheMMQB.com addresses the Adrian Peterson/Vikings standoff, the challenge that new Lions defensive tackle Haloti Ngata is facing, and several other topics from around the league.
- Panthers wideout and return man Philly Brown will go by his given name, Corey Brown, during his second year in Carolina, as Pat James of the Charlotte Observer writes.
Cam Newton, Panthers Nearing Long-Term Deal
10:31am: Newton’s deal won’t be structured like Dalton’s or Kaepernick’s, according to Tom Pelissero of USA Today, who says (via Twitter) to expect significant guaranteed money.
9:31am: According to Rapoport (Twitter link), the five new years on Newton’s deal are expected to be worth more than $100MM.
8:53am: The Panthers and Cam Newton are closing in a long-term extension that would keep the quarterback locked up through the 2020 season, league sources tell Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer (Twitter link). ESPN 730 in Charlotte was the first to tweet that the two sides are nearing an agreement, with both reports suggesting that a deal could be finalized as soon as today.
The Panthers and Newton had been expected to make every effort to work out a long-term arrangement at some point this offseason, but as of last week, negotiations had “barely gotten off the ground,” tweets Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. Rapoport and Person (Twitter link) both indicate that things happened quickly over the last few days, with talks between the team and agents Bus Cook and Tony Paige intensifying over the weekend.
While Russell Wilson‘s contract talks have dominated the rumor mill in recent weeks, Newton is the other notable young quarterback who would be eligible for unrestricted free agency following the 2015 season without a new contract. The former No. 1 overall pick was drafted a year earlier than Wilson – in 2011 rather than 2012 – but the Panthers were able to secure him for an extra season beyond his rookie deal by exercising his fifth-year option for ’15. Newton had been on track to earn a salary of $14.666MM for the coming season.
Newton, 26, has earned a pair of Pro Bowl berths during his first four seasons with the Panthers and is coming off a 2014 campaign in which he threw for 3,127 yards, 18 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions in 14 regular season contests. Despite finishing the season with a 7-8-1 record, Carolina won the NFC South and defeated the Cardinals on Wild Card weekend, the first postseason victory of Newton’s career.
Although Newton’s career passing numbers are somewhat modest, he has provided plenty of value with his legs as well, rushing for 2,571 yards and 33 touchdowns in his four seasons. Additionally, his passing totals were likely stunted somewhat last year due to his mediocre receiving corps — Greg Olsen stepped up and had a career year at tight end, but the wideouts were headed by rookie Kelvin Benjamin and journeyman Jerricho Cotchery. With Benjamin expected to take a step forward in his second year and 2015 second-rounder Devin Funchess added to the mix, Newton should have a little more help going forward.
It’s not clear yet what the numbers on Newton’s new contract will look like. I’d expect his deal to be more player-friendly extensions signed by Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, and Ryan Tannehill, but not as lucrative as contracts like Jay Cutler‘s and Joe Flacco‘s. As Joel Corry of CBSSports.com tweets, Newton’s pact should feature much more guaranteed money than Tannehill got last month ($21.5MM fully guaranteed, $45MM in overall guarantees). An annual average salary in the neighborhood of $20MM also seems likely.
Outside of Newton and Wilson, other big-name quarterbacks whose contracts are set to expire after the 2015 season include Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, and Nick Foles. Of that group, Manning and Rivers are coming off veteran deals, so their negotiations will look a little different than Newton’s or Wilson’s. As for Foles, he’s finishing up his rookie contract, but his next deal will hinge significantly on how he adjusts with his new team in 2015.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.
NFC Mailbags: Rams, Bucs, Vikings, Panthers, Cardinals
It’s Saturday, and that means ESPN.com’s NFL writers are opening their mailbags and answering questions from readers. Let’s start with notes from the NFC…
- Considering Benny Cunningham‘s role as a third-down blocker and kick returner, Nick Wagoner doesn’t believe it’s realistic for the Rams to pay Isaiah Pead just to be the fourth running back.
- Pat Yasinskas wouldn’t be surprised if the Buccaneers and linebacker Lavonte David agree to a longterm extension prior to training camp. The writer guesses an annual value of about $8MM for the former second-round pick.
- The Vikings and Adrian Peterson haven’t made any progress towards a restructured deal, according to Ben Goessling. The writer assumes that the organization would prefer to get Peterson in for a meeting before they sign him to a new deal. Goessling also notes that most of the team’s moves are with an eye towards 2016, when they move into a new stadium. If the team didn’t have plans for Peterson to be on the roster during that season, they wouldn’t be “bothering” with this current back-and-forth.
- If the Panthers offense struggles in 2015, David Newton believes the blame will be attributed to offensive coordinator Mike Shula. However, the writer would caution declaring this a “make-or-break” season for Shula.
- Unless Joe Webb can prove his value as a wideout or special-teams player, Newton has a tough time envisioning the quarterback making the Panthers roster.
- The competition for the Cardinals third quarterback job is Logan Thomas‘ to lose, says Josh Weinfuss. Phillip Sims or Chandler Harnish could ultimately prove to be better options, but Weinfuss believes the competition is coach Bruce Arians‘ way of motivating Thomas.
NFC Links: Ngata, Nelson, Guion, Panthers
Following nine years in Baltimore, Haloti Ngata is now adjusting to a 3-4 scheme in Detroit. The veteran understands the learning curve, but the former Ravens standout is excited to start his career with the Lions nonetheless.
“It’s definitely difficult,” Ngata told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “You’re going to, when you get fatigued, you get back to your old technique, your old ways of doing things. I saw it on film (Tuesday) — I just kind of seen some of my technique going back to what I used to do in Baltimore. So just knowing that once I’m fatigued, I’ve got to still focus, understand what my technique is, what they want me to do on the defense and try to attack all the time.”
Let’s take a look at more notes out of the NFC…
- Packers wideout Jordy Nelson has been tight-lipped in regards to his apparent offseason hip surgery. As ESPNWisconsin’s Jason Wilde notes, the Pro Bowler isn’t focused on the injury, and he’s instead looking forward to a productive season. “Obviously, if it didn’t bother me, I probably wouldn’t have had the surgery. But nothing major,” Nelson said. “I had an opportunity to get some things cleaned up. We did it, and I think it was a good move and feel good about where we’re at moving forward.”
- Packers defensive tackle Letroy Guion still hasn’t heard from the NFL regarding punishment for his offseason arrest, reports ESPN.com’s Rob Demovsky. The writer notes that Green Bay is “bracing for the possibility” that the former fifth-rounder will be out for some time.
- ESPN.com’s David Newton believes the Panthers want one player to step up and replace Greg Hardy‘s production, as opposed to the platoon used most of last season. Ron Rivera seems to have his eyes on one candidate: Frank Alexander. “Frank’s doing a nice job,” Rivera said. “He’s showing that he’s hungry. He’s got a lot to prove personally. He feels that way and [is] working that way. This is his make-or-break season.”
- Michael Oher joined the Panthers on a two-year deal, and the former first-rounder is thrilled with his decision. “It seemed like they wanted me,” Oher told Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer. “I got the (same) feeling going into my rookie year of not wanting to let guys down and guys with a winning culture. For me, it’s about getting back to the basics and fundamentals of doing everything right. Looking myself in the mirror knowing what I have to do and getting better from within.”
NFC South Notes: Brees, Jordan, Panthers
Many were surprised by the Saints‘ offseason trade of star tight end Jimmy Graham, but quarterback Drew Brees has learned to roll with the punches over the years, Evan Woodbery of The Times-Picayune writes. “I love Jimmy and I miss Jimmy, as a player and a person, but life goes on and I like the players that we have,” Brees said. Brees singled out Ben Watson, Josh Hill and third-string tight end Orson Charles as capable replacements for Graham, who is now with the Seahawks. Here’s more from the NFC South..
- Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan played coy when asked about the status of his contract on Thursday, as Katherine Terrell of The Times-Picayune writes. Jordan did confirm that there have been contract talks for more than a year, but wouldn’t say much more. Jordan is currently playing on his fifth-year option.
- Last week we learned that the Saints let two area scouts go. Today, Alex Marvez of FOX Sports (on Twitter) found out that college scouts Brian Adams and Ryan Hollern are the scouts who were fired.
- The Panthers believe that their offseason additions will help to free things up for wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin, The Associated Press writes. The Panthers brought back veteran Ted Ginn Jr. and drafted Devin Funchess from Michigan in the second round this offseason to help beef up a passing game that finished 19th in the league last season. Benjamin, a rising NFL sophomore, impressed as a rookie in 2014.
NFC Mailbags: Washington, Packers, Panthers, Cowboys, Rams
We took a look at ESPN.com’s AFC mailbags earlier this morning. Let’s now shift our focus over to the NFC…
- Scot McCloughan made no changes to the Washington front office following his hiring, but John Keim believes there could be a simple explanation for the lack of turnover. McCloughan seemed to have a good “rhythm” with those remaining in the front office, and Keim hypothesizes that if the GM wanted to make moves, his targets may have been unavailable.
- Despite Mike Neal‘s $4.25MM cap hit for 2015, Rob Demovsky says the Packers‘ linebacker is likely staying put. The 27-year-old was paid $1MM back in March, so if the team wanted to part ways with Neal, they likely would have done it earlier in the offseason.
- The Panthers and outside linebacker Thomas Davis have been having ongoing discussions regarding an extension, according to David Newton. The writer adds that he’d be “shocked beyond belief” if the two sides didn’t come to an agreement prior to training camp, and he notes that Davis could be in line for a two or three-year extension.
- Todd Archer was surprised that Cowboys assistant director of player personnel Will McClay‘s wasn’t mentioned more during the offseason GM searches. The writer wonders if other team’s want to see a larger body of work from McClay, who has only been running the Cowboys’ scouting department for a year.
- The Rams could easily turn to undrafted rookie Zach Laskey for their fullback spot, writes Nick Wagoner. However, it could be difficult to bump Cory Harkey from the role, and Wagoner believes the tight end will see the bulk of the fullback snaps in 2015.
Panthers Sign Marcus Ball
The Panthers have made a small tweak to their roster, signing former Saints safety Marcus Ball and cutting another safety, Kimario McFadden, to make room for the addition, tweets Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer. The pair of moves leaves Carolina’s roster at the maximum 90 players.
Ball, a Georgia native, went undrafted in 2011 before heading north to Canada, where he totaled 142 tackles, four interceptions (two touchdowns) and seven sacks over two seasons with the Toronto Argonauts.
Ball’s performance in the CFL earned him a look last year from the Saints, and while the 27-year-old was hardly a key piece for New Orleans, he contributed on special teams, recording seven tackles in kick and punt coverage, and also logged 98 defensive snaps. Nonetheless, the Saints decided to waive him earlier this month to clear room for their undrafted free agent class.
As for McFadden, he has been touring the NFC South since being signed as an undrafted free agent out of South Carolina State by the Falcons a year ago. The 24-year-old spent time on the practice squads of Atlanta, Tampa Bay, and Carolina in 2014.
Minor Moves: Wednesday
Here are Wednesday’s minor moves from around the NFL, with the latest transactions added to the top of the page throughout the day:
- The Raiders waived safety Terrell Pinson to make room for cornerback Chimdi Chekwa on the team’s 90-man roster, according to Steve Corkran (on Twitter). Pinson, a Louisiana Tech product, was signed as a UDFA earlier this month.
- The Raiders announced that they have signed fifth-round linebacker Ben Heeney, according to Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post (on Twitter).
Earlier updates:
- The Browns have signed fourth-round defensive back Ibraheim Campbell to his rookie deal, the club announced today in a press release. No team selected more players than Cleveland in the 2015 draft, and the Browns now have 11 of their 12 picks under contract.
- The Chargers swapped one signal-caller for another at the back of their roster today, officially signing former Boston College quarterback Chase Rettig and cutting quarterback Cole Stoudt.
- The Packers have moved one step closer to locking up their draft class by signing third-round receiver Ty Montgomery, per Rob Demovksy of ESPN.com (via Twitter). After locking up Montgomery, the 205th draft pick to reach a deal with his team, Green Bay only has first-rounder Damarious Randall left to sign.
- Former Chargers defensive tackle Chas Alecxih has signed with the Panthers, the team announced today (via Twitter). To make room for Alecxih, Carolina has parted ways with offensive lineman Edmund Kugbila. Kugbila, who will have to pass through waivers before hitting the open market, was a fourth-round pick back in 2013.
- After inviting him to their rookie minicamp as a tryout player, the Colts have signed kicker Taylor Pontius to a contract, the team announced today (Twitter link). Pontius almost certainly won’t displace incumbent kicker Adam Vinatieri, but as Mike Wilkering of Pro Football Talk observes, a couple Vinatieri understudies have found starting jobs elsewhere in recent years.
Zach Links contributed to this post.
South Notes: Mettenberger, Luck, Newton
Shortly after the Titans used the second overall pick in this year’s draft on quarterback Marcus Mariota, a report surfaced suggesting that incumbent signal-caller Zach Mettenberger wanted to be traded out of Tennessee. Mettenberger and the Titans quickly denied that claim, and now the second-year QB has taken a more significant step to show that he’s happy in Tennessee.
According to Terry McCormick of TitanInsider.com (Twitter links), Mettenberger has changed agents, going from Joe Linta to CAA’s Tom Condon and Jimmy Sexton. Although Mettenberger hasn’t explicitly stated his motivation for the change, McCormick notes that the post-draft trade talk was pinned on Linta, while Sexton also represents Titans head coach Ken Whisenhunt.
Here’s more from around the NFL’s two South divisions:
- Ryan Tannehill belongs to the same draft class as Andrew Luck, but yesterday’s contract extension for the Dolphins quarterback means nothing for the former No. 1 pick, writes Mike Wells of ESPN.com. As Wells observes, Luck is in a “different bracket” than Tannehill, meaning their contracts almost certainly look all that similar when all is said and done.
- Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer believes the Tannehill extension doesn’t mean much for Cam Newton‘s next contract either, though Person notes that it increases the floor for QBs around the league.
- Zach Strief doesn’t have any misconceptions about Andrus Peat‘s future role with the Saints, telling Mike Triplett of ESPN.com that the 13th overall pick is going to be “taking my job eventually.” With Peat preparing to play right tackle, Strief also shot down the idea that he could transition to left guard. “[Tim Lelito and Senio Kelemete] are two excellent football players, and two guys I’m never gonna beat out as a guard,” Strief said. “So it’ll be one of those two.”
- The Titans are looking for their rookie running backs to lose some weight and get in better shape, writes Paul Kuharsky of ESPN.com.
Latest Mailbags: Panthers, Jaguars
Here are some additional mailbag stances as the weekend closes.
- Fifth-round pick Cameron Artis-Payne will be the Panthers‘ No. 2 running back behind injury-prone Jonathan Stewart, notes ESPN.com’s David Newton. The ESPN scribe expects the Auburn runner to leapfrog veteran backup Fozzy Whittaker on the depth chart. Newton expects undrafted free agent Brandon Wegher, an NAIA product and former Iowa transfer, to outwork Whitaker for the No. 3 job.
- Newton anticipates Devin Funchess to slot in as the No. 2 wideout alongside Kelvin Benjamin at some point this season, which would give the Panthers one of the largest starting tandems in the game. Also viewed as a potential tight end, Funchess’ potential to play inside and outside gives him an edge on Philly Brown, Ted Ginn and Jerricho Cotchery, according to Newton.
- Cornerback Nick Marshall will have the best chance of the Jaguars‘ undrafted free agents at making the roster, writes ESPN.com’s Michael DiRocco. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Marshall will be making the rare transition from quarterback to cornerback, doing so after two years of leading the Auburn attack. DiRocco expects one of the UDFA linebackers to stick, along with possibly running back Corey Grant, he of a 4.27-second 40-yard dash clocking.
- In a battle of undrafted signal-callers, DiRocco expects Stephen Morris to edge out Jake Waters for the Jags’ No. 3 quarterback job behind Blake Bortles and Chad Henne. A former Miami quarterback who signed with the Jags in 2014, Morris suited up for six games last season. Waters started for two seasons at Kansas State before coming to Jacksonville this month.
