Here are today’s restricted free agent and exclusive-rights free agent tender decisions, with the list being updated throughout the day. All links go to Twitter unless otherwise noted:
Tendered at the second-round level ($2.914MM):
- Cowboys DE David Irving (story)
- Giants: C Brett Jones (story via Ralph Vacchiano of SNY)
- Jets: Quincy Enunwa (story)
Tendered at original round level ($1.907MM):
- Browns: DT Jamie Meder
- Chiefs: DE Rakeem Nunez-Roches (via Adam Caplan of SiriusXM)
- Jets: OL Brent Qvale, TE Neal Sterling
- Lions: WR T.J. Jones (via Michael Rothstein of ESPN.com)
- Rams: OLB Matt Longacre (via Rapoport)
- Seahawks: DE Dion Jordan (story)
- Texans: C Greg Mancz
- Buccaneers: DE Ryan Russell (via Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times)
- Chargers: LB Josh Keyes
- Chiefs: LB Ramik Wilson (via Terez A. Paylor of the Kansas City Star)
- Dolphins: OL Anthony Steen
- Falcons: RB Terron Ward (via D. Orlando Ledbetter)
- Jaguars: S Peyton Thompson, RB Tyler Gaffney
- Jets: DL Xavier Cooper
- Lions: RB Zach Zenner, DE Brandon Copeland, DL Zac Kerin
- Packers: LB Joe Thomas (via Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- Panthers: WR Kaelin Clay, CB Ladarius Gunter, TE Scott Simonson, OL David Yankey (via David Newton of ESPN.com)
- Rams: LB Cameron Lynch, T Darrell Williams
- Saints: WR Brandon Coleman, DT David Parry
- Seahawks: RB Thomas Rawls, RB Mike Davis (via Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times)
- Steelers: WR Eli Rogers (story via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review)
- Texans: LB Brian Peters, DE Angelo Blackson, LB Ben Heeney
- Titans: S Curtis Riley (via Cameron Wolfe of ESPN.com), RB Bishop Sankey (via Chris Tomasson)
- Browns: QB Kevin Hogan
- Colts: TE Erik Swoope, G Jeremy Vujnovich, CB Christopher Milton, LS Luke Rhodes
- Dolphins: C Jake Brendel, LB Mike Hull, CB Jordan Lucas
- Giants: DT Robert Thomas (via Vacchiano)
- Jets: S Doug Middleton FB Lawrence Thomas TE Eric Tomlinson
- Lions: QB Jake Rudock, DT Christian Ringo
- Packers: WR Geronimo Allison (via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com)
- Rams: K Sam Ficken (via Alden Gonzalez of ESPN.com)
- Raiders: LB/DE James Cowser, S Erik Harris, G/T Denver Kirkland
- Ravens: LB Patrick Onwuasor, WR Quincy Adeboyejo, OL Matt Skura, OL Maurquice Shakir
- Seahawks: RB J.D. McKissic, DE Quinton Jefferson, DE Branden Jackson (via Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times)
Carson Palmer is getting towards the end of his career, but Cardinals coach Bruce Arians says that he might already have his quarterback of the future on the roster.
“Short-term, I’d be very comfortable if [Blaine Gabbert] had to play for us. Long-term, if he continues at this rate, he could be a starter,” the coach said (Twitter link via Mike Jurecki of 98.7 FM).
Arians isn’t the only coach that likes Gabbert – Seattle considered him this offseason and Miami pondered trading for him after Ryan Tannehill‘s injury. Still, it’s somewhat surprising to hear that Arians views him as a future starter since the former No. 10 overall pick hasn’t really experienced success at the NFL level. In five games as San Francisco’s starter last season, Gabbert posted a 1-4 record, while completing 56.9% of his passes for five touchdowns and six interceptions.
Here’s more from the NFC West:
- It appears that J.D. McKissic is back to being a running back after spending some time at wide receiver, Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times notes. This could have implications on the Seahawks‘ 53-man roster, chiefly for 2016 fifth-round choice Alex Collins after he did not get a carry in the team’s most recent preseason game.
- 49ers running back Raheem Mostert is making a late run for a roster spot, Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle writes. The well-traveled 25-year-old is having a strong preseason while veteran Tim Hightower has missed two of three games. In Hightower’s lone appearance, he lost a fumble and had three carries for minus-one yard. In Mostert’s last outing, he had 130 all purpose yards and flashed serious skills as a pass catcher.
- The Cardinals have interest in acquiring Panthers punter Andy Lee.
Today’s minor moves:
- The Seahawks announced a handful of roster moves today, with chief among being the placing of defensive lineman Damontre Moore, who was recently arrested for DUI, on injured reserve. Additionally, Seattle waived running back Kelvin Taylor, signed running back Terrence Magee off the Browns‘ practice squad, and claimed J.D. McKissic (whom the club will use as an RB, tweets Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times) off waivers from Atlanta.
- The Redskins have claimed Zach Vigil off waivers from Miami, per a club announcement. The Dolphins had hoped to re-sign Vigil to their practice squad, according to Barry Jackson on the Miami Herald (Twitter link). Vigil will take the roster spot of fellow LB Houston Bates, who tore his ACL and is now being placed on IR.
- The Vikings re-signed defensive tackle Toby Johnson, the club announced today, and confirmed that defensive lineman Tom Johnson is headed to IR. Toby Johnson had just been waived by Minnesota several days ago.
- The Bengals announced that they’ve waive long snapper Tyler Ott, a sign that fellow LS Clark Harris is now ready to go for Cincinnati.
- The Bears announced that they’ve promoted wide receiver Bralon Addison to the active roster and waived offensive lineman Cornelius Edison.
Today’s practice squad moves:
- Signed LB Lavar Edwards
Los Angeles Rams
- Signed: DB Jerome Couplin, LB Cassanova McKinz, LB Reggie Northrup, DB Kevin Short (link via Alden Gonzalez of ESPN.com)
San Francisco 49ers
- Signed: LB Brandon Chubb
Listed below are the Sunday roster moves for the four NFC South teams. Following the 53-man roster cutdown deadline yesterday, many teams will make slight tweaks to their rosters, claiming players off waivers or signing guys who clear waivers. Those transactions for the Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are noted below.
Additionally, as of 12:00pm CT today, teams can begin constructing their 10-man practice squads. You can check out our glossary entry on practice squads to brush up on those changes, as well as all the other guidelines that govern the 10-man units, whose players practice with the team but aren’t eligible to suit up on Sundays.
Here are Sunday’s NFC South transactions, which will continue to be updated throughout the day. All links go to Twitter unless otherwise noted:
- Signed to practice squad:
- Signed to practice squad
New Orleans Saints
- Signed to practice squad:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Falcons waived a number of players yesterday in anticipation of the roster deadline, and they’ve continued to cut players today.
Here’s a running list of the team’s cuts:
- WR J.D. McKissic (Twitter link via ESPN.com’s Vaughn McClure)
- RB Brandon Wilds (injury settlement) (Twitter link via McClure)
- QB Matt Simms (Twitter link via McClure)
The team has also put a pair of players on the injured reserve:
SATURDAY, 6:05pm: The Falcons announced that they’ve added a trio of undrafted free agents on Saturday:
- OL Shahbaz Ahmed (Temple)
- WR David Glidden (Oklahoma State)
- DE Brandon Williams (Southern Illinois).
THURSDAY, 4:21pm: Despite the fact that Atlanta only selected six players during last weekend’s draft, the Falcons’ rookie minicamp will be a busy place. The team confirmed today that it has signed 22 undrafted free agents to fill out its roster, with another 27 free agent rookies headed to the minicamp to try out for the club.
The full list of 27 tryout players can be found right here. Listed below are the 22 players who have agreed to contracts with the Falcons:
- DE Josh Dawson (Georgia)
- DT Gerald Dixon Jr. (South Carolina)
- OL Cody Elenz (Lamar)
- OL Alex Fifita (Fresno State)
- LB Torrey Green (Utah State)
- DT Cory Johnson (Kentucky)
- WR Daje Johnson (Texas)
- CB Devonte Johnson (Weber State)
- WR Malachi Jones (Appalachian State)
- NT Chris Mayes (Georgia)
- WR J.D. McKissic (Arkansas State)
- LB Ivan McLennan (Washington State)
- CB David Mims II (Texas State)
- DB Sharrod Neasman (Florida Atlantic)
- TE Joshua Perkins (Washington)
- DB Brian Poole (Florida)
- FB Will Ratelle (North Dakota)
- OL Jake Reed (Indiana)
- WR David Richards (Arizona)
- K Nick Rose (Texas)
- CB Jordan Sefon (St. Cloud State)
- RB Brandon Wilds (South Carolina)