Commanders Ramping Up Efforts To Extend Terry McLaurin
Ron Rivera continues to say the right things regarding a Terry McLaurin long-term future in Washington. The third-year Washington HC expressed optimism on a deal coming to pass and added the Commanders are not planning to trade their No. 1 wide receiver.
The team may be moving forward in this process. The Commanders are intensifying their efforts to extend McLaurin, Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com noted during a Monday appearance on Get Up, adding the team is aiming to have a deal done by training camp. Since McLaurin skipped minicamp, talks sparked to the point the Commanders are “upping their proposals,” Fowler adds (via Bleacher Report).
Although the team keeps pushing, its efforts have not swayed the fourth-year wideout. The Commanders attempted to hammer out a deal last week, Fowler added (via NBC Sports Washington’s Ethan Cadeaux, on Twitter), with the hopes of even getting him to minicamp. McLaurin’s side did not budge, and no deal is imminent.
This contract may be trickier than the $25MM-per-year agreement the Eagles reached with A.J. Brown, though that pact certainly will not help the Commanders. McLaurin does not yet have a Pro Bowl invite, separating him from Brown, Deebo Samuel and D.K. Metcalf. But he does have three 900-plus-yard receiving seasons and has averaged more receiving yards per game (67.2) than Metcalf (64.7). McLaurin, 26, is undoubtedly pushing for an accord north of $20MM per year, as fellow zero-time Pro Bowlers Mike Williams and D.J. Moore scored this offseason.
A McLaurin deal would help create a price range for Samuel, Metcalf and Diontae Johnson, though it is not certain if the latter — who has yet to be offered an extension — is on the Steelers’ second-contract radar. With Christian Kirk having scored an $18MM-AAV deal in March, Washington will need to be prepared to pay more than $20MM on average. McLaurin has not just led Washington in receiving over the past three seasons; he has done so by wide margins. The most notable gap came in 2021, when McLaurin’s 1,053 yards were 656 better than the team’s second-most productive pass catcher.
Commanders Docked Two 2023 OTAs
The Cowboys and Commanders each ran afoul of NFL offseason rules during their OTA workouts this year. As a result, each team will lose 2023 practice time and each squad’s head coach received a six-figure fine. Both Mike McCarthy and Ron Rivera received $100K fines for workouts deemed over the line, the Dallas Morning News’ Calvin Watkins and ESPN.com’s Dan Graziano note (Twitter link). Washington will be short two OTA days in 2023 due to excessive contact. This marks the second consecutive year McCarthy received a fine for offseason overwork. He received a $50K fine last year, with the Cowboys being docked $100K and a 2022 OTA for 2021 violations. The Cowboys will be docked one OTA day in 2023. OTAs do not hold the role they once did, and teams have begun to limit offseason activities on their own. The Eagles will go into training camp after not holding a mandatory minicamp. But Dallas and Washington will need to make minor adjustments to their 2023 offseason schedules.
Chase Young Expected To Start Training Camp On PUP
Chase Young is likely heading to the PUP. Commanders coach Ron Rivera told ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler that he expects his star defensive end to start training camp on the physically unable to perform list (Twitter link).
Young is still recovering form a torn ACL suffered in November. A recent report indicated that the former second-overall pick could be back at some point in June, but it sounds like the pass rusher will now be sidelined through at least July. In the meantime, Young is rehabbing his knee with the team.
“I wouldn’t put a timetable on it,” Young said earlier this month (via ESPN.com). “Obviously, I want to be back there as fast as I can, but right now I’m just taking it one day at a time and I’m getting better fast. I know that. Just taking it one day at a time. I can’t rush it.”
The defensive end lived up to his draft billing in 2020, earning Defensive Rookie of the Year after compiling 44 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 10 tackles for loss, 12 QB hits, and four forced fumbles. He slumped a bit during his sophomore season; before suffering his injury, he collected only 1.5 sacks in nine starts.
Despite his struggles, Washington will welcome back the 23-year-old with open arms. He’ll be rejoining one of the top defensive lines in the NFL, with Young playing alongside the likes of Jonathan Allen, Montez Sweat, and Daron Payne.
Rivera: Commanders Will Not Trade Terry McLaurin
The Terry McLaurin situation in Washington has escalated to the point the fourth-year wide receiver is not at the team’s minicamp. McLaurin’s absence, along with the rapidly rising receiver market, has led Ron Rivera to continue addressing this rather key topic.
After previously indicating optimism for an extension to be completed this year, Rivera took it a step further Wednesday afternoon (via NBC Sports Washington’s Peter Hailey) by indicating the Commanders will not be pushed to trade McLaurin. Extension talks are ongoing here.
“We’re not trading Terry,” Rivera said, via NBC Sports Washington’s Peter Hailey. “We’ve been talking with his folks probably the last week and we’re working on some stuff. Hopefully, it’ll be taken care of in a matter of time. How much time? Don’t know. But it’s never contentious, I can promise you that. We’re feeling pretty good and pretty confident that this’ll get done.”
Trades have been a frequent topic during this historically potent wideout offseason. Trade-and-extension sequences involving Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill reset the receiver market, leading to the glut of fourth-year players to take notice. This preceded the Titans — after beginning negotiations with A.J. Brown this offseason and both Mike Vrabel and Jon Robinson indicating Brown would be a long-term Tennessee weapon — trading their No. 1 receiver to the Eagles on draft night.
Even before Brown was dealt, Deebo Samuel requested a trade out of San Francisco. D.K. Metcalf trade rumors swirled ahead of the draft as well, and the Seahawks’ fourth-year pass catcher stayed away from his team’s minicamp. McLaurin has not been connected to being moved. Rivera attempting to stop any rumors in their tracks makes sense, though other coaches and GMs ensured their top wideouts would not be dealt — only to see trades transpire soon after. Brown is now tied to a $25MM-per-year contract that includes a receiver-most $56MM fully guaranteed. McLaurin, 26, should not be expected to top that. But the former third-round pick should be expected to eclipse $20MM per year — a range the Titans did not enter during Brown talks — on his next deal.
Washington has McLaurin under contract through 2022; the 2023 franchise tag option would loom if no extension happens before March. Teams have used the tag to keep No. 1 or No. 2 receivers off the market fairly frequently in recent years. Beyond Adams and Chris Godwin this year, the Bears (Allen Robinson), Bengals (A.J. Green) and Dolphins (Jarvis Landry) have cuffed wideouts over the past five offseasons. The 2019 receiver class could populate next year’s tag ledger, with Samuel, Metcalf, McLaurin and Diontae Johnson unsigned.
The Commanders have gone through significant tag drama in recent years as well. The previous regime famously tagged Kirk Cousins twice before losing him in free agency. Rivera’s regime tagged Brandon Scherff twice. No deal came to fruition this year, and the perennial Pro Bowl guard signed with the Jaguars. Washington’s McLaurin situation is far away from this stage now, but past examples show where these situations can lead.
Latest On Commanders’ Talks With WR Terry McLaurin, DT Daron Payne
Terry McLaurin is one of the few players who have opted to skip his respective team’s minicamp without an excused absence. Washington’s top wide receiver for the past three seasons, McLaurin will have a high price tag — thanks in large part to 2022’s soaring wideout market.
Although McLaurin has not been at the Commanders’ facility in weeks, showing up only to the team’s early voluntary sessions as an observer and then disappearing around draft time, Ron Rivera is nevertheless optimistic the team will finalize an extension this year. The third-year Washington HC cited the team’s successful talks with Jonathan Allen last year, noting the team began discussing McLaurin’s deal earlier this offseason than it addressed Allen’s in 2021. Rivera believes the McLaurin talks are “headed in the right direction,” per ESPN.com’s John Keim (on Twitter).
“We understand what Terry is trying to do,” Rivera said, via Keim (on Twitter). “We want him here; he’s going to be here. We believe in him as a football player.”
That belief will be costly, with the wideout market changing dramatically since Rivera backed a McLaurin extension in February. The former third-round pick is undoubtedly asking for more than the Jaguars gave Christian Kirk (four years, $72MM) and likely has set his sights on being the 12th wideout attached to a deal north of $20MM annually.
McLaurin has yet to receive a Pro Bowl invite, but two other members of the $20MM-AAV club — D.J. Moore, Mike Williams — also have not been such honored. Escalating price notwithstanding, Keim expects a deal to be completed this year (Twitter link).
While McLaurin is the Commanders’ unquestioned passing-game centerpiece, the team’s other top 2022 extension candidate — Daron Payne — finds himself on less sturdy terrain. Washington indeed addressed Allen’s contract last year — via a four-year, $72MM pact that makes him the NFL’s fifth-highest-paid interior defensive lineman — and has other D-line cogs to take care of. Montez Sweat is extension-eligible, but thanks to the fifth-year option, Washington can table potential Sweat talks until 2023. The team’s no-brainer re-up prospect, Chase Young, becomes eligible for a second contract next year.
Payne showed up for Commanders minicamp this week, after missing some OTA time, but has refrained from doing team drills due to his contract situation, Nicki Jhabvala of the Washington Post tweets. The urgency in Washington’s Payne talks does not match the team’s approach with McLaurin, and it recently used a second-round pick on another Alabama defensive tackle — Phiadarian Mathis. Payne declined to elaborate on where any negotiations stand, per NBC Sports Washington’s Bijan Todd.
Payne would seemingly sit behind McLaurin in the team’s franchise tag queue, if neither signs an extension this year. But the former would be an attractive 2023 free agent. Payne, 25, is coming off his most productive season, one in which he tallied 4.5 sacks and notched a career-high 15 quarterback hits. The well-regarded interior lineman has also missed just one game in four seasons, adding to his value.
Minor NFL Transactions: 6/14/22
Today’s minor NFL transactions:
Jacksonville Jaguars
- Signed: LB Wyatt Ray
- Placed on IR: DE/OLB Jordan Smith
Kansas City Chiefs
- Waived: C Darryl Williams
Los Angeles Rams
- Re-signed: LB Travin Howard
Washington Commanders
- Signed: OT Willie Beavers, DT Justin Hamilton
Minor NFL Transactions: 6/13/22
Today’s minor moves around the league:
Green Bay Packers
- Claimed: K Gabe Brkic (from Minnesota)
- Waived: K Dominik Eberle
Las Vegas Raiders
- Signed: CB Chris Jones
Minnesota Vikings
- Signed: OLB Andre Mintze
New England Patriots
- Reverted to reserve/NFI (after going unclaimed on waivers): K Quinn Nordin
Tennessee Titans
- Released: S Jamal Carter (from IR)
Washington Commanders
- Waived: DB Will Adams, K Brian Johnson
Terry McLaurin Not Planning To Attend Commanders’ Minicamp
JUNE 13: McLaurin does indeed plan to skip this week’s mandatory minicamp, as he continues to try and leverage a new contract, Jhabvala tweets. The Commanders can fine their standout receiver more than $90K, though McLaurin’s absence — as Washington begins its Wentz era — looms larger than the small fine he will incur.
JUNE 12: In an offseason which has seen skyrocketing contract values for young receivers, the Commanders face a crucial decision with respect to Terry McLaurin. The team is seeking an extension with him, but a new contract does not appear to be forthcoming. 
Nicki Jhabvala of the Washington Post reports (via Twitter) that negotiations are ongoing, but the two sides remain “far apart.” The 26-year-old is eligible for an extension for the first time in his career, after three seasons operating as the team’s focal point on offense. Despite a rotating cast of quarterbacks, he has produced back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, leading many to believe he would join A.J. Brown as a 2019 draftee receiving a substantial raise this offseason.
The chances of a deal being signed seemed to increase when it was reported Washington curtailed some its free agent spending knowing a McLaurin extension (as well as one for Daron Payne) needed to be accounted for. However, there has clearly been little progress made since then.
The former third-rounder was expected to be present at OTAs, albeit without taking part in on-field work. However, it became known last month that McLaurin has been away from the team since the draft. That left the matter of his minicamp attendance in question. On that point, Jhabvala adds that it “seems unlikely” at this point that he will be present for the three-day mandatory practice period. In that event, the Ohio State alum would become subject to as much as $93K in fines, at the team’s discretion.
Moving towards a year which, given the addition of quarterback Carson Wentz and receiver Jahan Dotson in the first round of the draft, could see the Commanders improve on offense, the contract situation with their top wideout is set to remain a contentious issue for at least the immediate future.
NFL Staff Notes: Eagles, Warren, Bears, Chiefs
This weekend, the Eagles announced several title changes and new hires in their personnel and operations departments. Philadelphia lost six staffers this offseason.
Some of the Eagles’ corresponding moves we haven’t yet covered are as follows. Former-senior director of football transactions Bryce Johnston was promoted to vice president of football transactions and strategic planning. Former-assistant of analytics James Gilman was promoted to director of football analytics. Former-senior pro scout Jeff Scott was promoted to director of football operations. Former-football analytics coordinator Jon Liu was promoted to assistant director of football analytics. Former assistant strength and conditioning coach Patrick McDowell moved departments to become the player development assistant/scout. Pro scout Ameena Soliman was promoted to director of personnel operations/pro scout. Former-college scout (Northeast area) Matt Holland was promoted to senior college/pro scout.
The following are new hires announced by the Eagles that we haven’t covered. In operations, Zach Drapkin was hired as a quantitative analyst. In scouting, Jarrod Kilburn was hired as a college/pro scout.
Here are a few other staff notes from around the NFL, starting with the freshly-named Commanders:
- According to Nicki Jhabvala of The Washington Post, legendary tight end and current-senior pro scout Don Warren will retire this week. Warren won three Super Bowls during his 14 seasons as a player in Washington. 13 years after his retirement from playing, Warren returned to Washington as a scout. After five years in that role, Warren joined the Panthers as a scout, where he stayed for ten years. Warren returned to Washington for the final two years of his career in 2020.
- The Bears have hired the Chiefs’ senior data scientist, Krithi Chandrakasan, away from Kansas City to assume the role of director of football analytics in Chicago. To fill Chandrakasan’s now-vacant role, the Chiefs hired Marc Richards in the role of football research analyst, all according to ESPN’s Seth Walder. Walder adds that Richards was a part of the winning team in the 2021 Big Data Bowl. The Big Data Bowl is an annual analytics competition for college students and professionals in the league. The contest challenges participants to spur innovations in the ever-evolving world of NFL advanced analytics.
Nine Teams Gain Cap Space From Post-June 1 Cuts
Although early June no longer serves as a stretch in which a wave of veterans are released for cap-saving purposes, June 2 still serves as an important calendar date for certain teams annually. Nine teams qualify as beneficiaries this year.
Eleven players were designated as post-June 1 cuts this year, via CBS Sports’ Joel Corry. Due to a longstanding CBA provision, teams that designate players as post-June 1 releases see the dead-money burden lessened for that year. Teams can designate up to two players as post-June 1 releases each year.
Here are 2022’s post-June 1 cuts, along with the belated cap savings the teams picked up Thursday:
Arizona Cardinals
- DL Jordan Phillips; 2022 cap savings: $10MM (story)
Chicago Bears
- RB Tarik Cohen; 2022 cap savings: $4MM (story)
- LB Danny Trevathan; 2022 cap savings: $3.3MM (story)
Cleveland Browns
- TE Austin Hooper; 2022 cap savings: $9.5MM (story)
Dallas Cowboys
- T La’el Collins; 2022 cap savings: $10MM (story)
Las Vegas Raiders
- LB Cory Littleton; 2022 cap savings: $11.8MM (story)
- DE Carl Nassib; 2022 cap savings: $8MM (story)
Philadelphia Eagles
- DT Fletcher Cox; 2022 cap savings: $2.1MM (story)
Seattle Seahawks
- DE Carlos Dunlap; 2022 cap savings: $5.1MM (story)
Tennessee Titans
- WR Julio Jones; 2022 cap savings: $9.5MM (story)
Washington Commanders
- S Landon Collins; 2022 cap savings: $11.9MM (story)
As detailed in PFR’s glossary, post-June 1 cuts spread dead-money hits over two years. These teams will be taking on dead money this year and next. A few of the 2023 hits are substantial, but the league’s cap-space hierarchy changed significantly Thursday as well.
Because of multiple restructures, Raiders will carry $9.9MM in Littleton dead money next year. The Cowboys will take on $8.7MM in 2023 for cutting Collins, while the Titans will be hit with $8.4MM for their Jones release. Cleveland, which just gave David Njoku a $14.2MM-per-year deal, will carry a $7.5MM dead-money cost next year due to shedding Hooper’s eight-figure-AAV deal early. The Eagles will be tagged with $11.5MM for their Cox cut, with Corry noting that is the net difference because of a $3.2MM salary cap credit regarding Cox’s 2022 bonus proration. Philadelphia re-signed the perennial Pro Bowler on a one-year, $14MM deal.
Hooper’s release pushes Cleveland’s cap space to beyond $40MM; the Browns’ overall cap-space edge is now a whopping $15MM. That should help the team address multiple needs ahead of training camp. Other teams have more options now, too. As of Thursday, the Raiders hold the NFL’s third-most cap space ($22.5MM, per OverTheCap). The $10MM the Cowboys saved moves them up to fourth in cap space ($22.49MM), while the Bears ($22.2MM), Commanders ($18.4MM) and Seahawks ($17MM) now sit fifth, sixth and seventh.
A handful of this year’s post-June 1 cut crop joined Cox in taking advantage of the modern setup, which allows these cap casualties to become free agents immediately — rather than waiting until June to hit the market. In place since the 2006 CBA, this adjustment let veterans loose early while keeping their cap figures on teams’ payrolls through May. Collins quickly joined the Bengals, while Littleton landed with the Panthers, Hooper signed with the Titans, and Phillips returned to the Bills. The remainder of this group remains unsigned. The savings this lot of teams inherited Thursday may help some of these players’ causes in free agency.
