Latest On Dolphins, Adam Gase
This time of year in the NFL season is when the coaching carousel really starts to heat up, and this cycle seems set to be especially busy. There will be a ton of head coaching jobs open, with two coaches already fired and a slew of others set to be canned once Week 17 is over. While people like Todd Bowles, Vance Joseph, Dirk Koetter, and Steve Wilks have been written off as goners, one name that hasn’t been talked about too much is Dolphins coach Adam Gase.
While he’s flown more under the radar, that doesn’t mean his job is safe. We’ve already heard that John Harbaugh isn’t a lock to be in Baltimore long term, and there’s a “lingering belief that owner Stephen Ross would be interested in hiring Ravens coach John Harbaugh”, according to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com.While that still seems like a long shot, Florio also points out how Gase’s future is tied to what the Dolphins do with their front office.
Front office head Mike Tannenbaum is reportedly set to be let go at the end of the year, but it’s Gase who has contractual control and final say over the 53-man roster. A source told Florio that the Dolphins are interested in speaking to Vikings assistant G.M. George Paton and Bills assistant G.M. Joe Schoen, but Florio notes that “if Miami isn’t able to offer a new employee control over the football operation, the Vikings and Bills (and any other team with a current front-office employee under contract) would be able to block the process.”
As such, Florio writes that “the Dolphins need to wrest power from Gase, either voluntarily or involuntarily, if the goal is to hire a high-level executive from another NFL franchise.” It’s unclear if Gase would agree to such a reduction of his authority, or if he would then seek to leave the team.
Gase is a very highly regarded offensive mind, and would be in immediate demand as an offensive coordinator and possibly head coach if he’s available after this year. This is Gase’s third year coaching the Dolphins, and he’s dealt with major injuries in each of his three seasons as coach. His first year in Miami he made the playoffs with journeyman Matt Moore as his quarterback down the stretch, and was stuck with Jay Cutler as a last minute pickup last year after Ryan Tannehill tore his ACL. The Dolphins also appear set to move on from Tannehill, so no matter what happens with Gase it should be an offseason of major change in Miami.
Dolphins Likely To Move On From Ryan Tannehill
Miami seems ready to end the Ryan Tannehill era. The Dolphins are preparing to move on from the quarterback this offseason rather than paying out the $19MM he’s owed over the next two years, Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald hears. 
[RELATED: Dolphins Will Not Pursue Jim Harbaugh]
Tannehill has been less than stellar in Miami, but he hasn’t had great support from his offensive line either. The Dolphins will endeavor to fix the front five, but they apparently believe that they can do better under center.
By cutting or trading the QB, the Dolphins would open up $13.2MM in cap space. Alternatively, they could clear out $18.7MM in savings by making him a post-June 1 cut, but that would come with the downside of another dead money hit in 2020.
Even as the Dolphins ponder their next big move at quarterback, they also recognize that Tannehill has had some strong individual performances. Through 16 weeks, the Dolphins have taken 48 sacks, which ranks as the sixth most in the NFL. Tannehill is undoubtedly frustrated about the circumstances around him, but he is choosing not to dwell on outside factors.
“You can’t look at the game that way. You have to control what you can control,” Tannehill said. “If you play the what if games you’re not going to be growing as a person and a player.”
Mike Tannebaum Likely Out In Miami
- Dolphins vice president of football operations Mike Tannenbaum is not expected back with the team in 2019, Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald writes. The move would end his four-year run with the team. Head coach Adam Gase is expected to be retained. Salguero also has heard a few of the names as possible replacements include Dan Marino and Dawn Aponte.
Drake Unhappy In Miami?
- Kenyan Drake has grown a bit disgruntled with his role for the Dolphins, and wouldn’t say whether he wants to be back in Miami next year, according to Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald. Drake is a very talented running back and leads the Dolphins in yards from scrimmage this year, but the coaching staff has never used him consistently. Even with the injury to Frank Gore, his role has still decreased recently, and he got only six carries in the team’s loss to the Jaguars this past Sunday. With Ryan Tannehill and Adam Gase’s futures both increasingly uncertain, it’s looking like an offseason of change is coming for the Dolphins. The team is likely to look completely different in 2019, and Drake might not be a part of things even though he has one year left on his rookie contract.
Dolphins Will Not Pursue Jim Harbaugh
A report linking another AFC East team to a Jim Harbaugh pursuit emerged, and a second NFL owner is denying that is the case.
Like Jets chairman Christopher Johnson, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross publicly shot down Harbaugh rumors. Ross told the Miami Herald’s Barry Jackson he will not make a push for Harbaugh to replace Adam Gase, who is not a certainty to be fired after this season. Ross is a Michigan alum and would prefer Harbaugh stay in Ann Arbor, per Jackson (Twitter link).
This does not, however, mean Gase is safe. The Dolphins are exploring big-picture changes, with those in power attempting to solidify their positions in the event Ross restructures the franchise’s decision-making hierarchy. Another season featuring Gase and executive VP Mike Tannenbaum working together would surprise SI.com’s Albert Breer, who adds Miami is likely to make a change “at some level.”
While it’s not certain which way Ross is leaning here, Breer adds that GM Chris Grier would have a better chance of staying if Gase is retained. Grier has been with the Dolphins since 2000.
As for Gase, the third-year HC said he will not lobby to keep his job. Gase and Ross have not discussed his future, per Jackson. Las Vegas had the Dolphins pegged as a frontrunner for the 2019 No. 1 pick at this season’s outset, but Gase has the team at 7-8. He ended the Dolphins’ lengthy playoff drought in 2016 but has a sub-.500 record since, though many of those games did not feature Ryan Tannehill.
GM Chris Grier Likely To Remain With Dolphins; Frank Gore Wants To Return To Miami In 2019
- We have heard that the Dolphins could be in for a major overhaul this offseason, and like his colleagues, La Canfora believes that owner Stephen Ross could part ways with vice president of football operations Mike Tannenbaum and head coach Adam Gase. However, La Canfora reports that Ross thinks highly of general manager Chris Grier — who holds the GM title but who does not have final authority over football decisions — and that Grier is likely to remain with Miami. If the Dolphins do go searching for a new executive this offseason to replace Tannenbaum, Vikings assistant GM George Paton would be near the top of the list, as we heard earlier this month.
- Dolphins running back Frank Gore, whose season came to a premature end due to a mid-foot sprain, has already indicated he wants to play in 2019. And, as Safid Deen of the South Florida Sun Sentinel writes, Gore wants to return to Miami. Given the surprising success that he had with his hometown Dolphins this year, Gore may get his wish.
Dolphins Eyeing Major Changes?
While the Dolphins still have a chance at making the postseason, there are whispers that some major members of the organization could still lose their jobs. Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald writes that coaches and front office staff are quietly trying to “solidify their power” in case owner Stephen Ross decides to make major changes this offseason. Sources tell Salguero that vice president of football operations Mike Tannenbaum and head coach Adam Gase are among those on the hot seat.
Among Ross’s top trio of football executives, Salguero says Tannenbaum is the most likely to get fired. The 49-year-old joined the organization back in 2015, and he’s been a major “facilitator of what the Dolphins have decided their philosophy will be,” which includes fielding a competitive team while building for the future. General manager Chris Grier reports to Tannenbaum, and the executive “oversees and coordinates the effort of football operations and administration.”
Working against Tannenbaum has been the team’s middling record since he joined the organization; the team is 23-23 since he took on a major role, and the team’s future outlook isn’t all that encouraging. Working in his favor is his relationship with Dolphins vice chairman Matt Higgins, who has the ear of Ross. The two have a relationship dating back to their tenure with the Jets, and Higgins has been Tannenbaum’s “most powerful ally and advocate” in Miami.
Meanwhile, Gase has refused to publicly blame injuries or talent for the team’s 7-7 record. However, sources tell Salguero that the head coach is quietly attributing his team’s performance to injuries, and that has been one of Gase’s main reasons for why he should ultimately keep his job. Gase has the support of both Grier and team vice chairman, president and CEO Tom Garfinkel, and he also has a good relationship with Tannenbaum.
Unfortunately for Gase, he doesn’t have a similar relationship with Higgins, who some believe may be pushing for a replacement. Salguero also points out that Ross wouldn’t be afraid to replace the head coach, even though Gase is still owed millions of dollars.
The Dolphins, who currently sit as the AFC’s ninth seed, will face off against the Jaguars and Bills in their final two regular season contests.
Cameron Wake Wants To Re-Sign With Dolphins
Cameron Wake has spent the majority of his professional career with the Dolphins, and the impending free agent told Joe Schad of the Palm Beach Post that he’s hoping to stick around Miami. However, Wake also cautioned that he wouldn’t be afraid to sign elsewhere.
“Another jersey?” Wake said. “Ideally, no. But I mean, again, if option number one is not in my favor and they don’t want me but I can still play and I can still provide and still enjoy it whatever needs to happen. If it makes sense then I’ll do it. If it doesn’t then I won’t.”
We heard earlier this month that the Dolphins wanted to extend their veteran defensive end last offseason, but nothing ever materialized. That sentiment probably hasn’t changed, as Wake has plenty productive in 2018. While Miami initially intended to limit the 36-year-old’s snaps, Wake has still been plenty productive, compiling 30 tackles, 4.5 sacks, and one forced fumble in 12 games. Pro Football Focus also ranks Wake 15th among 106 eligible edge defenders.
After going undrafted out of Penn State in 2005, Wake briefly caught on with the Giants before landing in the Canadian Football League. He earned a roster spot with the Dolphins in 2009, and he’s proceeded to play the past 10 seasons in Miami. Wake has earned five Pro Bowl selections, one First-Team All-Pro nod, and three Second-Team All-Pro selections during his career, and his 96.5 sacks rank second in franchise history (behind Jason Taylor).
Wake also acknowledged that he’s considered retirement, but his production in 2018 makes him think he could still be productive in 2019.
“You think about it all the time,” Wake said. “That’s the unfortunate part of the game. Whether it be physical or mental, it’s tough. It’s a tough gig. But at the end of the day, today, I still feel good, and I still feel like I can help. Will that be the case in April? I’d like to think so.”
Minor NFL Transactions: 12/21/18
Today’s minor moves will be posted here:
Miami Dolphins:
- Promoted from practice squad: S Maurice Smith
- Waived: OL Hroniss Grasu
New England Patriots
- Promoted from practice squad: DL Ufomba Kamalu
Frank Gore Wants To Play In 2019
Although he will miss the remainder of the season after suffering a foot sprain in Week 15, Dolphins running back Frank Gore will not require surgery, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (Twitter link). Additionally, Gore has indicated that he wants to return for a 15th NFL campaign in 2019, tweets Adam Schefter of ESPN.com.
Gore will become a free agent next spring after inking a one-year deal with the Dolphins this past March, so Miami will need to decide if its interested in retaining the veteran back. The Dolphins have younger, intriguing backs on their roster, but thus far, they’ve shown little confidence in Kenyan Drake, while rookie Kalen Ballage only first topped four carries in a single game this past Sunday. Gore’s pact contained a league minimum salary last time around, and a 2019 accord would likely come in around the same figure.
Even at age-35, Gore somewhat astoundingly became Miami’s featured back, leading the club’s runners in carries with 156. Gore managed 4.6 yards per rush on those attempts, and also graded out as the Dolphins’ best pass-blocker, per Pro Football Focus. Football Outsiders’ metrics lauded Gore as well, as he ranked as a top-20 back in DYAR, DVOA, and success rate.
If Gore does play next year, he’ll get another shot to make his way up the NFL’s record books. He currently sits fourth all-time in rushing yardage, but he’d be able to surpass Barry Sanders for third by posting even a modest 2019 season. Gore could also jump a few spots in the league’s rushing touchdown ledger — right now, he’s tied with Tony Dorsett for 22nd with 77 scores on the ground.
