The Bengals have signed a baker’s dozen of undrafted free agents:
- Brandon Bell, LB (Penn State)
- Cethan Carter, TE/FB (Nebraska)
- Demetrious Cox, S (Michigan State)
- Karel Hamilton, WR (Samford)
- Darrin Laufasa, FB (UTEP)
- Landon Lechler, OT (North Dakota St.)
- Monty Madaris, WR (Michigan State)
- Hardy Nickerson Jr., LB (Illinois)
- Kent Perkins, OL (Texas)
- Dustin Stanton, OL (Oregon State)
- Josh Tupou, DT (Colorado)
- Jarveon Williams, RB (Texas-San Antonio)
- Stanley Williams, RB (Kentucky)
Nickerson is the son of Hardy Nickerson Sr., a former Pro Bowl linebacker and NFL coach. The elder Nickerson currently serves as Illinois’ defensive coordinator and that allowed him to coach his son towards the end of his collegiate career. Nickerson Jr. has been lauded for his work ethic, but some scouts question whether he can stick at the next level.
“He may get a legacy grade from some teams based on his tackle production and his bloodlines, but I’m struggling to find consistent tape of him where he looks like an NFL linebacker,” a regional scout for an NFC team told NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein.
The Bengals already have five running backs under contract, including rookie Joe Mixon, so tailbacks Jarveon Williams and Stanley Williams may be facing an uphill battle as they try to make the final cut.