2015 NFL Compensatory Draft Picks

The NFL has officially announced the 32 compensatory draft picks for 2015 that have been handed out to teams who had the most significant losses in free agency a year ago. These picks, which can’t be traded, are determined by a formula that accounts for salary, playing time, and postseason honors. Teams can’t receive more than four picks each, and this year’s selections were divided up among 14 clubs.

Here’s the list of 2015 compensatory picks by team, with the round and overall selection number included:

  • 49ers: 4th (132), 7th (254)
  • Bears: None
  • Bengals: 3rd (99), 4th (135)
  • Bills: None
  • Broncos: 4th (133), 6th (208), 7th (250), 7th (251)
  • Browns: None
  • Buccaneers: None
  • Cardinals: 7th (256)
  • Chargers: None
  • Chiefs: 3rd (98), 5th (172), 5th (173), 6th (217)
  • Colts: 7th (255)
  • Cowboys: None
  • Dolphins: None
  • Eagles: None
  • Falcons: None
  • Giants: None
  • Jaguars: None
  • Jets: None
  • Lions: None
  • Packers: 6th (210), 6th (212)
  • Panthers: 5th (169), 6th (213)
  • Patriots: 3rd (97), 7th (253)
  • Raiders: None
  • Rams: 6th (215)
  • Ravens: 4th (136), 5th (171) , 5th (175)
  • Saints: None
  • Seahawks: 4th (134), 5th (170), 6th (209), 6th (214)
  • Steelers: 7th (252)
  • Texans: 5th (174), 6th (211), 6th (216)
  • Titans: None
  • Vikings: None
  • Washington: None

Draft Notes: Bucs, Mariota, Browns, Steelers

The Buccaneers could take many different routes with the first-overall pick in this year’s draft, and head coach Lovie Smith indicated as much on Monday. Appearing on the NFL Network, Smith said his team could surprise the league by not selecting either Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota (via Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com):

“I can see why people would assume we’re gonna take a quarterback. There are two excellent quarterbacks that are available at the top and when you get a chance to draft someone like that, most of the time, people do. But there are other good players in the draft also. I think it’s a deep draft for defensive line. Like last year, there are a lot of great receivers that are coming out. I think, just overall, the amount of athletes coming into each incoming class, it’s pretty deep for players that can make an immediate impact.”

As Florio points out, Smith could be hinting that he’s willing to trade the pick.

Let’s take a look at some more assorted draft notes from around the league…

  • ESPN.com’s Eric Williams tweets that the Chargers will schedule a workout with Mariota.
  • Meanwhile, Browns general manager Ray Farmer told reporters that his team will also conduct a private workout with Mariota (via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com). Farmer indicated that he’s talked with other teams about moving up or down the draft board.
  • The Dolphins will work out Colorado State quarterback Garrett Grayson, according to ESPN.com’s James Walker. Grayson is projected to be drafted in the second round or later.
  • Maryland wideout Stefon Diggs is scheduled to visit the 49ers in April, reports Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun. Diggs finished last season with 62 catches for 792 yards and five touchdowns.
  • Indiana running back Tevin Coleman will be busy in the coming weeks, as he has workouts scheduled with the Panthers, Cardinals, Chargers and Ravens, according to Wilson. The Heisman candidate previously met with the Lions.
  • After talking to Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and head coach Mike Tomlin, Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review says he’d be “stunned” if Pittsburgh didn’t take a cornerback in the first round (Twitter link).

NFC Notes: Bennett, Lions, Rams, Jennings

Speaking to reporters in Arizona today, Seahawks general manager John Schneider said that defensive end Michael Bennett hasn’t requested a trade and is happy in Seattle, tweets Terry Blount of ESPN.com.

A report last week indicated that Bennett wanted a new contract, and perhaps a trade to Dan Quinn‘s Falcons, but even if that’s the case, it doesn’t look like the Seahawks have any plans to move him. For what it’s worth, Schneider appeared to dodge the issue of whether the defensive end wants his contract reworked, as Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times tweets.

Schneider also confirmed that defensive lineman Jesse Williams will be re-added to the Seahawks’ roster soon, indicating that Williams was only waived as a procedural transaction (Twitter link via Condotta).

Here’s more out of the NFC:

  • Lions GM Martin Mayhew confirmed today to reporters, including Josh Katzenstein of The Detroit News (Twitter link), that his team is in talks with free agent guard Rob Sims about a new deal.
  • The Rams are keeping their eye on free agent offensive linemen like Joe Barksdale, Stefen Wisniewski, and Justin Blalock, but the club isn’t expected to sign any of those players this week, tweets Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
  • While the Cowboys aren’t likely to make any other noteworthy free agent investments, Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com suggests the club could go bargain shopping, identifying offensive tackle, safety, and return man as three potential areas of need.
  • Panthers owner Jerry Richardson took responsibility for the organization’s decision to not re-sign embattled defensive end Greg Hardy. “Whose call would you think that would be?” Richardson asked ESPN.com’s David Newton. When asked about the owner’s logic, Richardson replied that the Panthers “do the right things.”
  • When wideout Greg Jennings left the Packers for the Vikings in 2013, the veteran displayed some animosity towards the organization. However, Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson made it clear that those kinds of comments wouldn’t dissuade his team from pursuing the 31-year-old. “We’re not that sensitive about things like that,” Thompson said (via Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com). “Players are players. Players say things. Sometimes we make mistakes [too].”

Latest On Greg Jennings

After being released by the Vikings on Saturday, veteran receiver Greg Jennings has already taken one free agent visit, meeting with the Panthers yesterday. However, no deal between the two parties is imminent, according to Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer (Twitter link), who adds that Jennings is expected to take other visits.

One such visit could be to Miami, where the Dolphins — aiming to add receiver depth — will speak with both Jennings and Michael Crabtree, tweets Trey Wingo of ESPN. We’ve heard previously that Miami was interested in Crabtree, and the former 49er was scheduled to meet with the Dolphins last week. Miami has already added Kenny Stills via trade, but could be looking for more pass-catchers after jettisoning Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson, and Charles Clay in recent weeks.

The Panthers, meanwhile, are also on the lookout for pass-catching help, as they don’t have many options behind Kelvin Benjamin and tight end Greg Olsen, although they did add Ted Ginn Jr. earlier this offseason. As Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer writes, the 31-year-old Jennings wouldn’t add much speed to the Carolina offense, but he’d be a reliable possession receiver.

Greg Jennings Visited Panthers

Free agent wide receiver Greg Jennings visited the Panthers on Saturday, according to Bill Voth of the Black and Blue Review.

Jennings, whom the Vikings released last week, hauled in 59 passes and six touchdowns last season – his ninth in the NFL. Pro Football Focus (subscription required) ranked him a respectable 48th out of 110 qualifying wideouts in 2014.

Jennings, 31, has 552 receptions and 63 scores during his career – most of which has been spent with the Packers – and would give Panthers quarterback Cam Newton another accomplished target to team with fellow receiver Kelvin Benjamin and tight end Greg Olsen. The Panthers are a fit for more offensive weaponry after finishing last season 19th in both passing and points per game.

No Deal Yet For Panthers, Alan Ball

SATURDAY, 10:00am: According to Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer, Ball left Charlotte on Friday without signing a contract.

THURSDAY, 11:21am: According to Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer (via Twitter), the Panthers and Ball haven’t yet reached a deal, though the cornerback is visiting the team today. A league source tells Wilson (Twitter link) that Carolina has offered a contract worth the terms reported below, and Ball is weighing that offer and others.

10:03am: The Panthers have signed cornerback Alan Ball to a one-year, $2MM contract, reports Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post. According to Wilson, Carolina gave Ball a $1MM signing bonus and a $50K workout bonus to go along with a $950K base salary. The deal also features up to $500K in playing-time incentives.

Ball, who turns 30 next month, spent the last two seasons in Jacksonville, and was quietly one of the best parts of the Jaguars’ secondary. In 2013, Ball recorded a +7.5 Pro Football Focus grade in over 1,000 snaps, ranking 22nd among 110 qualified cornerbacks (subscription required). His 2014 season was cut short by a biceps injury, which landed him on injured reserve after seven games, but he still held his own in the first half of the season, recording 22 tackles and an interception.

With the Jags moving in a younger direction at cornerback, led by 2013 draftees Dwayne Gratz and Demetrius McCray, the team was willing to part ways with veterans like Ball and Will Blackmon this offseason, opening the door for the Panthers to land Ball.

In Carolina, Ball figures to challenge incumbent corners Bene Benwikere, Josh Norman, and Melvin White for playing time.

NFC Mailbags: Packers, Lions, Panthers, Washington

It’s Saturday morning, and that means ESPN.com’s NFL writers are opening their mailbags and answering questions from readers. With an eye towards the NFL draft, let’s start off with some notes from the NFC…

  • Rob Demovsky believes the Packers could select a quarterback late in this year’s draft. With the expected departure of Matt Flynn, the rookie could compete with Scott Tolzien for the backup gig.
  • Meanwhile, Demovsky says there’s little chance the Packers move up in the first round. The writer notes that general manager Ted Thompson has only traded up in the first round once, when he swapped a second-round and two third-round picks for a late first-rounder (used to select Clay Matthews).
  • Considering the fourth and fifth-round picks the Lions sent to the Ravens for Haloti Ngata, Michael Rothstein says it could be in the team’s best interest to trade down in the draft. With multiple roster holes, the team could benefit from having some extra picks.
  • Based on the Panthers early moves in free agency, David Newton believes the organization is targeting four positions in the first round: wide receiver, offensive tackle, running back and defensive lineman.
  • Washington‘s signing of Colt McCoy would not prevent the organization from selecting Marcus Mariota, says John Keim. In fact, if the Oregon quarterback falls to Washington, Keim says McCoy would be a good mentor for the rookie.

Draft Notes: Winston, Borland, Visits

Some assorted draft notes from around the league…

  • Jameis Winston‘s decision to skip out on the NFL draft may have been based on pressure from the league. According to Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole, the NFL may have been fearing “protests” regarding Winston’s selection in the draft, with the league advising the prospect to keep a “low profile.”
  • Following the surprise retirement of Chris Borland, Cole says teams are becoming cautious of players who are “too smart for football.” Specifically, players who have future careers outside of football may be less desirable than players who are “desperate” to become professional athletes.
  • Georgia running back Todd Gurley told reporters that he’s set to meet with the Panthers after having already met with the Lions, according to D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Gurley revealed that he’s also meeting with five other teams.
  • Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon is scheduled to meet with the Ravens, according to Yahoo’s Rand Getlin (via Twitter).
  • Meanwhile, Getlin reports (on Twitter) that Duke wideout Jamison Crowder is gaining some interest, as the player has workouts planned with the Patriots, Buccaneers, Panthers and Texans.
  • Michigan State cornerback Trae Waynes told ESPN.com’s Michael Rothstein that he’s set to meet with the Vikings and Jaguars in April (Twitter link). Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press tweets that the defensive back also has private workouts scheduled with the Titans and Panthers.
  • According to Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.com (via Twitter), Boise State running back Jay Ajayi had dinner with the Chargers brass on Tuesday night.
  • The Jets have scheduled a one-on-one meeting with Missouri defensive end Shane Ray, according to Pauline (on Twitter).
  • Purdue tight end Gabe Holmes had a private workout today with the Cardinals, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun (on Twitter). The session went well, as Wilson says Holmes “caught everything.”
  • Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty has visits set up with the Cowboys, Chargers and Rams, according to Fox Sports’ Alex Marvez (via Twitter).

Contract Details: Morgan, Gilchrist, Cameron

Here are some details on several of the new contracts agreed to or signed by free agents within the last few days:

AFC deals:

  • Derrick Morgan, OLB (Titans): Four years, $27MM base value. $10.5MM fully guaranteed. $6MM signing bonus (Twitter link via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun).
  • Marcus Gilchrist, S (Jets): Four years, $22MM base value. $10MM guaranteed (Twitter link via Ian Rapoport of NFL.com).
  • Jordan Cameron, TE (Dolphins): Two years, $15MM base value. $5MM fully guaranteed. $4MM signing bonus (Twitter link via Wilson).
  • Paul Fanaika, OL (Chiefs): Three years, $6.5MM. $1.75MM signing bonus. Incentives and escalators available (Twitter links via Wilson).
  • Alan Branch, DT (Patriots): Two years, $4.3MM base value. $700K signing bonus. Option for 2016 (all Twitter links via Wilson).
  • Tyrod Taylor, QB (Bills): Two years, $3.35MM base value. $1.15MM fully guaranteed. $400K signing bonus. Third year voids (all four Twitter links via Wilson).

NFC deals:

  • Jasper Brinkley, LB (Cowboys): Two years, $6.5MM base value. $2MM guaranteed, $2MM option bonus in 2016 (Twitter link via Wilson).
  • Akeem Ayers, LB (Rams): Two years, $6MM base value. $2.75MM guaranteed. $1.3MM roster bonus in 2015 (Twitter links via Wilson).
  • Andrew Gachkar, LB (Cowboys): Two years, $5.2MM base value. $1.2MM signing bonus. Up to $1MM in annual incentives (Twitter link via Wilson).
  • Nick Fairley, DT (Rams): One year, $5MM base value. $1.5MM roster bonus in 2015. Sack and playoff incentives available (Twitter links via Wilson).
  • Erik Pears, OL (49ers): Two years, $4.7MM base value. $1MM guaranteed. $500K signing bonus (Twitter links via Wilson).
  • Kurt Coleman, S (Panthers): Two years, $2.8MM base value. $600K signing bonus (Twitter links via Wilson).
  • O’Brien Schofield, DE (Falcons): One year, $1.7MM base value. $255K signing bonus (Twitter links via Wilson).
  • Chris Conte, S (Buccaneers): One year, $1.5MM base value. $1.25MM fully guaranteed (Twitter link via Adam Caplan of ESPN.com).
Show all