AFC Notes: Browns, Thomas, Colts
Here’s a look at the AFC:
- Browns offensive tackle Joe Thomas, who has been ruled out for the year, says he’ll wait until the offseason to determine whether he wants to continue playing. However, he did say that he is happy playing in Cleveland for coach Hue Jackson (Twitter link via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com). “Love Hue, loved playing for him. Playing for him was awesome and I’d definitely love to continue playing for him,” Thomas said.
- There has been speculation about the job security of Colts coach Chuck Pagano, but Stephen Holder of the Indy Star hasn’t seen any signs of an immediate change. He notes that the team’s Monday media schedule includes Pagano’s standard news conference at its usual time. If Pagano was being shown the door today, the Colts probably would have held off of releasing the schedule. Meanwhile, team sources indicated to Holder that the team is taking a patient, long-term approach to 2017. Of course, that won’t satisfy Colts fans who are frustrated after the team’s 27-0 loss to Jacksonville on Sunday.
- Dolphins wide receiver DeVante Parker will run and test out his injured ankle on Tuesday, Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald (Twitter link) hears. If it responds well, he is hopeful to play on Thursday against Baltimore. So far this year, Parker has 19 receptions for 236 yards and a touchdown.
Latest On Jay Cutler, Dolphins’ QB Situation
Confirming reports from Sunday night, Dolphins quarterback Jay Cutler did indeed suffer cracked ribs in Miami’s Week 7 win over the Jets, tweets Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. Cutler is initially expected to miss two-to-three weeks while recovering from the injury.
With Cutler sidelined, Miami is meeting with free agent quarterback David Fales, per Rapoport (Twitter link). Fales spent the summer with the Dolphins, and also worked under Miami head coach Adam Gase when the pair was in Chicago. Given that history, Fales should have enough familiarity with Gase’s offense in order to serve as Matt Moore‘s backup on Thursday night. If signed, Fales will have been chosen over Dolphins practice squad quarterback Brandon Doughty.
Despite Cutler’s struggles to begin the 2017 season, he’s expected to remain Miami’s starter under center when he returns from injury, according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald. Moore could certainly change that with excellent play over the next several weeks, but the Dolphins plan to re-insert Cutler when he’s available. Cutler, who un-retired to join Miami, hasn’t performed well this year, as he ranks 28th in quarterback rating and 29th in adjusted net yards per attempt.
Knee Condition Affecting Ajayi Development?
- Jay Ajayi‘s chemistry with Jay Cutler may be suffering because of a chronic knee condition that keeps the Dolphins running back out of at least one practice per week, Roy Cummings of FloridaFootballInsiders.com notes. Miami OC Clyde Christensen said Ayaji’s condensed practice time is limiting his development as a pass-catcher. Ajayi has just seven receptions (on 12 targets) for 23 yards through five games. He wasn’t used much in the passing game last season, but the third-year running back remains productive on the ground with his 391 rushing yards ranking seventh in the league.
Chris Foerster Checks Into Rehab
- Former Dolphins OL coach Chris Foerster has checked into a rehab facility in Miami, per Schefter. Foerster’s decision comes less than a week after his resignation from his post with the Dolphins following publication of a video that shows him snorting a white, powdery substance off a desk in the Dolphins’ training facility. Should another NFL club try to hire him in the future — and he had been in demand in the past — he would be subject to league discipline.
Dolphins Players Not Calling For Cutler Benching
- Despite some outside outcries for the Dolphins to bench Jay Cutler, Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald doesn’t get the feeling Dolphins players are ready to see the recently acquired veteran demoted just yet. In attempting 26 passes against the Titans, Cutler completed just 12 for 92 yards. The Dolphins plan to stick with Cutler throughout the season, although that plan could certainly be revised down the road if this offense regresses further.
Dolphins Notes: Landry, 2018 Offense
- While Jarvis Landry won’t face any legal ramifications after battery charges against him were dropped last month, the Dolphins wide receiver will still meet with NFL regarding the allegations on October 24, reports Josina Anderson of ESPN.com (Twitter link). Both Landry and his girlfriend have refuted the accusations, but the league has often punished players even when no official charges are filed, and the NFL reportedly has video of the incident in question. From an on-field perspective, Landry is a pending free agent who has engaged in no substantive extension talks with Miami.
- Given that the Dolphins rank 31st in offensive DVOA and 32nd in points scored, Miami could potentially “refit” its offense in 2018, reports Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald. Not much can be done about the club’s lackluster efforts in-season, as benching players could create locker room dysfunction. But changes could come next year, and the most obvious would be Ryan Tannehill returning to replace quarterback Jay Cutler. Allowing Landry to walk in free agency and reinforcing the offensive line could also be on the Dolphins’ itinerary.
Dolphins Hire Dave DeGuglielmo As Asst.
The Dolphins have hired Dave DeGuglielmo as a senior offensive assistant, the club announced today. Jeff Darlington of ESPN.com first linked DeGuglielmo to Miami earlier this week. DeGuglielmo will replace Chris Foerster, who resigned on Monday after a video was posted showing Foerster snorting a white substance.
Although DeGuglielmo will land in South Beach, it doesn’t appear that he’ll be formally taking over as the club’s offensive line coach. Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald indicated on Tuesday that that could be the case, and assistant offensive line coach Chris Kuper will presumably take on a more prominent role in leading the Dolphins’ front five.
DeGuglielmo, 49, offers vast experience as an offensive line coach at both the collegiate and NFL level. He’s worked for Miami before, as he was the club’s line coach from 2009-11. Most recently, DeGuglielmo served as the Patriots’ offensive line coach from 2014-15 and as an assistant with the Chargers in 2016.
While Foerster clearly didn’t resign because of the Dolphins’ on-field performance, Miami’s offensive line has been nothing special this season. The unit is below average in both adjusted line yards and adjusted sack rate, per Football Outsiders, while none of the Dolphins’ linemen rank inside the top-20 at their respective positions, according to Pro Football Focus.
DeGuglielmo earned a job in Miami, but Dave Magazu — who worked under Dolphins head coach Adam Gase in both Denver and Chicago — was reportedly in consideration for a gig, as well.
AFC Notes: Pats, Gronk, Brady, Dolphins
The Patriots‘ decision to deactivate Rob Gronkowski for Thursday night’s game could cost him major money at the end of the season, ESPN.com’s Mike Reiss points out. Gronkowski has played in 70.5% of the team’s snaps this season, which puts him on pace for the lowest possible incentives tier of $6.75MM. He can still reach the first ($10.75MM) and second tiers ($8.75MM) based on receptions, receiving yards, touchdowns, or All-Pro selection, but those markers will also be hard to reach without a certain volume of snaps.
Here’s more from around the AFC:
- Patriots quarterback Tom Brady suffered what is thought to be an AC joint sprain in his left, non-throwing shoulder, a source tells Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (on Twitter). He says he’ll play on Sunday against the Jets.
- The Dolphins are expected to bring back assistant Dave DeGuglielmo to take over as the team’s new offensive line coach, Jeff Darlington of ESPN.com reports (Twitter link).
- Despite some recent optimism, it’s premature to say that Chargers first-round pick Mike Williams will be ready to make his NFL debut next week, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets.
- Cody Latimer, one of the Broncos‘ top special teamers, underwent a blood injection procedure in his right knee and could be out for the next game or so, Mike Klis of 9 News writes. Latimer has excelled as a kick returner so far this year with an average of 28.4 per attempt. He’s also a gunner on punt and kickoff coverage.
- Former NFL safety Taylor Mays has signed with the CFL’s Roughriders, as Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. The former second-round pick was most recently with the Bengals.
Dolphins OL Coach Chris Foerster Resigns
Dolphins offensive line coach Chris Foerster has resigned following the publication of a video that shows him snorting a white substance, tweets Ian Rapoport of NFL.com.
“I am resigning from my position with the Miami Dolphins and accept full responsibility for my actions,” said Foerster in a statement. “I want to apologize to the organization and my sole focus is on getting the help that I need with the support of my family and medical professionals.”
The video can be viewed here, but please be warned that it does contain probable drug use and offensive language. Foerster is speaking to the camera and indicates that he will snort the substance on the table before heading to a meeting. A source tells Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald that the video appeared to have been recorded in the Dolphins’ offices.
Foerster, 55, has been an NFL coach since the 1993 season, coaching offensive lines and tight ends during that time. He was also the Dolphins’ offensive coordinator in 2004 under head coach Jim Bates. Foerster has worked for seven organizations during his NFL tenure, and had been in his current position since 2016.
As the Dolphins search to replace Foerster, assistant offensive line coach Chris Kuper would seemingly be a candidate to be promoted, as Salguero notes. Kuper, who played under Miami head coach Adam Gase when both were with the Broncos, has worked with the Dolphins since 2016. Dave Magazu, who worked as an OL coach with Gase in both Denver and Chicago, is being considered for the position, per Salguero.
Dolphins Not Planning To Bench Jay Cutler
Jay Cutler has not exactly settled into a groove as the Dolphins’ starter after re-emerging from a brief retirement, and he delivered another unimpressive performance in Week 5.
Cutler finished with just 92 yards passing despite attempting 26 passes. Although the Dolphins beat the Marcus Mariota-less Titans, Cutler has not played well for most of this season. But the team is not planning a quarterback switch this season.
Not only do the Dolphins plan to stick with Cutler next week, they don’t intend to bench him for the rest of the season, Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports. Multiple sources inside the organization informed Salguero the job is Cutler’s, despite his string of ineffective performances.
Adam Gase said (via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald) Cutler’s “way down on the list” of the Dolphins’ offensive problems, adding the offense would be better if “guys would do their job, catch the ball, block the right guys, give the quarterback a chance to do something.” The Dolphins dropped five passes on Sunday, with four of those coming in a seven-play span.
Gase was asked about a possible benching of Ryan Tannehill last season and steadfastly shot that down, so the team both publicly and privately expressing Cutler support isn’t surprising even if the offense is not where it was during Gase’s first season at the controls.
