Greg Olsen Says He’ll Play Out Contract
Panthers tight end Greg Olsen was hoping to have his deal reworked this offseason and even intimated that he might sit out during training camp to get what he wanted. On Tuesday morning, Olsen said he’s changing course. He’ll instead play out his contract so as to not cause further distraction to the team, the tight end tells Tiffany Blackmon of the NFL Network (on Twitter). 
[RELATED: Panthers TE Greg Olsen Won’t Hold Out]
It’s not uncommon for players to back off of holdout threats, but it’s rare that a player will entirely abandon his pursuit of a better contract at the same time. Apparently, Olsen does not want to rock the boat in Carolina days after the team fired Dave Gettleman and brought back Marty Hurney to serve as interim GM.
Olsen was facing an uphill battle in trying to get his deal reworked with two years to go, but he also had a compelling case to make. His three-year, $22.5MM extension signed prior to the 2015 season was a reasonable deal at the time, but it now seems drastically under market for a player coming off of a third consecutive Pro Bowl nod.
With another quality season, Olsen and the Panthers can be expected to discuss an extension that will allow him to end his career in Carolina. In the interim, Olsen will put his contract qualms aside and focus on football.
Bills Sign Sam Barrington, Baccari Rambo
The Bills have signed linebacker Sam Barrington, safety Bacarri Rambo, and offensive lineman Karim Barton, according to a team announcement. To make room, linebacker Anthony Harrell has been cut and center Patrick Lewis has been waived/injured. 
Barrington spent the first three years of his career with the Packers but was waived before last year’s 53-man cut. The Chiefs claimed him off waivers, but he did not record an official statistic in his two games there and was quickly discarded. In November, he signed with the Saints and finished out the year there. It has been a quiet offseason for Barrington. Before today, the only mention we heard of his name was a May workout for the Jaguars.
Rambo, 27, hooked on with the Dolphins midway through the 2016 season. In nine games (five starts), he recorded 39 total tackles, one interceptions, and three passes defensed.
Barton has bounced around for a few years, being signed to reserve/futures deals by the Browns (2015), Texans (’16) and Titans (’17). The 25-year-old has never played in a game.
The Bills claimed Lewis off waivers from the Seahawks in late August and, in an unorthodox move, signed him to a one-year extension less than two weeks later. Per the terms of that deal, Lewis was slated to earn $1.2MM in 2017.
Dolphins Work Out CB Alterraun Verner
The Dolphins are working out veteran cornerbacks on Tuesday, including former Bucs star Alterraun Verner, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. Tony Carter, best known for his time with the Broncos, is also among those auditioning. 
Verner worked out for the Jaguars back in May, but the Jags passed in part because of his poor conditioning. Months later, one would hope that Verner is back in football shape. Verner was regarded as one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL a few years back when he signed a four-year, $25.5MM deal with the Bucs in 2014. Unfortunately, the 28-year-old never lived up to that big money contract while in Tampa Bay.
Verner and Carter can both play the slot and Miami may see them as potential alternatives to Bobby McCain. Overall, cornerback is one of the Dolphins’ thinnest areas. The Dolphins project to start Byron Maxwell and rising sophomore Xavien Howard with converted wide receiver Tony Lippett, third-round pick Cordrea Tankersley, and McCain in support.
It was expected that Miami would look into cornerbacks before the start of training camp, but one has to wonder if the Dolphins will also kick the tires on some backup defensive tackle options. It has been said that rookie defensive tackles Davon Godchaux and Vincent Taylor are too raw right now to be counted upon as rotation players. The Dolphins took a look at Roy Miller last week, but they did not sign him after the workout.
Ravens Sign RB Bobby Rainey
With Kenneth Dixon set for meniscus surgery, the Ravens are getting some reinforcements at just the right time. Baltimore will sign running back Bobby Rainey, according to Jeff Zrebiec of The Baltimore Sun (Twitter link). 
[RELATED: Ravens RB Kenneth Dixon Done For Season]
Rainey, 29, spent the 2016 campaign with the Giants but he only got to carry the ball 17 times while adding 20 receptions. On special teams, he averaged 6.5 yards per punt return and 25.5 yards per kick return. A five-year NFL veteran, Rainey’s most notable pro seasons came with the Buccaneers in 2013 and 2014, as he rushed for more than 400 yards in each year. Rainey didn’t get a lot of opportunities with the G-Men last year, but he has shown that he can be a decent runner with pass catching ability.
Rainey will now slot in behind Terrance West, Danny Woodhead, Buck Allen, and Lorenzo Taliaferro on the Ravens’ running back depth chart. There could be a chance for him to stick in Baltimore now that Dixon has been ruled out for the season.
The signing actually marks Rainey’s second go ’round with the Ravens. Rainey’ broke into the NFL as an undrafted free agent with Baltimore in 2012 and even spent time on the 53-man roster, but he was never on the active gameday roster. His time with the Ravens ended when he was cut prior to the 2013 campaign.
Ravens RB Kenneth Dixon Suffers Injury
Bad news for the Ravens. Running back Kenneth Dixon suffered a tear in his meniscus, a source tells Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (on Twitter). He’ll undergo surgery with the hope that the meniscus only needs to be trimmed. After the operation, we should know more about Dixon’s condition and timetable for a return. 
[RELATED: Ravens Sign RB Bobby Rainey]
Dixon was already slated to miss the first four games of the season due to a PED suspension. Now, he’ll have to miss valuable camp time that he was hoping to use to separate himself from some of the other running backs on the roster.
Dixon, a fourth-round pick in the 2016 draft, was part of a committee backfield employed by the Ravens last season. He was on the short end of the stick, however, as he finished out with only 88 carries. The 23-year-old put up a solid 4.3 yards per carry average on those limited attempts and also added 30 receptions.
Terrance West, free agent addition Danny Woodhead, and Buck Allen are expected to be the top backs for Baltimore to start the year. Lorenzo Taliaferro profiles as the RB4 to begin the season while the newly-signed Bobby Rainey will try to push for a roster spot.
Extra Points: Chiefs, Johnson, Colts, Chargers
Some assorted notes from around the NFL as we wrap up this Monday evening…
- Chiefs coach Andy Reid said he was not involved in the evaluation process in promoting Brett Veach to GM (Twitter link via James Palmer of NFL.com). The Chiefs promoted the 39-year-old earlier this month, and reports indicated that while Veach will have control over the roster, he’ll ultimately work in tandem with his head coach.
- Here’s something that could affect the Browns‘ roster bubble: Duke Johnson profiles more as a wide receiver right now than a running back, Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer writes. Johnson is the leading candidate to replace Andrew Hawkins as the team’s No. 1 slot receiver and has been split out wide at times in practice. After carrying the ball 104 times as a rookie, Johnson ran the ball only 73 times in 2016 and he could be looking at another reduction this year.
- The Colts have not had substantive extension talks with left guard Jack Mewhort as he enters his contract year, Stephen Holder of the Indy Star tweets. Mewhort has started at left guard with some appearances at tackle since entering the league in 2014. Unfortunately, the former second round pick saw his season cut short last year due to a knee injury. Mewhort has graded out as a starting caliber player for the Colts in each of his NFL seasons. In 2016, he was PFF’s 23rd ranked guard.
- Titans guard Sebastian Tretola apparently suffered a minor injury from a bullet, and ESPN’s Paul Kuharsky tweeted a statement from the organization: “We are aware of the reports that Sebastian received treatment for a wound when he was grazed by a bullet…He has been released from the hospital and is thankful for only a minor injury.” The 2016 sixth-round pick appeared in only one game as a rookie last season.
- Following news that Chargers wide receiver Mike Williams might need season-ending surgery on a herniated disk in his back, ESPN.com’s Eric D. Williams explored whether the team could bring back veteran Vincent Jackson. The writer ultimately believes that he wouldn’t be a fit, as the team could rely on a number of young players to fill the void. Alternatively, the team could opt for a number of free agents (including Stevie Johnson and Vincent Brown) who are more familiar with the team’s current offensive scheme. Jackson spent the first seven seasons of his career in San Diego, earning a pair of Pro Bowl selections.
Zach Links contributed to this post.
NFC Rumors: Freeman, Giants, Eagles, Vikings
The Falcons are set to begin training camp this week, but Thomas Dimitroff said he’ll be focused on working out a contract with running back Devonta Freeman. The general manager told ESPN.com’s Vaughn McClure that he’d like to have a deal finalized by Thursday at the latest (Twitter link).
We’ve heard reports throughout the offseason that the two sides would ultimately agree on a new deal, with owner Arthur Blank recently stating that an extension was coming “fairly soon.” Meanwhile, while Freeman is obviously seeking a new contract, he’s more than willing to wait for a deal that is reflective of his talent. Over the past two years, the running back has collected at least 1,000 yards and 11 touchdowns per season, and he’s averaged 63 receptions during that same span.
Last week, Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com wondered if the extension delay could be attributed to uneasy negotiations. Earlier today, former agent Joel Corry tweeted that Freeman’s camp should “insist” that the recently-rejected contract offer to Le’Veon Bell “reflects the top” of the running back market.
Let’s take a look at some more notes from around the NFC…
- Giants wide receiver Roger Lewis is no longer facing charge of operating a vehicle while impaired, as Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com writes. Of course, the 23-year-old could still face punishment from the NFL even though he is legally in the clear. Last year, Lewis appeared in 13 games for the G-Men and finished with seven catches for 97 yards and two touchdowns.
- It sounds like Eagles fifth round pick Shelton Gibson may be a longshot to make the Eagles’ 53-man roster. The wide receiver is “by no means where he wants to be or where we want him to be,” said head coach Doug Pederson (Twitter link via Brandon Lee Gowton of SB Nation).
- Meanwhile, Pederson discussed the Eagles‘ decision to move on from receiver Dorial Green-Beckham, who was waived earlier this month. “With the additions of some of the young guys picked up this spring, we just felt like it was in his interest and our best interest to let him find another suitor and keep developing our younger guys in that role,” Pederson said (via Zach Berman of Philly.com). The former second-round pick was traded to the Eagles last offseason, and he finished his lone season in Philly with 36 receptions for 392 yards and two touchdowns.
- With Dalvin Cook, Latavius Murray, and Jerick McKinnon ahead of him on the Vikings‘ depth chart, C.J. Ham knows that playing fullback gives him the best chance at making the 53-man roster, Mark Craig of the Star Tribune writes. Although he is still listed as a running back, the Vikings have been transitioning him to fullback since the middle of OTAs. The Vikings are unsure as to whether they’ll carry a true fullback or if they’ll just rely on reserve tight ends to do some lead blocking. “That’s part of the [evaluation]; Do we keep a fullback on the roster or do we add more tight ends,” said head coach Mike Zimmer. “That should all shake out here in this preseason. If a guy is going to play say 10 plays a game, he’s also got to be really good on special teams to make the squad.”
Zach Links contributed to this post.
Minor NFL Transactions: 7/24/17
Today’s minor moves:
- The Vikings have signed tackle Arturo Uzdavinis, bringing their roster back up to the 90-man max. The former undrafted rookie out of Tulane has bounced around since joining the league, previously spending time with the Texans, Bears, Jaguars, and Lions. The Vikings are currently rostering six other offensive tackles in Riley Reiff, Mike Remmers, Jeremiah Sirles, T.J. Clemmings, Rashod Hill, and Willie Beavers.
- The Broncos have waived linebacker Josh Banderas with a non-football injury designation, reports Nicki Jhabvala of The Denver Post (via Twitter). The former Nebraska standout joined the organization as an undrafted free agent earlier this offseason. The defender earned All-Big Ten Coaches and Media honors in 2016 after compiling 93 tackles.
- The Eagles announced (via Twitter) that they have signed tight end Adam Zaruba to a three-year contract. Zaruba, who played rugby in Canada, is coming off of a successful audition with Philly. The 6-foot-5, 265-pound player is set to compete with Zach Ertz, Trey Burton, Brent Celek, Anthony Denham, and Billy Brown for a spot on the roster. According to Zach Berman of The Philadelphia Inquirer (on Twitter), despite working out with the team on Sunday, Zaruba can’t return to the Eagles until he is granted a visa.
Michael Mauti Re-Signs With Saints
Michael Mauti will be back with the Saints next season. According to Josh Katzenstein of NOLA.com, the linebacker and special teams ace has signed a one-year contract with the team. The 27-year-old will earn a $775K base salary, with $125K guaranteed and a $80K signing bonus.
Throughout the offseason, it sounded like that Mauti would ultimately return to New Orleans. Back in April, head coach Sean Payton said that he expected the linebacker to be fully recovered from offseason surgery by the time training camp came around, even though Mauti was still a free agent at the time. Despite the optimism, Mauti worked out for the Texans late last week (via Katzenstein), but a workout with the Saints earlier today ultimately led to a new contract.
Mauti was forced to undergo three surgeries (including one to remove his large intestine) over the past year to fix his ulcerative colitis, a disease that forced him to end his 2016 season prematurely. The former seventh-round pick had to get back into football shape before securing an offer, perhaps explaining why it took so long for the organization to re-sign him.
Following two underwhelming seasons with the Vikings, Mauti has caught on with the Saints over the past two years. The linebacker has compiled 46 tackles and one forced fumble in 24 games (two starts) with New Orleans, and his special teams prowess earned him a role as a captain last season. Mauti will presumably continue to contribute on that unit, as the Saints are currently rostering nine other linebackers.
Robert Griffin III To Work Out For Chargers
Robert Griffin III has finally secured that elusive work out. According to ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter (via Twitter), the quarterback is set to work out for the Chargers tomorrow.
The former second-overall pick seemingly hasn’t generated any interest this offseason, as this is the first reported workout for the 27-year-old. The Seahawks previously expressed interest in the former Rookie of the Year, but the team ultimately opted for Austin Davis. Reports from earlier this month indicated that there was “mild interest” in the embattled quarterback, and it was believed that several teams would be willing to give him an opportunity during training camp. While he’s waited for an invite, Griffin has been training in Florida with former Browns assistance coach Pep Hamilton.
Teams are presumably wary of Griffin’s extensive injury history, as the quarterback has yet to make it through one of his NFL seasons unscathed. After not appearing in a single game during the 2015 season, Griffin made five starts for the Browns last year before succumbing to a shoulder injury. The quarterback completed only 59.2-percent of his passes in 2016, throwing for 886 yards, two touchdowns, and three interceptions. He still showed the ability to run the ball, as he compiled 190 rushing yards and two touchdowns on only 31 carries.
Besides starter Philip Rivers, the Chargers are currently rostering three quarterbacks in veteran Kellen Clemens, Mike Bercovici, and undrafted rookie Eli Jenkins. ESPN’s Eric Williams tweets that coach Anthony Lynn has been on the look out for a mobile backup quarterback, and Griffin would certainly fit the bill.
