Saints Lose OL Will Clapp For Season

The Saints have lost another piece of interior offensive line depth with center Will Clapp joining guard Nick Saldiveri on season-ending injured reserve, per Nick Underhill of NewOrleans.Football.

Clapp, 29, is dealing with a Lisfranc injury, according to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo. He was listed as the Saints’ second-team center on their unofficial depth chart; now, New Orleans will have to find a new backup to Erik McCoy.

The job will likely fall to veteran Shane Lemieux, who recently re-signed with the Saints after Saldiveri’s knee injury. Lemieux, currently listed as the backup right guard, started four games as the team’s center in 2024. A majority of his experience prior to arriving in New Orleans last year came as a left guard for the Giants, making the 28-year-old a valuable multi-positional backup for the 2025 season.

Clapp’s injury could also help second-year UDFA and third-team center Kyle Hergel make the 53-man roster. Even if Lemieux holds down the backup center role, his potential to be needed at guard may keep Hergel around as an emergency center.

The Saints also worked out a number of veteran offensive linemen, according to Underhill. including Cody Whitehair, Scott Quessenberry, and Nick Harris. However, New Orleans decided to sign a less experienced option in Mike Panasiuk, who also tried out on Tuesday. Panasiuk, 27, spent time with the Raiders, Panthers, and Colts as a defensive tackle before converting to center last year, but has yet to appear in an NFL game.

Clapp, meanwhile, will spend the season rehabbing his foot. Lisfranc injuries are notoriously tricky to recover from, so shutting him down this early in the year should give him a chance at getting back on the field in time for the 2026 season.

The seven-year veteran is in his second stint with the Saints after starting his NFL career in New Orleans as a seventh-round pick in 2018. He started seven games across his first four years with the Saints before signing with the Chargers in 2022 to back up center Corey Linsley. Clapp took over the starting job when Linsley stepped away from the field due to a health issue, but ended the season on the IR with a knee injury. The Chargers went in a different direction when replacing Linsley in the offseason, and Clapp signed with the Bills ahead of the 2024 season. He didn’t appear in a game until Week 18, when he started at right guard and played every snap.

In addition to placing Clapp on the IR, the Saints also waived tight end Mason Pline with an injury designation, according to ESPN’s Katherine Terrell. With a third spot opened by waiving injured wide receiver Chris Tyree, New Orleans signed tight end Seth Green, defensive tackle Jayden Peevy, and wide receiver Roderick Daniels, per Terrell.

IR Stint In Play For Bills’ Maxwell Hairston

The Bills avoided the worst-case scenario with Maxwell Hairston, but the first-round pick still looks unlikely to begin the season on time. How much of the season he misses now looks like the key question.

Hairston suffered an LCL sprain early in training camp. While this represented a significant break for the Bills after an ACL tear was initially feared, Sean McDermott said an IR stint to open the season is in play. Due to Hairston’s recovery timeline, McDermott confirmed (via The Athletic’s Joe Buscaglia) the team will probably need to discuss the prospect of Maxwell opening the season on IR. On a positive note, McDermott said (via the Buffalo News’ Lance Lysowski) Hairston is off crutches.

Buffalo would have two IR options with Hairston. The team could use one of its two summer IR-return slots, which are available to teams before roster-cutdown day, to save a roster spot as Hairston continues to rehab. The Bills could also carry Hairston on the 53-man roster past cutdown day and then shift him to IR. The second path would be unlikely, as it is expected Hairston will be back to contribute as a rookie. He thus makes sense for one of the team’s August IR-return slots, which must be announced by 3pm CT August 26.

Last year, the Bills used both their summer IR-return slots — which became available to teams beginning in 2024 — by stashing Matt Milano and running back Darrynton Evans on their injured list. This covered two of Buffalo’s eight injury activations. While Milano returned from IR late in the season, the Bills did not activate Evans and instead cut him.

The team had aimed for Hairston to start opposite the recently extended Christian Benford, letting Rasul Douglas test free agency. While the two-year Buffalo starter remains available, the Bills have reunited with Tre’Davious White. The former All-Pro, whose career skidded off track due to ACL and Achilles tears, is moving toward a chance to start again. This represents a risk due to White’s recent form, but the Bills have been pleased with how the nine-year veteran has looked during camp.

White is going into his age-30 season and struggled in four Rams starts, being traded (to the Ravens) in a seventh-round pick swap at the deadline. Baltimore used White as a backup in seven games. White started 82 games for the Bills from 2017-23. Buffalo also reunited with 28-game starter Dane Jackson this offseason; Jackson spent 2023 with the Panthers.

Hairston missing this much practice time will likely affect his development. The Bills will not be eligible to designate the Kentucky product to return to practice until after Week 4. It would make sense Hairston hitting IR would lead to a longer absence than the four-game minimum, as the team would seemingly want him to ramp up during practice. The Bills could avoid this scenario by keeping Hairston off IR, using a week-to-week strategy that would allow for earlier practice work in the event he is ready.

Bills’ James Cook Sits Out Preseason Opener; HC Sean McDermott Wanted RB To Play

Bills running back James Cook, who was an active participant in Buffalo’s practices when training camp began, switched to a hold-in strategy last week as extension talks with the team drag on. That approach has now carried over into preseason games.

Per Jay Skurski of the Buffalo News, Cook warmed up with his teammates before the Bills’ preseason opener against the Giants on Saturday. ESPN’s Alaina Getzenberg adds Cook was in full uniform and even took a snap with the first-team offense during 11-on-11 drills. However, he did not play in the game.

Head coach Sean McDermott acknowledged after the game that he wanted Cook to participate. Outside of quarterback Josh Allen and several other players who have injury concerns, most of the team’s projected starters did play to some extent. McDermott also said he had a “good conversation” with Cook on Friday, at which point Cook agreed to participate in warmups but made plain he would not actually play.

“We wanted him to play. I wanted him to play, but I don’t really want to go into it any further,” McDermott said (via Getzenberg). “There is really no change at this point in time from what it was going into this weekend and the game today, so he warmed up, like I said, but at this point, due to the situation and position he’s in, he was not willing to play, so that’s where we’re at. Again, it was a good conversation, but really no change overall.”

Shortly after it became clear Cook was holding in, a follow-up report indicated player and team were still engaged in contract discussions and were not too far apart in those discussions. But GM Brandon Beane, while confirming he hoped to strike a deal keeping Cook in the fold beyond 2025, appeared to leave open the possibility that such an agreement may not come until after the season.

Between those comments and McDermott’s “no change” remarks, it is difficult to say where negotiations stand at this point. Cook declined to comment after the game, though his agent, Zac Hiller, did send a text to ESPN.

“I don’t know what else he can do to show he only wants to play for the Bills,” the text read (via Getzenberg). “Hopefully we can figure this out and refocus all energy on bringing a Super Bowl to Buffalo.”

Missing training camp practices is one thing, but missing regular season games is quite another, and it may not be a viable option for Cook. Still, the championship-caliber Bills clearly want to have their RB1 available and in football shape for the upcoming campaign, which opens with a contest against the Ravens, one of their top AFC competitors.

For now, the stare-down continues. 

Minor NFL Transactions: 8/10/25

Here are the latest minor moves from around the NFL:

Arizona Cardinals

Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens

  • Placed on IR: CB Robert Longerbeam

Buffalo Bills

Denver Broncos

Detroit Lions

New England Patriots

  • Signed: RB Deneric Prince, DE Jereme Robinson
  • Waived: S Josh Minkins
  • Placed on IR: RB Lan Larison

New Orleans Saints

  • Waived/injured: WR Chris Tyree

Larison suffered a foot injury during a promising preseason debut against the Commanders on Friday night. He will undergo surgery and spend the season rehabbing, according to ESPN’s Mike Reiss, with the hope of renewing his 53-man roster push next summer.

Minor NFL Transactions: 8/8/25

Friday’s minor moves around the NFL:

Buffalo Bills

Dallas Cowboys

Indianapolis Colts

Kansas City Chiefs

  • Released from IR via injury settlement: CB Darius Rush

San Francisco 49ers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

Bills kicker Tyler Bass is currently dealing with pelvic area soreness, ESPN’s Alaina Getzenberg notes. As a result, the team recently worked out a number of free agents to handle kicking duties during tomorrow’s preseason game. Davis – an undrafted rookie – was recently waived by the Jets, but he will get at least one opportunity to audition for a roster spot.

Ahmed was recently taken down in a Colts practice by a hip-drop tackle. As a result, ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Stephen Holder report the veteran suffered an ankle injury. Ahmed’s attention will turn to rehabbing the ailment; unless he is released by way of an injury settlement, he will not play in 2025.

Minor NFL Transactions: 8/7/25

Here are Thursday’s minor moves:

Arizona Cardinals

Buffalo Bills

Dallas Cowboys

Detroit Lions

  • Signed: TE Steven Stilianos

Los Angeles Chargers

  • Signed: TE Thomas Yassmin
  • Waived/injured: TE Jordan Petaia

New York Giants

  • Released from IR via injury settlement: LB Ty Summers

San Francisco 49ers

Tennessee Titans

Hernandez received full clearance after an October 2024 ACL tear, but his Cardinals return will not come with immediate full-time practice duty. The former Giants second-round pick should be considered a strong candidate to start again for the Cards, but for now, the team is easing him back into action.

Summer expects to be running again soon after suffering a groin injury, according to ESPN.com’s Jordan Raanan, who indicates a return to the Giants is not off the radar. Summers played 16 games for the Giants last season, starting two.

A former Giants first-rounder who has bounced around the league in recent years, Apple will see his 49ers stint last barely a week. The 49ers were Apple’s seventh NFL team. He spent last season with the Chargers, playing four games.

Bills CB Tre’Davious White On Track For Starting Spot

The 2025 season will mark the beginning of Tre’Davious White‘s second stint with the Bills. The former All-Pro corner is on track to handle a first-team defensive role during his latest Buffalo spell.

Christian Benford is entrenched as the team’s top cover man. Taron Johnson, meanwhile, is preparing for his eighth season with the Bills and another as their starting slot corner. The second boundary CB role has been up for grabs this offseason, with White and first-round rookie Maxwell Hairston competing for it.

As ESPN’s Alaina Getzenberg writes, the last starting cornerback position is “White’s to lose” at this point. Hairston recently went down with a knee injury which drew fears of a major ailment such as an ACL tear but turned out to be an LCL sprain. The Kentucky product is expected to recover in time for the regular season, but his rehab process is costing him valuable practice reps.

Hairston has also been named in a civil suit alleging sexual assault during his freshman year at college. The 22-year-old has denied the allegations and has received the backing of the Bills since being drafted. Hairston could miss time through league discipline in the event a league investigation were to conclude a violation of the NFL’s personal conduct policy took place.

In any case, White is on track to be counted on heavily in 2025. The two-time Pro Bowler’s first Buffalo tenure included high-end play when healthy but also a pair of major injuries. After playing only 10 combined games between the 2022 and ’23 campaigns, White was cut last spring and played on two teams last season. Immediately after the campaign ended, though, it became clear the 30-year-old was interested in returning to Buffalo. A one-year deal was worked out in April.

White is a veteran of 93 appearances and 86 starts. If he can remain healthy, that experience will be welcomed on a Bills team once again aiming for a deep postseason run. A strong starting campaign from White would help a Buffalo team featuring Hairston as a potential successor but also his free agent market next spring.

Minor NFL Transactions: 8/6/25

Today’s minor moves:

Buffalo Bills

Chicago Bears

  • Waived/injured: TE Jordan Murray

Cleveland Browns

Green Bay Packers

Houston Texans

Los Angeles Chargers

  • Waived: TE McCallan Castles

New Orleans Saints

New York Jets

Seattle Seahawks

Bills LB Baylon Spector suffered a calf injury earlier this week that ultimately cost him his roster spot, but he seems destined to ultimately land on the team’s injured reserve. Buffalo was quick to add Jimmy Ciarlo as the replacement. The former West Point captain spent most of his rookie campaign with the Jets, and he garnered auditions with the Giants and Patriots after getting let go by Gang Green in May.

The Texans added some depth at wide receiver in Quintez Cephus, although it came at the expense of Johnny Johnson III. The former Lions draft pick lasted three seasons in Detroit, where he hauled in 37 receptions for 568 yards and four touchdowns. Cephus was banned for the 2023 campaign for violating the league’s gambling policy, and he’s since had stints with the Bills, Texans, Rams, and 49ers. Following his first gig in Houston, he had a brief stint playing under Nick Caley in Los Angeles.

Bills Have Discussed Extensions With Connor McGovern, David Edwards

Set to return the same starting offensive line from 2024, the Bills are in good shape at these positions. They have Dion Dawkins and Spencer Brown locked up long term, and right guard O’Cyrus Torrence‘s rookie deal runs through 2026.

The group’s other two starters, however, are in contract years. Connor McGovern is going into the final season of a three-year, $22.35MM deal; David Edwardstwo-year, $6MM accord expires after the season. These walk-year statuses create questions for the perennial AFC East champions.

Although the Bills have already completed four notable offseason extensions — for Khalil Shakir, Terrel Bernard, Christian Benford and Gregory Rousseau — and are negotiating with hold-in running back James Cook, the two walk-year O-line starters are not out of the mix for new deals. Both players said (via the Niagara Gazette’s Nick Sabato; subscription required) extension talks have commenced, though Sabato indicates deals are not imminent.

Buffalo’s extension spree spanned a few weeks in the spring, with Benford’s wrapping March 29. That quartet clearly landed in the team’s first tier in terms of extension priorities, and all four agreed on deals outside the top echelon of their respective positions’ markets. The two interior O-line starters’ contract situations lingering into training camp, when Cook exists as a seemingly higher priority, points to at least one — perhaps both — playing out a contract year.

McGovern landed the better deal as a 2023 free agent, and he completed a guard-to-center transition after the Bills’ 2024 Mitch Morse release. ESPN’s pass block win rate metric ranked McGovern 14th among all interior O-linemen last season, and Pro Football Focus graded him 10th among centers. A former Cowboys third-round pick, McGovern has made 62 career starts and is going into an age-28 season.

The Bills as a team posted top-six rankings in pass block win rate and run block win rate, with Edwards also serving as a key presence. Two appearances in concussion protocol during the 2022 season — a slate Edwards managed only four games — impacted the former fourth-rounder’s 2023 market. The Super Bowl LVI Rams starter commanded only a one-year, $1.77MM deal, and he served as a backup in his first Bills season. Morse’s exit opened the LG position, after McGovern’s switch, and Edwards made 16 2024 starts. PFF rated Edwards 28th among guards last season; his final two healthy Rams years (2020, ’21) produced top-30 PFF placements as well.

McGovern talks began at the Pro Bowl (where McGovern was an alternate), per Sabato, pointing to the sides being apart in value. Though, McGovern did come up as an extension candidate in February. The center market saw both Lloyd Cushenberry and Drew Dalman land top-two center money — at the time of signing — during the past two free agency periods, and McGovern’s guard past would give interested teams options come 2026. The Bills also have 2024 fifth-round pick Sedrick Van Pran-Granger rostered at center as a potential contingency option; he is signed through 2027.

With Torrence likely an extension candidate next year, the Bills will have a decision to make. It is certainly possible only one of the McGovern-Edwards duo is retained, and the latter stands to be a more affordable option. This season also figures to be a bit more important for Edwards, as his career earnings do not quite align with his start count (61). Like McGovern, Edwards will play an age-28 season in 2025.

Elsewhere on Buffalo’s O-line, top backup Alec Anderson will be out for a stretch. The former UDFA underwent arthroscopic knee surgery recently, per The Athletic’s Joe Buscaglia. The Bills regularly used Anderson in six-O-lineman formations last season. Classified as week-to-week, Anderson has some time to get ready for Week 1.

Minor NFL Transactions: 8/5/25

Here are Tuesday’s minor moves:

Buffalo Bills

Chicago Bears

Cleveland Browns

Dallas Cowboys

Green Bay Packers

Houston Texans

New England Patriots

New Orleans Saints

  • Claimed off waivers (from 49ers): TE Mason Pline
  • Waived: TE Seth Green

Pittsburgh Steelers

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Dial, the Patriots second-year cornerback and special teamer, will miss his second year in the NFL after suffering a torn ACL. In cheerier news, Opeta returns to a practice field for the first time in over a year. The former Eagles backup lineman was hoping to compete for a starting left guard spot last year before tearing his ACL in the first week of camp.

Campbell makes his way off the Cowboys roster after being placed on injured reserve with a knee injury. Injuries continue to be an issue for the Ohio State alum, who has missed 51 of a possible 100 regular season games over his first six years in the league and is set to miss even more this year.

Show all