AFC Notes: Jackson, Miller, Fitzpatrick

Former Ravens offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and the Ravens released a statement denying a report by Michael Lombardi of The Athletic claiming Mornhinweg wanted to move Lamar Jackson to wide receiver. Jackson, of course, was the subject of much debate as a draft prospect with many pundits, including ESPN’s Bill Polian, calling for a position change to wide receiver.

Jackson, however, remained adamant that he was a quarterback, was selected in the first round by Baltimore and has taken the NFL by storm over the past two seasons. Mornhinweg, who was replaced by Greg Roman as the team’s offensive coordinator entering this season, made clear in his statement that “My thoughts before the draft, and even more when we started working with Lamar, was that this young man was going to be a special quarterback.” Regardless of what his opinions were at the time, Jackson has proven he is an NFL signalcaller.

Here’s more notes from around the AFC:

  • The Broncos were deflated after blowing a 20-0 lead in their 27-23 loss to the Vikings on Sunday. To try and help team moral, all-pro linebacker Von Miller organized a team dinner just a couple hours after landing back in Denver, according to Kyle Newman of the Denver Post. Per Newman’s report, the dinner was a resounding success. Players brought their family members and seemed to rebound from their loss and get ready for another week.
  • Dolphins head coach Brian Flores told reporters that Ryan Fitzpatrick will remain Miami’s starting quarterback this week against the Browns, according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. Flores, however, would not rule out the possibility of backup quarterback Josh Rosen retaking the job from Fitzpatrick at some point this season.

Mark Walton Arrested For Domestic Violence

The Dolphins cut running back Mark Walton earlier this morning, and now we know why. Miami alluded to a new legal issue in their brief statement announcing the waiving, and it turns out it’s quite serious.

Walton was arrested early this morning and accused of “punching a woman ‘several times in the face and head,’” according to Andy Slate of Fox Sports Radio (Twitter link). Slater reports that the woman is pregnant and that Walton is the father. Walton was officially charged with aggravated battery of a pregnant woman, tweets Cameron Wolfe of ESPN.com. Walton just found out he was the father on Sunday, tweets Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald. This is far from Walton’s first off-field incident, as he was arrested three times in a span of just a few months earlier this year.

Walton is currently serving a four-game suspension as a result of those arrests. Miami knew Walton was facing a suspension when they signed him, and they issued a statement sticking by him when he was hit with the ban. Walton’s previous arrests were relatively minor, and obviously this is by far the most serious.

If the initial charges prove to be true, Walton is certainly looking at a lengthy suspension and it’s quite possible his NFL career is over. The former University of Miami star had become the Dolphins’ unquestioned starter in the wake of the Kenyan Drake trade, and that might turn out to be the only significant action of his briefly promising career. Walton was drafted by the Bengals in the fourth-round back in 2018, and was released after his string of arrests. More details will likely trickle out soon, and we’ll keep you posted.

Dolphins Cut Mark Walton

The Dolphins are moving on from running back Mark Walton, they announced on Twitter. Walton was apparently involved in another as of yet undisclosed legal incident.

“We were made aware of a police matter earlier this morning regarding Mark Walton. We hold our players to a high standard and take these matters very seriously. We will have no further comment at this time,” GM Chris Grier said in a brief statement. Walton has had a ton of off-field issues during his short career, so this isn’t the most shocking news. Walton was recently suspended four games for a violation of the league’s substance abuse policy.

Walton had been arrested three times in a span of just a few months earlier this year, which ultimately led to the suspension. The Dolphins issued a statement sticking by him and saying he’d be welcomed back to the team after serving the suspension, but obviously something new happened while he was away from the franchise. Walton was drafted in the fourth-round by the Bengals back in 2018, but was cut after just one season in Cincinnati following his arrests.

The former University of Miami star came home to play for the Dolphins, and looked pretty good. He started to get more and more touches, and was for a brief period the undisputed starter after they traded away Kenyan Drake. Walton will likely get another shot from someone depending on how serious this new issue is, but he might have to wait until 2020. He still has two games left on his suspension. Second-year player Kalen Ballage will continue to filling in as the starter, with rookies Patrick Laird and Myles Gaskin filling in behind him. Ballage has struggled mightily, so he might start to lose playing time soon.

Dolphins, Allen Hurns Agree To Extension

Allen Hurns‘ Dolphins contract will now run past this season. The veteran wide receiver agreed on a two-year, $8MM deal Saturday, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets.

The deal includes $3.27MM in guarantees. Hurns initially caught on with Miami in July and has served as a supporting-caster this season, catching 13 passes for 170 yards in his first year with the Dolphins.

A rebuilding team likely to add at least one key piece at receiver next year, the Dolphins now have Hurns, DeVante Parker, Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant and Preston Williams signed beyond 2019. However, the respective deals for Parker and Wilson open the door to cap space-creating cuts. While the Dolphins do not need to clear cap space, being projected to possess more than $100MM next year, the rebuilding team may opt against employing three receivers with at least six years’ experience in 2020.

Once given an eight-figure-per-year deal as a Jaguar, Hurns has not built on his successful 2015 season. He eclipsed 1,000 yards in 2015 but has not cleared 500 in the three full seasons since. A severe injury ended his Cowboys season in the playoffs, but the former UDFA bounced back to secure a pact with his hometown team. The Miami native and former Miami Hurricane now has a second Dolphins contract, giving him some security in advance of what will be his age-29 season.

Dolphins Activate T Julien Davenport

The Dolphins’ left tackle to start the season, Julien Davenport will have a chance to make another impression on his second NFL team. Miami activated the third-year blocker from IR, Cameron Wolfe of ESPN.com tweets.

Davenport will return to the Dolphins’ active roster, taking offensive lineman Andrew Donnal‘s spot.

Veteran J’Marcus Webb has started in Davenport’s place, but the rebuilding team will likely want to get a look at one of the pieces acquired in the Laremy Tunsil trade. Webb and Jesse Davis have been the Dolphins’ primary tackles this season.

A 2017 fourth-round pick, Davenport started 15 games for an embattled Texans line last season. Davenport suffered a hyperextended knee and a small crack in his tibia in practice sessions before Week 2. The Dolphins have deployed one of the league’s worst offensive lines this season but have won back-to-back games, so Davenport’s reintegration into the starting lineup may not be immediate. Davis, though, has experience at both tackle and guard and could move inside to accommodate the younger blocker’s return.

Dolphins’ Andrew Van Ginkel To Return From IR

The Dolphins have designated rookie linebacker Andrew Van Ginkel to return from injured reserve, according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald (Twitter link). Van Ginkel suffered a foot injury during the preseason that sidelined him until now.

Van Ginkel will become the second and final Miami player designated to return from IR this year, joining offensive tackle Julien Davenport, who was designated for return in late October but hasn’t yet officially returned to practice. Because NFL teams are only allowed to bring two players off injured reserve, other injured Dolphins like cornerback Aqib Talib and defensive end Jeremiah Ledbetter, are officially done for the season.

Van Ginkel, 24, spent the final two years of his collegiate career at Wisconsin after originally playing at both South Dakota and Iowa Western Community College. In his two years as a Badger, Van Ginkel appeared in 26 games, posting 98 tackles, 12 sacks, and two interceptions during that time. In Van Ginkel’s pre-draft profile, NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein said the 6’4″, 234-pounder plays with “consistent energy” but can also be “manhandled” by opposing offensive tackles.

Because he was placed on IR shortly after initial 53-man rosters were set, Van Ginkel has yet to make his NFL debut. When he does, he’ll likely play in a reserve and special teams role behind Dolphins starting outside linebackers Charles Harris and Samuel Eguavoen.

NFL Practice Squad Updates: 11/13/19

Today’s practice squad moves:

Arizona Cardinals

Carolina Panthers

Chicago Bears

Denver Broncos

Indianapolis Colts

Los Angeles Rams

  • Signed: C Nate Trewyn

Miami Dolphins

Minnesota Vikings

Read more

Broncos, Dolphins To Attend Colin Kaepernick Workout

When Colin Kaepernick works out for NFL teams on Saturday in Atlanta, the Dolphins and Broncos will be among the teams in attendance (Twitter links via Ian Rapoport of NFL.com and Mike Klis of 9News). The Cowboys and many other clubs are expected to attend the audition, which is open to all 32 clubs. 

The Dolphins’ interest in Kaepernick makes plenty of sense, given their uncertainty at the quarterback position for 2020 and beyond. It seems unlikely that anything could stop the Dolphins from selecting a quarterback high in the 2020 draft, but Kaep could be an intriguing option to consider.

The Broncos could also use a QB, though their interest in Kaepernick is puzzling, given the history between him and GM John Elway. The Broncos attempted to trade for Kaepernick in 2016, but the deal fell apart when Kaepernick declined the Broncos’ proposed pay cut. When asked about the near deal in 2018, Elway seemed to close the door the former 49ers star.

He had his chance to be here,” Elway said. He passed it.

After that, Kaepernick’s attorney Mark Geragos alleged that Elway violated the gag order issued in Kaepernick‘s collusion case with his comments.

Mr. Elway, clearly he violated the protective order that the NFL has been wielding like a club at me,” Geragos said on his podcast. “And he’s apparently suffering from some real brain trauma.”

Now, in 2019, the Broncos are at least curious enough to send a scout to watch Kaepernick.

AFC East Notes: Gronkowski, Darnold, Folk, Dolphins

It’s no secret that the Patriots have been searching for a weapon to replace the production they received from now retired tight end Rob Gronkowski. Wide receivers Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown both looked like solutions at various points earlier in the season, but neither remain on New England’s roster. However, it appears the team’s owner Robert Kraft still hopes to get Gronkowski back on the field.

When Gronkowski was cleaning out his locker after announcing his retirement in March, Kraft told him the team would remain hopeful that he would return late in the season for another playoff run, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. While it has been known that the organization hoped Gronkowski would change his mind, no one had reported Kraft’s involvement.

Rapoport notes in his story that, according to sources, Gronkowski remains content with his decision, but if he wants to return this season he has to decide soon. The deadline for retired players to return during the season and play is November 30. New England will obviously plan ahead without him, but they surely will be hoping for a change of heart.

Here more from around the AFC East:

  • Kicker Nick Folk has meshed into the Patriots locker room well, according to Mike Reiss of ESPN.com. Folk already knew the man he replaced, Stephen Gostkowski, and offensive lineman Joe Thuney and Ted Karras. All four had been enrolled in some of the same classes as they worked toward master’s degrees in past offseasons. Folk was signed after Gostkowski suffered a torn labrum in his left hip. Reiss also notes that Folk suffered the same injury in 2009 and could offer Gostkowski valuable insight during his recovery.
  • Jets quarterback Sam Darnold is “taking charge” in the locker room, according to Rich Cimini of ESPN.com. After Darnold’s poor performances against both the Jaguars and Patriots, he has become more assertive in meetings with the coaching staff. Cimini reports that Darnold had previously been very deferential to head coach Adam Gase, but now offers feedback and his own opinion more readily.
  • NFL draft experts and scouts were watching this weeks game between LSU and Alabama closely. The Dolphins sent an especially large contingent, which included two scouts and general manager Chris Grier, according to ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter. Miami has long been tied to Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa through the #Tank4Tua trend. However, even if Miami does have the top pick in the draft, some experts are beginning to place LSU’s quarterback Joe Burrow above Tagovailoa. It appears Miami’s top brass got an up-close look at both players on Saturday.

Dolphins Offered Reshad Jones To Steelers Before Minkah Fitzpatrick Trade

The Dolphins were shopping veteran safety Reshad Jones this summer, and the Steelers, who had made it clear to rival teams that they were in the market for secondary help, were an obvious match. As Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports writes, Miami did indeed attempt to deal Jones to Pittsburgh at the start of the season.

However, the Steelers said they preferred Minkah Fitzpatrick, though the Dolphins initially suggested Fitzpatrick was not going to be moved. Of course, Miami quickly changed its stance in that regard and said it would deal Fitzpatrick if a first-rounder was included in the trade.

La Canfora says several teams were willing to meet the Dolphins’ asking price, but Miami chose Pittsburgh’s offer because it believed the Steelers’ 2020 first-rounder would be higher than those of the other suitors. Of course, that may not turn out to be the case, as Fitzpatrick has provided a jolt to the Steelers’ defense and has helped Pittsburgh (4-4) climb back into the AFC playoff picture.

Fitzpatrick was publicly unhappy with the way he was being deployed in Miami, but he and Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin established from the beginning that the Alabama product would be used in a centerfielder role that would highlight his playmaking abilities. And Fitzpatrick has certainly made plays, recording four interceptions in his six games in the Steel City, including a critical pick-six in Pittsburgh’s win over the Colts last week.

Jones, meanwhile, is under contract with the Dolphins through 2022, and while he indicated he is open to staying with Miami through its rebuild, the Fins may choose to cut bait this offseason to save about $5.5MM against the cap, even though they would incur a big dead money charge by doing so.

Show all