Seahawks’ Russell Wilson Reports To OTAs

Seahawks star Russell Wilson will be on hand for the Seahawks’ voluntary offseason team activities (Twitter link via Jake Heaps of 710 ESPN). Wilson has been upset with the team’s inability to build a strong offensive line around him, but it appears that he’s now on the same page with Pete Carroll & Co. 

The Seahawks haven’t exactly overhauled the O-Line, but they did trade for talented right guard Gabe Jackson. They also explored a trade for Julio Jones to give Wilson another weapon alongside D.K. Metcalf and Tyler Lockett, but the Titans beat them to the punch on Sunday. So, while Wilson didn’t get everything he wanted, it seems like he’s willing and ready to stay in Seattle. That’s consistent with what he told newcomer Carlos Dunlap, who re-signed with the team in March.

I did ask him if, obviously, he was going to be with us. Because if I’m coming back, I’m coming back because I see him as my quarterback — and the rest of the team. I want to pick up where we left off,” Dunlap said. “And he told me that he’s with us and that he’s here to stay.”

Wilson is one of less than ten players in the NFL to hold a no-trade clause. With that leverage, he told the Seahawks that he’d be willing to play for the Bears, Raiders, Saints, or Cowboys. Ultimately, nothing came of that — the Seahawks rebuffed every call to keep their franchise QB and avoid a whopping $39MM in dead money on the cap.

Seahawks Not Serious Julio Jones Suitors?

The Seahawks entered the draft with one of the NFL’s best wide receiver tandems, and they added to their Tyler LockettD.K. Metcalf crew by taking D’Wayne Eskridge in the second round. But Seattle surfaced as a Julio Jones suitor last week, joining a few other teams. That pursuit appears to be thinning, however.

Due to a few factors, the Seahawks do not appear to be a top-tier Jones suitor. Their discussions of a potential trade for the All-Pro wideout stemmed more from due diligence than serious interest, Brady Henderson of ESPN.com notes. The past several days have seen this race dwindle to the point it may be a one-on-one showdown — between the 49ers and Titans — though there is always the possibility a stealth team looms.

[RELATED: Rams Out On Julio Jones?]

In addition to having already traded their 2022 first-round pick (in the Jamal Adams swap), the Seahawks are toward the bottom in cap space — at just more than $7MM. For the team to trade for Jones, it would likely need the Falcons to pick up part of his $15.3MM salary, Henderson tweets. Thus far, however, the Falcons have not shown a desire to do so. They remain on the hunt for a first-round pick, though a second-rounder may now be acceptable. While the Seahawks have not been shy about including high picks in trades under their Pete CarrollJohn Schneider regime — as the deals for Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham and Adams have shown — money complicates this situation.

Restructuring Russell Wilson or Bobby Wagner‘s contract would free up cap space for the Seahawks, but the team does not appear eager to go that route. Jones has more than $38MM remaining on his through-2023 contract, but the 32-year-old superstar may well want yet another new deal after being dealt. The Falcons gave its seven-time Pro Bowl pass catcher a wideout-record three-year, $66MM pact in 2019. Atlanta’s new regime views that contract as one that can be moved to help the team’s cap situation.

Both the Rams and Ravens have stepped back on Jones, and it does not sound like the Patriots are eager to part with a key trade chip for the 10-year veteran. Like the Seahawks, each team made big moves at receiver this offseason. In addition to using their top 2021 pick on Eskridge, the Seahawks gave Lockett a four-year, $69MM extension. Jones could work alongside Metcalf and Lockett, with the latter playing in the slot, while Eskridge develops. But at this point, it looks like the Seahawks will sit out the Jones sweepstakes.

Seahawks To Extend P Michael Dickson

The Seahawks are locking down their punter long-term. Michael Dickson agreed to a four-year extension to stay in Seattle on Friday, ESPN.com’s Mark Sanchez tweets.

It is a four-year, $14.5MM add-on for the fourth-year punter, with Mike Garafolo of NFL.com confirming the former quarterback’s report (via Twitter). This will tie Dickson to the Seahawks through the 2025 season. The former fifth-round pick will see $10.6MM in the contract’s first two years.

Performance-based incentives could take the contract north of $4MM per year, Garafolo adds (via Twitter). Rams perennial All-Pro Johnny Hekker resides as the NFL’s highest-paid punter, at $3.75MM per year.

The first of three punters drafted in 2018, Dickson quickly became one of the NFL’s best at the position. The strong-legged Australian earned first-team All-Pro recognition as a rookie and in 2020 averaged a career-high 49.6 yards per punt.

Dickson became the rare specialist to leave for the draft after his junior season, doing so after winning the Ray Guy Award in 2017 and finishing as the Big 12’s special teams player of the year as a sophomore. He now looks like the Seahawks’ long-term successor to Jon Ryan, who held this gig from 2006-2017.

Richard Sherman May Wait Until Training Camp To Sign

It’s been quiet on the Richard Sherman front, but there might be a reason why. Ralph Vacchiano of SNY.tv writes that many around the NFL believe the veteran is going to “wait out training camp” to sign with a contender.

This isn’t a shocking move, and we’ve seen plenty of veterans take this route over the years. By waiting a bit for his next contract, Sherman isn’t only getting some extra rest as he enters his age-33 season. Rather, the five-time Pro Bowler can also wait to see if an alluring opportunity appears following injuries and roster cuts. Either way, he’ll get more time to evaluate his potential suitors.

Sherman has been a popular name this offseason. We most recently heard that he was in talks with the 49ers, where he had spent the past three years. Sherman has also had talks with the Seahawks, the team that he spent the first seven seasons of his career with, and he’s generated interest from the Raiders and Saints. The Jets have continually been mentioned as a potential suitor thanks to the presence of head coach Robert Saleh, who spent time with Sherman both in Seattle and San Francisco.

The Stanford product was limited to only five games this past year and recently turned 33, but he was still a second-team All-Pro in 2019. He’ll be an interesting gamble for a team, as he’s past his prime and coming off an injury-plagued year, but also played at a very high level not too long ago. The veteran has indicated that he’d like to play two more years.

Door Open For K.J. Wright Seahawks Return?

K.J. Wright entered last season as the Seahawks’ longest-tenured player, but the team’s first-round Jordyn Brooks selection clouded Wright’s Seattle future. The 10-year veteran remains a free agent nearly three months since the 2021 league year began.

Probably the top off-ball linebacker still available, the veteran defender has seen some doors close in free agency. While it should be expected Wright will receive a chance before or during training camp, Pete Carroll indicated the accomplished outside linebacker could still be an option for the Seahawks, via John Boyle of Seahawks.com.

Although Carroll said the team is still finetuning its roster, the 12th-year Seahawks HC cautioned no signing should be expected to take place at least until the team goes through minicamp. Teams annually turn to the free agent market between minicamp and training camp, after viewing roster deficiencies during the offseason program. Wright would stand to help many teams, with Pro Football Focus slotting him as a top-10 off-ball ‘backer in 2020.

Wright, 32, said prior to free agency’s outset he would welcome the opportunity to finish his career in Seattle but added he was not prepared to take a hometown discount. At this point in the offseason, however, Wright will probably have to bring down his asking price. The news of the 2022 cap ceiling being $208MM should serve as a bonus for vets hoping to cash in, but teams have used most of their 2021 budgets by June. The Seahawks are also not expected to spend much between now and training camp. It may take a key injury for Wright to cash in on the level he did two years ago (two years, $14MM), and even that scenario likely will not produce a contract worth that much.

The sides have agreed to three contracts — Wright’s rookie deal, a four-year extension in 2014 and the most recent deal at the start of the 2019 free agency period — but the Brooks pick gave the team both the NFL’s highest-paid off-ball ‘backer (Bobby Wagner) and a first-round investment in the position. The Seahawks do not appear to be the most likely destination for Wright.

Seahawks Interested In Julio Jones

Add another team to the Julio Jones sweepstakes. This morning, we learned that the Rams and Titans have discussed a Jones trade with the Falcons, with Tennessee being viewed as the likeliest landing spot. But as Dianna Russini of ESPN.com reports (via Twitter), the Seahawks have also talked trade with Atlanta. Russini adds that Seattle QB Russell Wilson and Jones have spoken about the possibility of playing together.

Earlier this year, Wilson was the subject of his own trade speculation, and one of the catalysts of those rumors was Wilson’s public dissatisfaction with his offensive line. The club acquired talented RG Gabe Jackson via trade but otherwise didn’t do a ton to supplement Wilson’s cadre of blockers. However, adding Jones to a WR corps that already includes D.K. Metcalf and Tyler Lockett would probably make Wilson pretty happy, especially if new OC Shane Waldron implements a pass-heavy game plan.

Like several of Jones’ other suitors, the Seahawks do not possess a 2022 first-round choice. But most reporters are skeptical that the Falcons will actually get that type of value in a Jones trade, and it seems that a 2022 second-round pick is the more likely compensation. Seattle only had three selections in this year’s draft, which is reflective of the club’s willingness to move draft capital in exchange for proven talent, though if it were to deal its 2022 second-rounder, it would have to wait until Round 3 to pick its first collegiate player next year.

Plus, the ‘Hawks did select deep threat D’Wayne Eskridge in the second round of this year’s draft, and the team would need to create significant cap space to facilitate a Jones acquisition. So there are hurdles to be cleared if the Seahawks are serious about making a run at Jones, but it appears to be in the realm of possibility.

Meanwhile, reiterating his report from yesterday, Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com says the division-rival 49ers are still a team to keep an eye on, and that the Ravens would be willing to get involved if the price is right (Twitter link).

Jaguars To Hire Nick Sorensen As Special Teams Coordinator

The Jaguars’ special teams coordinator search is expected to end with a familiar name. Former Jags special-teamer Nick Sorensen is on track to take over in this role, Tom Pelissero of NFL.com tweets.

A former 10-year NFL veteran, Sorensen played for the Jaguars for four seasons in the 2000s. Sorensen, 42, has spent the past eight seasons as a defensive and special teams assistant in Seattle, where he was on staff with previous Jags ST coordinator Brian Schneider.

Jacksonville needed to make this unusual mid-offseason coordinator hire after Schneider stepped down from his new post for personal reasons earlier last week. This marked the second straight year Schneider left a job; he vacated his 10-year post as Seahawks ST coordinator for personal reasons in 2020 but opted to join Urban Meyer‘s staff in Jacksonville. Now, one of Schneider’s former Seahawk coworkers will land the gig.

With the Jags from 2003-06, Sorensen served as a special teams captain before moving into coaching during the 2010s. Sorensen’s first Seahawks season doubled as the franchise’s Super Bowl-winning slate. The Jags, who have Carlos Polk in place as their assistant special teams coach, also interviewed former Lions ST coordinator Brayden Coombs for the job.

Minor NFL Transactions: 5/26/21

Here are Wednesday’s minor moves:

Buffalo Bills

Carolina Panthers

Cincinnati Bengals

Green Bay Packers

Los Angeles Rams

Seattle Seahawks

Tennessee Titans

  • Signed: OL Christian DiLauro

Trent Brown, Gabe Jackson Declined Raiders Pay Cuts

The Raiders made major changes on their offensive line this offseason, jettisoning two Pro Bowlers and their longest-tenured starter. Two or three first-year starters are expected to block for Derek Carr this season.

Prior to the Raiders separating from Rodney Hudson, Trent Brown and Gabe Jackson, the team offered the latter duo pay cuts in order to stay, Vic Tafur of The Athletic notes (subscription required). It is not known how substantial the proposed cuts were, but both Brown and Jackson declined the Raiders’ offers.

After reports surfaced Jackson would be cut, the Raiders found an 11th-hour trade partner and sent the seven-year guard starter to the Seahawks for a fifth-round pick. That pick (No. 167) became Illinois cornerback Nate Hobbs. The Raiders dealt Brown to the Patriots for a fifth as well; Las Vegas also sent New England a seventh-rounder in that swap. Both players have since reworked their contracts.

The Raiders gave Jackson a five-year, $56MM extension in June 2017; two non-guaranteed years remained on that deal. The Seahawks and Jackson have since agreed to a three-year, $22.58MM extension, which came with $16MM in total guarantees and $10.75MM fully guaranteed.

Given a then-tackle-record four-year, $66MM deal in March 2019, Brown battled injuries and COVID-19 last season. He made the Pro Bowl in 2019, however. Signing up for a second Brown stint, the Pats have the mammoth tackle under contract at $9MM for the 2021 season. He is due for free agency again in 2022. Brown did end up agreeing to a pay cut in New England, though incentives can take the pact up to $11MM.

Las Vegas has since drafted Alex Leatherwood in Round 1; he will be projected to take over for Brown at right tackle. Richie Incognito, who did agree to return at a reduced rate, and Denzelle Good are back in the fold at guard. John Simpson, a 2020 fourth-round pick, is also set to vie for Jackson’s old right guard spot as well. Andre James, who has since signed an extension himself, may well succeed Hudson at center.

Minor NFL Transactions: 5/25/21

We’ll keep tabs on today’s minor moves here:

Arizona Cardinals

Las Vegas Raiders

  • Waived: Kamaal Seymour

Philadelphia Eagles

Seattle Seahawks

  • Signed: TE Cam Sutton

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Show all