Oregon head coach Mark Helfrich sees his star quarterback Marcus Mariota stealing the show at this year’s scouting combine, writes NFL.com’s Bryan Fischer. “He’s a competitive perfectionist. Every single thing he does, he wants to do great,” Helfrich said. “He competes in period four just like he does in a BCS bowl game. To him, (the combine) is right in his wheelhouse, and he’ll do great.” Helfrich might be a bit biased, but Mariota is widely projected to be a top choice in the 2015 Draft. More NFL news..
- A judge has ruled that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will be forced to testify at the Ray Rice hearing, a source tells Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (on Twitter). The ruling was expected by many since Goodell played an active role in all facets of Rice’s suspension.
- A prosecution request to remove the judge handling the felony child abuse case against Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has been denied, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (on Twitter). The judge made some less-than-kind remarks about Peterson’s defense team earlier this month. As Rochelle Olson of the Star-Tribune writes, the trial is still on track for December 1st.
- Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy hasn’t showed up at Bank of America Stadium since being placed on the commissioner’s exempt list, but that’s not because he’s not welcome, as David Newton of ESPN.com writes. “We haven’t asked him to stay away,” coach Ron Rivera said. “At the same time, we’re letting him take care of his business.”
- Former Seahawks wide receiver Sidney Rice thinks Seattle made the right move by trading Percy Harvin, writes Terry Blount of ESPN.com. “I was surprised, but at the same time, it may have been the best thing for the team,” Rice said. “It’s tough losing a guy like Percy. He’s one of a kind. The league has never seen a player like Percy Harvin.”
- The Rams auditioned wide receivers Skye Dawson and Derek Moye yesterday, tweets Howard Balzer of USA Today Sports. Dawson, who was cut by the Bucs in late August, worked out for the Lions last week. Moye, meanwhile, was scooped up by the Titans earlier today.