Wednesday NFL Transactions: AFC South

Following the 53-man roster cutdown deadline Tuesday, many teams will make slight tweaks to their rosters. In addition to waiver claims, teams can begin constructing their 16-man practice squads today. These ColtsJaguarsTexans and Titans moves are noted below.

Houston Texans

Signed to practice squad:

Indianapolis Colts

Claimed:

Signed to practice squad:

Jacksonville Jaguars

Signed to practice squad:

Tennessee Titans

Claimed:

Waived:

Released:

Signed to practice squad:

Colts Will Not Trade QB Anthony Richardson

Anthony Richardson lost out to Daniel Jones in the Colts’ quarterback competition this summer, but he is still in the team’s plans for at least the time being. General manager Chris Ballard made it clear on Wednesday no Richardson trade is being considered at this time.

“I know the negativity and it’s easy to say, okay, he’s done,” Ballard said of the 2023 No. 4 pick (via the team’s website). “And I don’t agree — I’ve said this numerous times — I do not agree with that. I’m proud of Anthony, of where he’s at, how far he’s come. He’s come miles… And there’s a lot of value in sitting behind a guy that’s a professional and watching and learning and growing and working on the things you need to work on without the same pressure of being the starter.”

Richardson played just four games as a rookie before undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery. The 23-year-old struggled when healthy last year, and at times he was benched in favor of backup Joe Flacco. Indianapolis prioritized adding a veteran signal-caller this offseason, and Jones departed Minnesota knowing a starting gig would be on offer. The former Giant (added on a one-year pact including over $13MM guaranteed) will look to offer stability under center in contrast to Richardson’s inconsistent showings – which, to date, have not been enough to end his Indianapolis tenure.

“There’s examples of guys that have had rough starts to their careers and have absolutely bounced back and had good careers,” Ballard added. “And there’s examples of guys who’ve been benched who come back and play.”

After Richardson completed just 47.7% of his passes and threw more interceptions (12) than touchdowns (eight), any trade undertaken at this point would contain little in the way of value coming back to the Colts. The Florida product has demonstrated his rushing upside when on the field, but that alone would not entice much in the way of attractive offers from suitors.

After this season, a decision will need to be made on Richardson’s 2027 fifth-year option. It is on track to be declined at this point, something which would point further to an Indianapolis departure being likely. For now, though, the Colts are in position to keep him in the fold.

Wednesday NFL Transactions: AFC East

Following the 53-man roster cutdown deadline Tuesday, many teams will make slight tweaks to their rosters. In addition to waiver claims, teams can begin constructing their 16-man practice squads today. These BillsDolphinsJets and Patriots moves are noted below.

Buffalo Bills

Signed to practice squad:

Released from IR via injury settlement:

Miami Dolphins

Waived:

  • S Jordan Colbert

Signed to practice squad:

New England Patriots

Claimed:

Waived: 

Signed to practice squad:

New York Jets

Claimed:

Released:

Signed to practice squad:

2025 NFL Waiver Order

Many of the players cut Tuesday were subject to waivers, giving teams a chance to pick them up (along with the rest of their contract). Teams can claim as many players as they want before the next team gets their remaining targets.

It’s also worth noting that relatively few players are claimed off waivers during final roster cuts each year. Waiver claims will be processed at 11am CT in the following order (via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo). In reverse order of the 2024 NFL standings, here is how the waiver priority sits:

  1. Titans
  2. Browns
  3. Giants
  4. Patriots
  5. Jaguars
  6. Raiders
  7. Jets
  8. Panthers
  9. Saints
  10. Bears
  11. 49ers
  12. Cowboys
  13. Dolphins
  14. Colts
  15. Falcons
  16. Cardinals
  17. Bengals
  18. Seahawks
  19. Buccaneers
  20. Broncos
  21. Steelers
  22. Chargers
  23. Packers
  24. Vikings
  25. Texans
  26. Rams
  27. Ravens
  28. Lions
  29. Commanders
  30. Bills
  31. Chiefs
  32. Eagles

Colts Place LB Jaylon Carlies On IR, Set 53-Man Roster

The Colts have cut down their roster to 53 players. The team announced the following moves:

Released:

Waived:

Waived/injured:

  • K Maddux Trujillo

Placed on IR (designated for return):

Jaylon Carlies will be forced to miss at least the first four games of the upcoming season, but it sounds like it should be a minimum stay on IR for the linebacker. According to Joel A. Erickson of the Indy Star, Carlies should only require a short stint on injured reserve as he recovers from an ankle injury. The 2024 fifth-round pick started six of his 10 appearances for the Colts last season, collecting 36 tackles and one sack.

While he’s not the biggest name from the list of cuts, linebacker Austin Ajiake was waived in a bit of a surprising move. As Erickson notes, the former UDFA spent significant time with the second-team unit during the preseason, and he even got some reps with the first team. A UNLV product, Ajiake has also had stints with the Broncos, Raiders, and Packers. He spent the entire 2024 campaign on Indy’s taxi squad.

Colts To Host CB Mike Hilton

Mike Hilton found himself amongst the Dolphins’ roster cuts yesterday. A long stay on the open market may not be needed this time, however.

Hilton has lined up a visit with the Colts for tomorrow, NFL insider Jordan Schultz reports. A workout in Indianapolis will take place, and a deal could be struck shortly thereafter. Per Schultz, a mutual interest exists for an agreement in this case.

It would come as little surprise if Hilton were to wind up with the Colts. He has four years of experience working with Lou Anarumo dating back to their time together in Cincinnati. Anarumo was the Bengals’ defensive coordinator during that span, and he is now at the helm of the Colts’ defense.

Injuries in the secondary have been an issue for Indianapolis this offseason, so the prospect of additions well into the summer has been consistent. Xavien Howard is set to return to the NFL after sitting out the 2024 campaign. He too is a familiar face to Anarumo. As an illustration of the team’s uncertain situation at the CB spot, Howard could step into a starting role despite only signing last week.

Hilton, on the other hand, would not be expected to handle a first-team role if he joined the team. The 31-year-old has operated in the slot for much of his career, but the Colts already have Kenny Moore to handle those duties. Hilton could serve as a veteran backup option, though, as a veteran of 123 games. Hilton is free to sign at any time, and it will be interesting to see how tomorrow’s workout goes. It could produce an agreement on the active roster of Indianapolis’ initial practice squad.

Vikings Trade CB Mekhi Blackmon To Colts

The Vikings are trading cornerback Mekhi Blackmon to the Colts in exchange for a 2026 sixth-round pick, per NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.

Blackmon, a 2023 third-round pick, carved out a role as Minnesota’s third cornerback as a rookie with 435 defensive snaps across 15 games. That seemed like an indicator that he would compete for a starting role during his second training camp, but the 26-year-old suffered a torn ACL in July missed all of the 2024 season.

Blackmon completed his recovery this offseason without issue and started the Vikings’ last two preseason games. However, that may have been an attempt to showcase the third-year corner to other teams, as ESPN’s Kevin Seifert reports that Blackmon “seemed stuck with the third team on a depth chart that isn’t exactly loaded with cornerbacks.” As a result, Minnesota opted to move forward with a veteran trio of Byron Murphy, Isaiah Rodgers, and Jeff Okudah and recoup some draft capital for Blackmon.

Enter the Colts, who made yet another addition to their secondary this offseason after signing Charvarius Ward, Camryn Bynum, and most recently, Xavien Howard. All three are listed as starters on the team’s unofficial depth chart along with two incubments: nickel Kenny Moore and safety Nick Cross. Upon arriving in Indianapolis, Blackmon will join fellow 2023 draftees Jaylon Jones and JuJu Brents in the cornerback room and provide depth on the boundary.

This is the third trade the Vikings have made in the last week as general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah uses the team’s surplus talent to upgrade its draft capital. Along with deals to send Sam Howell to the Eagles and Harrison Phillips to the Jets, he has now collected four new picks – fifth- and sixth-rounders in 2026 and sixth- and seventh-rounders in 2027 – while also giving up 2026 sixth-round and 2027 seventh-round picks. Though that’s only a net gain of two Day 3 draft picks, teams always want to squeeze every bit of value out of departing players, and the extra picks could help Adofo-Mensah wheel and deal in the future.

Colts’ Xavien Howard Turned Aside 2024 Offers; CB On Track For Starting Role?

Xavien Howard‘s time outside the NFL came to an end this week when he joined the Colts. The 2024 campaign came and went without a deal in his case, but that was not due to a lack of interest.

“I did have opportunities, I just feel like it wasn’t the right situation for me,” the former All-Pro corner said when reflecting on how last year played out (via the team’s website). “So I gave it a shot, I’m like OK, I just can wait [until] next year and hopefully something will happen, and something ended up happening.”

Howard, 32, was released by the Dolphins last spring, ending his eight-year Miami tenure. Few suitors emerged during his free agent tenure, although a midseason visit with the Bengals took place. No deal was worked out, but the visit allowed Howard and then-defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo to reconnect. Anarumo is now in charge of the Colts’ defense, so it came as little surprise when Indianapolis became Howard’s eventual 2025 destination.

The four-time Pro Bowler has twice led the league in interceptions during a season, and he has amassed 29 over the course of his career. Howard’s playmaking dried up toward the end of his Dolphins tenure with just one pick in each of the 2022 and ’23 campaigns, although he totaled 24 pass deflections over that span. A return to form after a lengthy absence would be welcomed in Howard’s case since it would help his free agent prospects next spring; it may also wind up being necessary from the team’s perspective.

The Colts’ depth chart for their final preseason contest lists Howard as a starter at the cornerback position. Free agent signing Charvarius Ward is locked into one first-team spot on the perimeter, while returnee Kenny Moore will again be counted on as a key figure in the slot. Indianapolis has already been hit hard by injuries in the secondary, however, leaving the door open to Howard earning a starting gig in short order. Veterans added in August rarely take on more than a depth role with their new teams, but an exception could be in store in this case.

Colts Name Daniel Jones Starting QB

Daniel Jones is set to begin the campaign atop the Colts’ depth chart. Jones has won out the team’s quarterback competition, as first reported by NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero. The news is now official.

Pelissero adds head coach Shane Steichen informed Jones and Anthony Richardson of the decision Tuesday morning. A call was expected in the near future, and one has indeed been made. Jones, a free agent addition, will serve as QB1 to begin the regular season while Richardson will operate as the backup.

[RELATED: Richardson’s Agent Fires Back At Colts]

Signs have pointed in this direction throughout the offseason, one in which Richardson has aimed to establish himself as Indianapolis’ passer of the present and future. Today’s news obviously marks a notable setback for the No. 4 pick in 2023’s draft. Richardson has battled injuries and inconsistency in the NFL, including missed time this spring and a dislocated finger suffered in the preseason opener.

When speaking publicly on the matter, Steichen has offered praise regarding Jones’ experience and his command of the Colts’ offense during practice and games. That helped lead to the expectation the former Giants top-1o selection would get the nod for 2025. With that said, NFL insider Jordan Schultz reports the Jones-Richardson competition was viewed as being “very close.”

Jones was retained via a four-year, $160MM contract in 2023, with the Giants inking him to the pact in time to apply the franchise tag on running back Saquon Barkley. Barkley departed on the open market last spring and enjoyed a record-breaking debut season with the Eagles. Jones, on the other hand, was unable to take a step forward in his fifth season as New York’s starter before ultimately being benched and then released.

A brief Vikings tenure did not result in playing time down the stretch. Jones, like Sam Darnold, departed Minnesota on the open market in search of a starting position with the team positioned to hand the reins over to J.J. McCarthy. Jones secured $13.15MM guaranteed on his one-year Colts contract, a strong indication he would have a path to the starting gig. As of June, the 28-year-old held a “significant” lead over Richardson.

Time with the starting offense was split in training camp, with Richardson managing to return to full health after his latest shoulder injury was suffered earlier in the offseason. The Florida product has played just 15 games in the regular season to date, and he was benched partway through last year. A decision will need to be made on the fifth-year option for Richardson, 23, after the coming campaign. This move certainly suggests it will be declined.

Steichen said on Tuesday (via Mike Chappell of Fox59) Jones is viewed as the starter for the entire 2025 season. A strong campaign would help his free agent value considerably, and finding success with Indy’s offense would no doubt serve as a benefit to Steichen and general manager Chris Ballard‘s job security. As the Colts look to end a four-year playoff drought, they will rely on Jones for what should be a lengthy period. In the event of an injury or poor play, though, attention will turn to the possibility of Richardson taking over.

Anthony Richardson’s Agent: Trust In Colts Is “Questionable”

Following news that Daniel Jones earned the Colts starting quarterback gig, Anthony Richardson‘s camp is starting to question his future in Indy. While speaking with ESPN’s Stephen Holder, agent Deiric Jackson expressed disappointment at the decision and hinted that his client may be looking to play elsewhere.

[RELATED: Colts Name Daniel Jones Starting QB]

“Trust is a big factor and that is, at best, questionable right now,” Jackson told Holder. “Anthony came back and made the improvements in the areas he needed to improve. And by all accounts, he had a great camp.”

While the agent didn’t explicitly mention a trade request, he did question the credibility of the organization and head coach Shane Steichen. Jackson wondered if the Colts had already made their QB decision when they handed Jones a one-year, $14MM contract back in March.

The agent also cited the team’s handling of the former fourth-overall pick during the 2024 campaign. While Richardson missed six total games last season, he was clearly benched for a pair of contests, with Steichen calling out his quarterback’s lack of preparation. Richardson was quickly inserted back into the starting lineup, but it was clear the organization wasn’t fully convinced of the player’s standing as a franchise QB.

Jackson hasn’t been the only one observing Richardson’s offseason improvements, as coaches have also lauded the player’s development since last season. The organization has also continued to state that Richardson remains in the team’s future plans, regardless of the outcome of their QB battle.

For what it’s worth, Richardson continues to say the right things, with the quarterback saying there were no “hard feelings” regarding the decision.

“[Steichen] made a decision,” he told Holder. “That’s the decision we’ve got to live with, but no hard feelings, nothing personal. I’ve just got to keep growing. I just can’t let me not being a starter stop me from going and being the person, the player that I’m supposed to be.”

Richardson is a respectable 8-7 in 15 career starts, and he’s collected 635 rushing yards and 10 rushing touchdowns. On the flip side, he’s only completed 50.6 percent of his passes, and he’s tossed 11 touchdowns vs. 13 interceptions. Jones didn’t establish himself as a winning QB during his time with the Giants, so there’s a chance the Colts eventually pivot to Richardson in 2025. Still, that might not be enough to repair the apparent broken relationship between the two sides.

Show all