Here are Friday’s minor moves:
- Promoted from practice squad: WR Malachi Dupre, DT Pasoni Tasini
- Waived: CB Leonard Johnson, CB Deatrick Nichols
- Promoted from practice squad: G Dorian Johnson
- Placed on IR: RB Kenjon Barner
- Promoted from practice squad: WR Blake Jackson
- Placed on IR: LB Tanner Vallejo
- Waived: S Rolan Milligan
- Promoted from practice squad: RB Dimitri Flowers, QB Tanner Lee
- Activated from IR: LB Donald Payne
- Placed on IR: K Josh Lambo, T Josh Wells
- Waived: LB Martrell Spaight
- Placed on IR: WR Maurice Harris
Derek Newton is back with the Saints. On Thursday, the Saints re-signed the offensive tackle, along with fellow OT Cornelius Lucas. To make room, the club cut defensive back Josh Robinson and defensive lineman Mitchell Loewen.
The Saints signed Newton to a two-year deal in early December, even though he had not played since October 2016, then released him a few weeks later. The Saints needed healthy bodies up front due to a recent rash of injuries last week, but they’re now able to accommodate him on the roster.
A 2011 seventh-round pick out of Arkansas State, Newton was the Texans’ starting right tackle from 2012’s first game until that career-altering night in Denver when Newton shredded both of his knees. The Texans waived Newton via failed physical designation in April, and he filed a $500K grievance. This year, Newton worked out for the Jets, Cardinals, and Saints and showed enough in New Orleans to warrant an opportunity.
The Saints kept Newton on speed dial, and he now has a chance to contribute to a contender.
Today’s minor moves:
- Signed: LB Philip Wheeler
- Signed off Ravens‘ practice squad: CB Reggie Porter
Los Angeles Chargers
- Placed on NFI: OL Chris Hairston
- Signed off Titans‘ practice squad: OL Tyler Marz
New Orleans Saints
The NFL saw quite a few minor moves today, and we’ll round them up here:
- The Browns announced the signing of third-round offensive tackle Shon Coleman. Coleman, selected with the No. 76 overall pick, was a two-year starter at Auburn. Cleveland have now signed 11 of their 14 rookies from this year’s enormous class.
- The Chiefs announced that they have signed outside linebacker Dezman Moses and safety Peni Vea. To make room, Kansas City has waived defensive back Keith Lewis and linebacker Efe Obada. Moses, a key special-teamer, has appeared in 29 games over the past two seasons for the Chiefs.
- The Steelers waived former University of Miami linebacker Tyriq McCord, Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times tweets. McCord initially joined Pittsburgh as an undrafted free agent. The Steelers also signed TE Paul Lang and LB Kevin Anderson while releasing tight end Jay Rome, reports Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (Twitter link)
- The Falcons announced that they have signed defensive end Nordly Capi and guard Michael Huey, as Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com writes. Atlanta also waived defensive end Josh Dawson. Huey, who spent time with an Diego and Green Bay last season, played for the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League and was a three-time AFL champ.
- The Cardinals signed wide receiver Rico Richardson and waived fellow receiver Jeff Beathard, as Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com tweets.
- The Saints waived LB Dominique Tovell, who signed with the team as a UDFA in May, according to Evan Woodbery of NOLA.com (Twitter link). New Orleans also placed defensive end Mitchell Loewen on the Reserve/NFI list today after he cleared waivers, Woodbery tweets.
- The Lions announced they’ve signed wide receiver Damian Copeland and cut guard Andrew Zeller, Dave Birkett of The Detroit Press tweets.
- Colts guard Isiah Cage reverted to the IR after being waived-injured and clearing waivers, according to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle (Twitter link).
Today’s minor moves:
- The Titans waived wide receiver Nick Harwell and waived/injured linebacker Yannik Cudjoe-Virgil, Terry McCormick of TitanInsider.com tweets, adding that Cudjoe-Virgil could revert to injured reserve if he clears waivers.
- The Colts signed tackle Mitchell Van Dyk and waived/injured guard Isiah Cage, Mike Chappell of CBS4 tweets.
- The Cardinals signed wide receiver Rico Richardson, according to Aaron Wilson of The Houston Chronicle (Twitter link). The former Jackson State player previously spent time with Tennessee.
- The Raiders signed former University of Washington receiver Marvin Hall, as Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times tweets. Hall had been a tryout player at Oakland’s rookie mini-camp last month.
- The Saints cut former Arkansas tight end Mitchell Loewen with a non-football injury designation and signed former Air Force tight end Garrett Griffin, reports Wilson (Twitter links).
- After being cut by the 49ers a month ago today, quarterback Dylan Thompson has signed with the Rams, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (Twitter link), who notes that Los Angeles could be stockpiling arms in anticipation of trading or releasing Nick Foles.
The Saints have announced the signing of 19 undrafted rookie free agents. The full list of Saints UDFAs is below:
- OL Jack Allen
- DB Mike Caputo
- OL Joseph Cheek
- DB Ken Crawley
- WR Jared Dangerfield
- DB Trae Elston
- DB De’Vante Harris
- OL Marcus Henry
- RB Sione Houma
- LB Dillon Lee
- WR Tommylee Lewis
- RB Mitchell Loewen
- OL Ryker Mathews
- RB D.J. Pettway
- LB Jeff Schoettmer
- LB Dominique Tovell
- OL Landon Turner
- WR Jordan Williams-Lambert
- OL Avery Young