Minor NFL Transactions: 8/23/21

We’ll keep track of today’s minor moves here. Teams have until 4pm ET/3pm CT Tuesday to reach the 80-man roster limit.

Arizona Cardinals

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Chicago Bears

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Dallas Cowboys

Denver Broncos

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Houston Texans

Indianapolis Colts 

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Rams

Minnesota Vikings

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

Seattle Seahawks

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

  • Signed: OT Jonathan Hubbard
  • Released from IR via injury settlement: Sam Renner

Tennessee Titans

Seahawks Host DT Geno Atkins

The Seahawks are meeting with free agent Geno Atkins (Twitter link via NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport). Now fully cleared from rotator cuff surgery, the defensive tackle offers lots of upside for Seattle.

Atkins went through a successful workout, veteran NFL reporter Josina Anderson tweets, adding that the Seahawks are interested in adding him. The ball is now in Atkins’ court. It likely will come down to how low of a salary the 33-year-old interior D-lineman is willing to accept after the Bengals removed his four-year, $63.5MM extension from their payroll.

Atkins was limited to just eight games in total last year. But, even when he was healthy, the Bengals weren’t giving him a ton of playing time. His final tally: zero sacks and zero starts. It was a sharp drop from his pre-extension season in 2017, when he finished out as Pro Football Focus’ No. 2 ranked interior defender.

Before all of that, he was a perennial Pro Bowler with 75.5 career sacks. At this stage of the offseason, contenders like the Seahawks can probably add him on a low-cost one-year deal – perhaps with a couple million in incentives. The Seahawks would give Atkins a chance to reclaim his value, pursue a Super Bowl ring, and reunite with old pal Carlos Dunlap. Dunlap arrived via trade last season, notched five sacks, and re-upped on a two-year, $13.6MM deal.

If signed, Dunlap will join Kerry Hyder, Benson Mayowa, Al Woods, and Robert Nkemdiche in the Seahawks’ remodeled front seven.

Luke Willson To Visit Seahawks

Luke Willson could be headed back to Seattle once again. The veteran tight end will visit the Seahawks later this week, a source told Ian Rapoport of NFL Network (Twitter link).

The Rice product, originally drafted by the Seahawks in the fifth-round in 2013, has already had three separate stints with the team. He spent his first five pro seasons with the team before signing with Detroit in 2018. After a season with the Lions he was with the Raiders for a bit, then cut and scooped back up by the Seahawks. Seattle cut him in November of 2020, he then signed with the Ravens, and was cut by Baltimore about a month later.

That led him back to the Seahawks one final time, and he finished the year on the roster. This is the first we’ve heard of the 31-year-old this offseason. Willson’s most productive season as a receiver came in 2014, when he had 22 catches for 362 yards and three touchdowns.

He’s been more of a blocker in recent years, and if he signs once again he likely won’t be counted on to play too big of a role on offense. Seattle currently has ex-Ram Gerald Everett and Will Dissly atop the depth chart at tight end.

Seahawks’ Ben Burr-Kirven Done For Year

Seahawks linebacker Ben Burr-Kirven has suffered a torn ACL (Twitter link via NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport). It’s a tough blow for the former fifth-rounder, who was in the midst of a solid camp. 

Burr-Kirven went down during the opening kickoff of the Seahawks’ 30-3 loss to the Broncos on Saturday night. His Monday morning MRI confirmed the team’s fears — a serious knee injury that will force him to spend 2021 rehabbing.

Both those guys got hurt seriously,’’ said head coach Pete Carroll, referring to Burr-Kirven and receiver John Ursua. “And it breaks your heart. This is a rough game and sometimes it takes a toll. Those two kids are hurting, so we’ll see what happens with them. But it’s going to be a while.’’

Like Ursua, Burr-Kirven will be placed on injured reserve. The Seahawks may need to find outside help to replace the ‘backer — Cody Barton stands as the only other reserve ILB with experience. Otherwise, the Seahawks may need to rely on fullback Nick Bellore to work at his original position. Fortunately, there are some quality options still available, including old pal K.J. Wright.

Minor NFL Transactions: 8/22/21

Here are today’s minor moves. All teams must reduce their roster size to 80 players by 4pm ET on Tuesday, August 24.

Chicago Bears

Cincinnati Bengals

Minnesota Vikings

Philadelphia Eagles

Seattle Seahawks

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Latest On Aldon Smith's Seattle Exit

After starting 16 games for the Cowboys last season, Aldon Smith has seen his career veer off track again. The Seahawks cut the talented edge defender last week, and Brady Henderson of ESPN.com notes the team did not do so because of Smith’s on-field work. This was a non-football-related exit for Smith, whom Pete Carroll said (via the Tacoma News Tribune’s Greg Bell; video link) “couldn’t hang with” the Seahawks despite the team giving the suspension risk a “real shot.” The Seahawks signed Smith in April, but shortly after that agreement, the 32-year-old pass rusher was booked on a battery charge. He also was not in good enough shape to participate in Seattle’s June minicamp, raising more red flags about his 2021 viability. Smith was out of football from 2016-19, but Roger Goodell greenlit his reinstatement last year. Smith recorded five sacks and returned a fumble for a touchdown with Dallas.

Latest On Jamal Adams’ Seahawks Deal

More than 18 months after becoming eligible for an extension, Jamal Adams finally signed one. After initially balking at the Seahawks’ four-year, $70MM offer, the All-Pro safety agreed to terms and began practicing for the first time since January.

Adams’ $17.5MM-per-year deal both makes him the NFL’s highest-paid safety by more than $2MM annually and keeps Bobby Wagner as Seattle’s highest-paid defensive player, which the team wanted. More information has come out on Adams’ extension, which ended months-long negotiations and stopped this saga from heading toward a franchise tag.

The Seahawks threatened to rescind their offer to Adams if he did not take it now, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports. While the team did not threaten discipline for Adams holding in and skipping drills, some hardball took place. But the historically effective blitzer has his long-term deal, with Florio adding some unspecified “cosmetics” are also included, and is signed through 2025.

After news of the 25-year-old defender’s brief stalemate surfaced, a conversation with his mother late Monday night appears to have accelerated his timetable.

I wasn’t not going to take the contract,” Adams said, via PFT’s Charean Williams. “Where I’m from, we’re definitely taking that, man. Mom called. She called twice, and when mom called, and she told me I needed to take the contract. It was a no-brainer. Mama knows best.”

Adams’ extension includes just $21MM guaranteed at signing, but that figure bumps up to $35.44MM five days after Super Bowl LVI, according to CBS Sports’ Jonathan Jones (Twitter links). With the Seahawks almost certainly not bailing on this contract by then, Adams’ effective full guarantee leads all safeties.

While the safety market hit an interesting lull in 2018, a bevy of deals in the $14MM AAV neighborhood from 2019-20 restored it. Justin Simmons‘ second franchise tag led to the Broncos Pro Bowl defender moving the market north of $15MM on average earlier this year, and Adams has taken it to a new place. The Seahawks can now move on to their Duane Brown issue, though the team does not exactly want to hand its soon-to-be 36-year-old left tackle a new contract this year.

Seahawks, Jamal Adams Agree To Deal

The Seahawks and Jamal Adams have agreed to terms on a four-year, $70MM deal (Twitter link via NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport). The contract makes Adams the NFL’s highest-paid safety on a per-year basis with $38MM in guarantees. 

The Seahawks traded for Adams last summer, sending two first-round picks, a third-round pick, and fellow safety Bradley McDougald to the Jets. The deal brought them a fourth-round pick in addition to one of the game’s most exciting young talents.

Adams – who won’t turn 26 until October – has been a certified star since his rookie season. Between 2018 and 2019, only Vikings standout Anthony Harris graded out higher than Adams at safety, according to Pro Football Focus. Eddie Jackson (Bears) was No. 3 during that stretch, and Adams has now leapfrogged him by a wide margin in earnings.

In 2019, Adams earned his first ever First-Team All-Pro nod while notching 75 tackles, seven passes defensed, 6.5 sacks, and a defensive touchdown. Last year, he missed four games with a groin injury, but still showed his mettle as a dangerous playmaker. He notched 9.5 sacks in just 12 games, the most any defensive back has ever posted in a single season. And, with 83 overall stops including eleven tackles for loss, Adams earned his third straight Pro Bowl nod.

Previously, Adams was set to enter his “walk year” and make less than $10MM. Of course, the Seahawks would have been able to franchise tag him next spring, which hurt his leverage somewhat. Ultimately, the two sides reached a logical compromise – Adams gets his mega-deal and a chance to cash in all over again during his prime. The Seahawks, meanwhile, managed to get him for slightly less than Bobby Wagner‘s $18MM-AAV deal.

Seahawks’ Jamal Adams To Seek LB Designation?

The Seahawks can franchise tag Jamal Adams next year for an estimated $13-14MM. At least, that’s the case if Adams is considered a safety. If there’s no deal in place between now and next spring, Adams will argue that he should be classified as a linebacker (via PFT). 

There is precedent for this sort of thing — multiple linebackers have managed to get classified as defensive ends, adding millions to their franchise tag salaries. Adams’ odds will largely hinge on how the Seahawks use him in 2021. If he sees more snaps at safety than linebacker, then he’ll be fighting an uphill battle. But, if it’s the other way around, Adams could see a tag worth nearly $18MM in 2022, perhaps $4MM more than the safety tag.

Beyond that, Adams would increase his leverage significantly. A 20% bump in 2023 ~would put him at about $21.5MM, giving him $10MM more in total between ’22 and ’23. That’d be a much stronger starting point for negotiations for Adams’ camp.

At last check, the Seahawks offered Adams a four-year, $70MM deal with $38MM guaranteed. That’d keep Bobby Wagner as Seattle’s highest-paid defender while making Adams the NFL’s highest-paid safety by a healthy margin — about $2MM/year over Justin Simmons. Adams’ camp, meanwhile, wants $40MM guaranteed with all of the bonus money paid out in the first three years, rather than across all four.

Seahawks Won’t Negotiate With Jamal Adams

The Seahawks are “truly done” negotiating with Jamal Adams, according to a league source who spoke with PFT. After their latest offer, the Seahawks are fully prepared to let Adams play out his option year. 

[RELATED: Latest On Seahawks, Brown]

After that, the Seahawks can franchise tag him twice to keep him under club control through 2023. (Technically, they could franchise tag him three times, but the rate for the 2024 season would be a cap killer.) As it stands, Adams is slated to make $9.86MM in 2021 — an absolute steal for a safety of his caliber. We won’t know the 2022 franchise tag numbers until next spring, but it’d likely cost the Seahawks under $14MM to cuff Adams for next year. Beyond that, they’d be looking at a 20% increase — somewhere in the $16MM neighborhood — for 2023. Those figures would be costly, but still favorable for the Seahawks.

The Seahawks have reportedly offered Adams a four-year, $70MM deal with $38MM guaranteed. That’d keep Bobby Wagner as Seattle’s highest-paid defender while making Adams the NFL’s highest-paid safety by a healthy margin — about $2MM/year over Landon Collins. Adams’ camp countered with $40MM guaranteed and bonus money to be paid out in the deal’s first three years, rather than across all four.

The gap between the two sides is slimmer than its ever been, but the Seahawks say they won’t budge any furhter.

Show all