It’s been two years since the Panthers moved on from Cam Newton, and the organization’s QB room has seen plenty of change in that short amount of time. Besides the financial commitments to free agent additions like Teddy Bridgewater and Newton (for a second stint), the Panthers have also invested plenty of draft capital into the position. Over the past 15 months, the organization has effectively used a second-round pick, third-round pick, fourth-round pick, fifth-round pick, and sixth-round pick to construct their current depth chart of Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, and Matt Corral.
Of course, the Panthers have rostered plenty of additional signal-callers since settling on their current trio. Over the past two years, the Panthers have started four different QBs, and 13 different quarterbacks have made their way through the organization (either via the active roster or practice squad). These 13 different QBs have accounted for 18 different transactions over the past 28 months.
We went back to the 2020 offseason and listed all of the Panthers QB transactions below:
March 10, 2020
- Signed Kyle Allen to a one-year contract
Allen inked a one-year pact with the Panthers to avoid ERFA.
March 17, 2020
- Signed Teddy Bridgewater to a three-year contract
March 23, 2020
- Signed P.J. Walker to a two-year contract
- Traded Kyle Allen to Washington for a 2020 fifth-round pick
March 24, 2020
- Released Cam Newton
April 5, 2021
- Acquired Sam Darnold from Jets for 2022 second-round pick, 2022 fourth-round pick, 2021 sixth-round pick
April 28, 2021
- Traded Teddy Bridgewater to Broncos for 2021 sixth-round pick
April 30, 2021
- Picked up Sam Darnold‘s fifth-year option
August 31, 2021
- Waived Will Grier
Grier was a 2019 third-round pick by the Panthers.
September 2, 2021
- Signed James Morgan to practice squad
November 2, 2021
- Signed Josh Love to practice squad
November 9, 2021
- Signed Matt Barkley to active roster
Barkley was signed off the Titans practice squad.
November 11, 2021
- Signed Cam Newton to one-year contract
December 28, 2021
- Waived Matt Barkley
December 31, 2021
- Signed Jordan Ta’amu to practice squad
April 29, 2022
- Drafted Matt Corral in third round
May 1, 2022
- Signed Davis Cheek (UDFA)
July 6, 2022
- Acquired Baker Mayfield from Browns for 2024 fifth-round pick