Thanks to the Broncos being the first team in four years to deploy the exclusive franchise tag, they don’t technically have to worry about outside suitors driving up Von Miller‘s price. But Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk has been hearing “buzz” that other teams may have made their interest in Miller known via roundabout methods, even if he wouldn’t be available to play for another team until 2017. Miller sitting out this season would create a scenario where the compensation price for the outside linebacker would drop to a first- and third-round pick, if he is once again tagged.
Teams could be floating prospective offers out there and become figurative competition in order to keep Miller unsigned past July 15 and possibly land a knockout blow to the Broncos’ No. 1-ranked defense, Florio posits. However, this time next year, Miller would be one year older and coming off of a lost season. Therefore, any dollar figures out there right now aren’t rooted in the reality 2017 could potentially present.
Here’s more on Miller, along with the latest from the AFC West.
- The above scenario meaning Miller sacrifices $14.26MM now in order to earn a few million extra in guaranteed money next year doesn’t make sense for the Super Bowl MVP, Jason Fitzgerald of OverTheCap tweets. While it’s certainly possible Miller could recoup more than $14MM in guaranteed money from another team next spring, that team would have to give the Broncos a first- and third-rounder, assuming they use the franchise tag again. And barring some unforeseen development, Miller will likely be on the Broncos for at least three more seasons if he agreed to the aforementioned deal and receive the money he’s seeking as the contract plays out.
- A prospective Miller-less 2016 also strikes TheMMQB.com’s Andrew Brandt as implausible. He remains confident the Broncos and Miller will come to an agreement on July 14 or 15. The Broncos raising the guarantee or increasing the cash flow in the first three years represent ways to bridge the gap, Brandt writes, with both sides having essentially agreed on the total value of the deal.
- Less than two months after the Broncos cut Richard Gordon, the journeyman tight end looks to have made a potential route back to the NFL difficult. Gordon was arrested on charges of battery and battery on a law enforcement officer, Brian Hamacher of NBCMiami.com reports. A police report indicates a passerby observed a man punching a woman and push her out of an SUV. The woman, who told police she lives with the 29-year-old Gordon, said he punched her arm several times and slapped her in the face. The Broncos cut Gordon three times since last October but re-signed the blocking tight end in February. Gordon’s seen game action for four teams, previously spending time with the Raiders, Titans and Chiefs.
- Although the Raiders didn’t receive the concrete answer they wanted at today’s Southern Nevada Tourism Infrastructure Committee meeting on a potential stadium, Vincent Bonsignore of the Los Angeles Daily News reports (on Twitter) belief remains Las Vegas will find common ground on a stadium deal. Raiders president Mark Badain told media (including Bonsignore, via Twitter) the franchise is disappointed by what it heard today, the SNTIC believes (Twitter link) common ground will be reached. Today’s meeting set the public contribution amount to $550MM after developers hoped that number would reach $750MM (Twitter links, via Bonsignore). Regardless, the Raiders’ cost in this equation remains $500MM, no matter how the rest of the money arrives.
- The cost the owners could bill the Raiders for the right to move to Las Vegas is expected to be between $250MM and the $550MM the league charged the Rams, Andy Dolich of CSNBayArea.com reports.