August 9th, 2019 at 9:29pm CST by Andrew Ortenberg
Today’s minor moves:
- Signed: LB Chase Middleton
- Waived: DB Hamp Cheevers
- Signed: DT Brandin Bryant, OT Travis Vornkahl
- Signed: TE Brandon Barnes
- Waived: CB Isaiah Langley
- Waived/injured: DE Ira Lewis
- Signed: WR Quadree Henderson, LB Davis Tull
- Waived/injured: WR Marcus Simms (concussion)
April 10th, 2019 at 1:59pm CST by Dallas Robinson
Could the Panthers be in the market for a backup quarterback? They’re meeting with Auburn signal-caller Jarrett Stidham today, while Carolina has spent “considerable time” with West Virginia’s Will Grier, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL.com (Twitter links). Cam Newton missed two starts last season, and the Panthers were subsequently forced to rely on unproven options like Taylor Heinicke and Kyle Allen under center. Head coach Ron Rivera indicated earlier this year that Carolina would likely eschew a veteran quarterback addition in favor of utilizing the draft, but as Jourdan Rodrigue of the Charlotte Observer tweets, it’s unclear how high of a pick the Panther are willing to use in order to land Newton’s new backup. Stidham, meanwhile, has also visited the Giants, per Pelissero.
Here’s more from the NFC South:
- Florida State edge rusher Brian Burns‘ next visit will be with the Buccaneers, as he noted on Chris Simms Unbuttoned (link via Josh Alper of Pro Football Talk). After sitting down with Tampa Bay, Burns is expected to meet with the Lions, Giants, and Colts, the latter of whom has shown the most interest in Burns thus far. The ex-Seminole could come off the board within the top-10 selections of the draft, and he’s viewed as one of the best pass rushers in the 2019 class. After posting 23 sacks and 38.5 tackles for loss during his collegiate career, Burns tested like an elite athlete at the scouting combine.
- Giants head coach Pat Shurmur prefers a veteran backup behind starting quarterback Eli Manning, as Ryan Dunleacy of NJ.com writes. New York re-signed Alex Tanney last month, and if he’s set to serve as the club’s No. 2 signal-caller, 2018 fourth-round pick Kyle Lauletta‘s roster spot could be in danger, especially if the Giants select a quarterback early in the upcoming draft. Big Blue spoke repeatedly about inserting Lauletta into game action last season, but he ultimately attempted only five passes (all of which were incomplete and one of which was intercepted) in Week 13. He was subsequently deactivated for the next two contests. Lauletta’s late October arrest probably doesn’t help his roster chances, either.
- More Alliance of American Football veterans could be heading to the NFL. The Vikings worked out linebacker Davis Tull on Wednesday, tweets Pelissero, and will audition linebacker Greer Martini on Thursday, per Rob Demovsky of NFL.com (Twitter link). More than 40 AAF alums have landed NFL contracts since the fledgling league folded, and Tull and/or Martini could force that number to rise. Tull, notably, was a fifth-round pick of the Saints in 2015 but has yet to appear in an NFL game.
December 5th, 2017 at 9:03pm CST by Dallas Robinson
Today’s workout updates, with all links going to veteran NFL reporter Howard Balzer’s Twitter account unless otherwise noted:
Green Bay Packers
New Orleans Saints
- LB Davis Tull (link via Nick Underhill of the Advocate)
September 2nd, 2017 at 3:19pm CST by Zachary Links
The Rams added a player via trade on Saturday, but their real focus was on mass cuts to get down to the 53-man max. Here’s a rundown of their moves.
- DT Omarius Bryant
- WR K.D. Cannon
- OL Parker Collins
- K Travis Coons
- CB Carlos Davis
- LB Kevin Davis (waived/injured)
- OL Michael Dunn
- OL Jake Eldrenkamp
- LB Josh Forrest (waived/injured)
- DB Tyquwan Glass
- RB Aaron Green
- DB Isaiah Johnson
- DB Michael Jordan
- OL Alex Kozan
- OLB Willie Mays
- LB Cassanova Mckinzy
- WR Paul McRoberts
- OLB Andy Mulumba
- OL Pace Murphy
- LB Folarin Orimolade
- DB Aarion Penton
- NT Mike Purcell
- FB Sam Rogers
- WR Shakeir Ryan
- DT Casey Sayles
- WR Brandon Shippen
- WR Nelson Spruce (waived/injured)
- OLB Carlos Thompson
- RB Lenard Tillery (waived/injured)
- OLB Orlovsky was signed in July, but he was facing long odds since the Rams already had Jared Goff and Sean Mannion as their top two QBs.
- G Cody Wichmann
- TE Travis Wilson
Orlovsky was signed in July, but he was facing long odds since the Rams already had Jared Goff and Sean Mannion as their top two QBs. Since being drafted in 2005, the 34-year-old has made just 12 career starts.
August 18th, 2017 at 8:05pm CST by Sam Robinson
Here are today’s minor moves.
- Giants UDFA wide receiver Keeon Johnson broke his foot during Thursday’s practice and needed surgery, a source tells Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com (on Twitter). He has been waived with an injury designation, and Raanan expects he’ll land on IR.
- In related moves, the Giants signed wideouts Ed Eagan and Canaan Severin and waived wide receiver Kevin Snead with an injury designation. Eagan entered the league as a Cowboys UDFA last year but ended up joining the Browns midway through camp. He spent last season bouncing on and off the Bills’ practice squad. Severin spent his would-be rookie year on the Steelers’ IR list; Pittsburgh cut him earlier this week.
- The Cardinals announced they’ve signed inside linebacker Ryan Langford and released wide receiver Marquis Bundy. Langford and Bundy were teammates at the University of New Mexico. Bundy was promoted to Arizona’s active roster late last season after spending most of it on the practice squad. The Texans cut Langford after training camp last year.
- A former Saints fifth-round draft choice in 2015, outside linebacker Davis Tull will sign with the Rams, Mike Garafolo of NFL.com tweets. Tull spent his rookie season on the Saints’ IR list and vacillated between free agency and the Falcons’ practice squad last season. The Tennessee-Chattanooga product was a Division I-FCS All-American in 2014.
- The Dolphins waived rookie seventh-round pick, wide receiver Isaiah Ford, with an injury designation. Ford had been rehabbing after a knee surgery. The Virginia Tech product is coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons with the Hokies. Ford will revert to Miami’s IR if unclaimed on waivers.
- The Packers reached an injury settlement with tight end Beau Sandland, Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com tweets. Green Bay signed Sandland to a reserve/futures deal in January but waived him earlier this week.
- The Redskins also reached one with wideout Kendal Thompson, a former Utah quarterback who spent last season on Washington’s practice squad.
December 13th, 2016 at 8:25pm CST by Dallas Robinson
We’ve already passed along one batch of workout updates earlier today, but clubs with continuously taking a look at free agents as the season comes to a close — likely with an eye on futures contracts — we have a fresh listing of tryouts to share. Here’s the latest from the workout circuit:
- Before signing Shaquille Riddick to their practice squad earlier today, the Steelers also worked out fellow linebacker Davis Tull, tweets Adam Caplan of ESPN.com. Tull was waived from Atlanta’s practice squad in early November.
- The Broncos auditioned the following 10 players, according to Howard Balzer of BalzerFootball.com (Twitter links): linebackers Khairi Fortt, Deon Lacey, and John Lotulelei; safeties Kevin Peterson, Josh Evans, Dezmen Southward; and cornerbacks Keith Baxter, Mike Hilton, Demetrius McCray, and Corey Tindal.
- Like Denver, the Saints also worked out a large group of players. The full list, per Nick Underhill of the Advocate (all links go to Twitter): quarterback Sean Renfree; running backs Will Ratelle, Darrel Young, and Soma Vainuku; wide receivers Max McCaffrey, Derel Walker, and Kevin Smith; linebackers Khalil Bass and Adam Bighill; defensive end T.J. Fatinikun; defensive tackle Drake Nevis; defensive backs Tony Burnett, Otha Foster, Anthony Gaitor, and Forest Hightower.
- The Packers worked out linebacker Frank Beltre and defensive lineman David Moala today, reports Rob Demovksy of ESPN.com. The third member of that tryout, linebacker Jordan Tripp, was ultimately signed to the active roster.
- The Buccaneers tried out cornerback Tre Jones and linebacker Raphael Kirby, per Caplan (Twitter link).
November 15th, 2016 at 7:06pm CST by Dallas Robinson
The Colts worked out a cadre of players today, including veteran offensive lineman Dallas Thomas, according to Adam Caplan of ESPN.com (Twitter link). Thomas, 27, started 26 games during his four-year career with Miami, but was cut earlier this year. Indianapolis also auditioned cornerback Will Davis, wide receivers Antwan Goodley and Dres Anderson, and linebacker Davis Tull.
Here’s more from the workout circuit:
- With Cameron Heyward out for the year, the Steelers tried out defensive end Bobby Richardson today, tweets Nick Underhill of the Advocate. Richardson was a 11-game starter during his rookie season in 2015, but has bounced around the league during his sophomore campaign.
- Former Colts defensive back D’Joun Smith worked out for the Packers today, reports Caplan (Twitter link). Smith was a third-round pick in 2015.
- The Seahawks worked out defensive lineman Shaneil Jenkins, per Caplan (Twitter link).
- The Eagles took a look at wide receiver Kenny Lawler and fullback Chris Swain, tweets Caplan.
- Lawler has been busy this week, as Caplan reports (Twitter link) that he also worked out for the Chiefs.
- The Jaguars auditioned offensive tackle Rob Crisp, according to Howard Balzer (Twitter link).
- The Buccaneers worked out offensive lineman Mike Liedtke, tweets Balzer.
- In search of linebacker depth, the Titans tried out free agent Reshard Cliett today, per Balzer (Twitter link).
November 8th, 2016 at 5:06pm CST by Connor J. Byrne
- Signed: OL Blake Muir
- Cut: LB Davis Tull
- Signed: G Kadeem Edwards
- Cut: G Clay DeBord
- Signed: WR Wendall Williams
Kansas City Chiefs
- Signed: S Jimmy Hall, CB Tylor Patmon, QB Joel Stave
- Cut: RB Zac Brooks, OL Jarrod Pughsley, OT Zach Sterup
New York Giants
New York Jets
San Diego Chargers
October 11th, 2016 at 5:16pm CST by Dallas Robinson
Today’s practice squad moves:
- Signed: LB Davis Tull
- Cut: P Michael Palardy
New England Patriots
New York Giants
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
October 4th, 2016 at 5:12pm CST by Dallas Robinson
Here are today’s practice squad moves:
- Signed: P Michael Palardy (Twitter link via Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com)
- Cut: LB Davis Tull
- Signed: OL Mike Liedtke (Twitter link via Tessler)
New York Giants
New York Jets
- Signed: DE James Cowser
- Cut: DL Demetrius Cherry, LB Darnell Sankey (Twitter link via Scott Bair of CSNBayArea.com)
San Diego Chargers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers