A long list of reserve/futures contracts to pass along:
- WR Rodney Adams, DB Marqui Christian, DB Xavier Crawford, OL Dieter Eiselen, TE Jesper Horsted, WR Thomas Ives, DT LaCale London, OLB Ledarius Mack, DB Teez Tabor, OL Badara Traore
- RB Darius Anderson, S Ibraheim Campbell, CB Andre Chachere, DT Kameron Cline, WR Quartney Davis, G Jake Eldrenkamp, TE Farrod Green, G Sam Jones, T Carter O’Donnell, RB Paul Perkins, P Austin Rehkow, CB Will Sunderland, CB Roderic Teamer, TE Andrew Vollert, DT Chris Williams, DT Rob Windsor
New York Giants
- OT Tommy Champion, QB Danny Etling, WR Aaron Fuller, WR Penny Hart, DB Gavin Heslop, DT Cedrick Lattimore, C Brad Lundblade, TE Tyler Mabry, QB Alex McGough, DB Jordan Miller, WR Cody Thompson
- OT Paul Adams, WR Rashard Davis, TE Parker Hesse, WR Cody Hollister, TE Tommy Hudson, LB Jan Johnson, T Brandon Kemp, QB DeShone Kizer, K Tucker McCann, OL Daniel Munyer, OLB Nate Orchard, LS Matt Orzech, WR Chester Rogers, OLB Tuzar Skipper
Washington Football Team
George Kittle played through an injury last season, earning Pro Bowl honors despite dealing with a labrum tear. Just prior to Sunday’s Jets game, the 49ers tight end — who suffered an MCL sprain in Week 1 — was believed to be on track to return in Week 3, per ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter. But considering the injury issues the 49ers had on the MetLife Stadium turf, which caused gripes from several San Francisco players, this might not still be the case. Kyle Shanahan said he will take the field conditions — when the 49ers return to MetLife to play the Giants — into account when determining Kittle’s Week 3 availability, per NBC Sports Bay Area’s Jennifer Lee Chan.
Let’s take a look at the latest from the NFC, including news on a few more Pro Bowlers’ respective Week 3 statuses:
- The 49ers will be down to just three first-round defensive linemen against the Giants. After losing Nick Bosa and Solomon Thomas for the season, the 49ers ruled out Dee Ford for a second straight week. Ford, who has suffered a litany of maladies since being traded to San Francisco, has no return timetable, according to Tom Pelissero and Mike Garafolo of NFL.com (on Twitter). The seventh-year defensive end is currently down with a neck injury, but Matt Barrows of The Athletic notes this has morphed into a back problem (subscription required). Ziggy Ansah serves as the third ex-first-rounder, having signed with the 49ers this week.
- The Packers appear to have ruled out a long-term absence for top wideout Davante Adams. The standout receiver’s hamstring injury is considered minor, Tom Pelissero of NFL.com tweets. Adams is not a lock to face the Saints in Week 3, however. Matt LaFleur halted Adams from returning to action Sunday and may play the long game with Aaron Rodgers‘ top weapon.
- Good news for the Buccaneers. Chris Godwin figures to be back in uniform Sunday against the Broncos. The Pro Bowl wide receiver cleared the team’s concussion protocol early this week.
- Pete Carroll indicated Rashaad Penny is ahead of schedule in his ACL rehab, via Brandon Gustafson of 710 AM ESPN Radio Seattle, predicting the third-year running back may well beat a perceived midseason return window. The longtime Seahawks coach, however, generally leans toward optimism regarding his players’ recoveries. That should probably be factored into this assessment. Penny resides on Seattle’s PUP list and cannot make his 2020 debut until at least Week 7. With Chris Carson in a contract year and Carlos Hyde on a one-year deal, how Penny performs in his return from injury figures to be pivotal for the Seahawks’ long-term running back plan.
- Down Tevin Coleman and likely to be without Raheem Mostert in Week 3, the 49ers brought in three running backs for a Tuesday workout. Paul Perkins, Karan Higdon and Austin Walter are auditioning for the 49ers, Pelissero notes (on Twitter). Perkins was a former Giants fifth-round pick but has not eclipsed 100 rushing yards in a season since 2016.
Today’s notes from the workout/visit circuit:
- OG Larry Allen, OT Ka’John Armstrong, RB Alex Barnes, WR Tyre Brady, RB Nick Brossette, QB Taryn Christion, RB Jeremy Cox, RB Matthew Dayes, OT Brian Fineanganofo, QB Nick Fitzgerald, OG Joshua Garnett, QB Tyree Jackson, TE Tyree Mayfield, WR De’Mornay Pierson-El, OG Bunchy Stallings, WR DeAndre Thompkins, WR Trevion Thompson, WR Alex Wesley, WR Papi White
- P Ryan Anderson, TE Paul Butler, LS James Fisher, P Jack Fox, TE Cole Herdman, LB Christian Kuntz, DT Walter Palmore, P Austin Rehkow, TE Will Tye, K Kaare Vedvik, DE Kevin Wilkins, LS John Wirtel
- DE Eric Lee
New Orleans Saints
New York Jets
Today’s practice squad moves:
- Signed: WR Malik Henry
- Signed: RB Paul Perkins
Los Angeles Chargers
- Signed: DB Xavier Crawford
- Signed: LB Reshard Cliett
San Francisco 49ers
Another change for the Lions’ running back group. The team’s starter in the first game following Kerryon Johnson‘s IR designation, Tra Carson will now join the team’s original 2019 starter on the Lions’ IR list.
The Lions sent Carson to IR, effectively ending the recent waiver claim’s season. Detroit promoted running back Paul Perkins to take Carson’s roster spot.
Carson worked through two limited practices this week with a hamstring injury, so this could lead to an injury settlement once the ex-Packer is healthy. Carson finished his Week 8 start with 12 carries for 34 yards in the Lions’ 31-26 win over the Giants.
A former Giant, Perkins came to Detroit as a waiver claim earlier this season. The Lions were able to pass the UCLA product through to their practice squad recently but will bring him back to their 53-man roster because of more backfield injury trouble. He took C.J. Anderson‘s roster spot. The Lions’ backfield now consists of sixth-round rookie Ty Johnson, ex-Seahawk J.D. McKissic and Perkins.
Today’s minor moves:
- Claimed off waivers (Giants): LB Tae Davis
- Promoted from practice squad: QB Brett Rypien
Los Angeles Chargers
- Promoted from practice squad: CB Tevaughn Campbell
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Placed on injured reserve: LB Cassanova McKinzy
Here are today’s minor transactions:
- Released: WR Damion Willis
- Claimed: DL Jonathan Harris (from Bears)
- Promoted: RB Paul Perkins
- Promoted: WR Steven Mitchell Jr.
New England Patriots
New Orleans Saints
- Signed: LB Stephone Anthony, CB Johnson Bademosi
- Placed on IR: DT Hassan Ridgeway
- Waived: G Jordan Roos