Here’s a look at the latest workouts from around the NFL:
Here are Wednesday’s minor moves:
- Released from IR via injury settlement: TE Dax Raymond
- Released from IR via injury settlement: OL Kyle Kalis
- Signed: RB David Williams
- Waived: QB Chad Kanoff
- Promoted from practice squad: S Rolan Milligan
- Released from IR via injury settlement: LB Ahmad Thomas
New York Giants
- Released from IR via injury settlement: WR Alex Wesley
- Promoted from practice squad: CB Craig James
- Released from IR via injury settlement: TE Richard Rodgers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Released from IR via injury settlement: DL Jeremiah Ledbetter
The Giants waived quarterback Kyle Lauletta as a part of their moves to reach the 53-man roster limit. The move leaves Alex Tanney as the No. 3 QB behind starter Eli Manning and first-round pick Daniel Jones.
Between an October arrest and a poor professional debut, Lauletta dug himself into a bit of a hole. Although the 2018 fourth-round pick is just 24 and had enough upside to merit a mid-round selection, the 31-year-old Tanney edged him out in practice. This, perhaps, isn’t a huge surprise after the G-Men signed him to a two-year, $2.1MM contract with $775K guaranteed.
Besides Lauletta, here’s how the Giants got to the limit.
- DT Chris Slayton
- RB Jon Hilliman
- WR TJ Jones
- WR Reggie White, Jr.
- TE C.J. Conrad
- TE Jake Powell
- OL Paul Adams
- OL Evan Brown
- OL Malcolm Bunche
- OL James O’Hagan
- DL Freedom Akinmoladun
- DL Jake Ceresna
- DL John Jenkins
- LB Joey Alfieri,
- LB Jake Carlock
- LB Terrence Fede
- LB Avery Moss
- LB Josiah Tauaefa
- DB Tenny Adewusi
- DB Terrell Sinkfield, Jr.
- P Johnny Townsend
- LS Taybor Pepper.
- LB Keion Adams
- DB Kenny Ladler
- OT Victor Salako
- DB Henre’ Toliver
- WR Alex Wesley
- OT Chad Wheeler
- DB Ronald Zamort
Waived off the commissioner’s exempt list:
- DB Kamrin Moore
Placed on IR:
The Giants announced that they have signed the following undrafted free agents in advance of tomorrow’s rookie minicamp:
- Paul Adams, OT (Missouri)
- Jake Carlock, DB (LIU Post)
- C.J. Conrad, TE (Kentucky)
- Eric Dungey, QB (Syracuse)
- Jeremiah Harris, DE (Eastern Michigan)
- Nate Harvey, DE (East Carolina)
- Jon Hilliman, RB (Rutgers)
- Mark McLaurin, DB (Mississippi State) ($20K guaranteed base salary and $10K signing bonus, per Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle on Twitter)
- James O’Hagan, C (Buffalo)
- Josiah Tauaefa, LB (UTSA) ($95K guaranteed base salary and $15K signing bonus, per Wilson on Twitter)
- Jacob Thieneman, DB (Purdue)
- Alex Wesley, WR (Northern Colorado)
- Reggie White Jr., WR (Monmouth)
Cue the quarterback controversy, as Dungey could be coming for Daniel Jones‘ job. Well, probably not, but Dungey was in high demand after the draft was over, per Charean Williams of Pro Football Talk. Dungey had offers from about five clubs, but a telephone call between the former Orange signal-caller and New York head coach Pat Shurmur helped seal the deal. Dungey could theoretically stick as the third QB if Big Blue goes in that direction, and his athleticism will certainly help his case for a roster spot, as he could contribute on special teams and/or as a gadget player. Dungey passed for 9,340 yards with 58 touchdowns and 30 interceptions in his four seasons at Syracuse, but he also rushed for 1,993 yards and 35 touchdowns.
The Giants addressed their flagging pass rush to some degree in the draft by selecting Old Dominion defensive end Oshane Ximines in the third round, and they may have uncovered a gem in Harvey, a converted running back. Harvey had 14.5 sacks last year and was named the AAC’s Defensive Player of the Year.
As evidenced by the large amount of guaranteed money they’re giving him, the Giants think highly of Tauaefa, a tackling machine who is capable of making plays behind the line of scrimmage and who posted over 100 tackles in two of his three collegiate seasons. And after adding three DBs in the draft, Big Blue added three more via UDFA signings, further underscoring its commitment to improving its defensive backfield.