Today’s minor moves:
- Signed: K Travis Coons
Thursday’s minor NFL moves:
- The Saints claimed offensive tackle Jerry Ugokwe off waivers from the Colts, tweets Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. In a corresponding move, the Saints waived fellow tackle Martin Wallace with an injury designation, per Nick Underhill of the Advocate (on Twitter). Ugokwe is an undrafted free agent from William & Mary who was with the Colts from May until Wednesday. Wallace, who joined the Saints in late July, has bounced around the league since going undrafted in 2013. He appeared in one game with Cleveland that year.
- Defensive end Rufus Johnson agreed to a deal with the Raiders, relays Rapoport (on Twitter). Johnson was involved in a “serious” car crash on Wednesday, notes Rapoport. The 26-year-old was previously with the Saints, Patriots and Redskins. His sole appearance came with New England in 2015.
- The Jaguars signed long snapper Matt Overton to replace Carson Tinker, who suffered a torn right ACL. The team also added guard Malcolm Bunche. The headliner is Overton, who was the Colts’ long snapper from 2012-16. He appeared in 16 games in each of those seasons and earned a Pro Bowl nod in 2013.
- The Seahawks signed receiver Jamel Johnson and waived wideout Rodney Smith, per Charean Williams of Pro Football Talk. This is the second Seattle stint for Johnson, who was previously with the organization from late January through early May. Johnson went undrafted back in 2014 and has also been a member of the Green Bay organization. Smith, who signed with the Seahawks in January, combined to appear in eight games with the Vikings and Browns from 2013-14.
- The Packers waived-injured cornerback Herb Waters with a shoulder issue, reports Michael Cohen of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Waters came into the league last year as an undrafted receiver from Miami before shifting to corner. He made enough progress on the practice squad for the team to promote him during the playoffs.
- Defensive back Stefan McClure agreed to a deal with the Redskins, per his reps at Uso Sports (on Twitter). McClure went undrafted from California last year and spent some time on the Colts’ practice squad.
- The Buccaneers reached an injury settlement with receiver Thomas Sperbeck, according to Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times (Twitter link). The club waived the undrafted rookie from Boise State after he suffered a hamstring strain last weekend.
- The Texans announced they have moved outside linebacker Davon Pratt to the active roster and waived defensive end T.J. Daniel. Pratt, from East Carolina, joined the Texans as an undrafted free agent in May. So did Daniel, who went to Oregon.
- The Chiefs placed undrafted rookie Jordan Sterns on waivers. Sterns is a safety from Oklahoma State.
- The Panthers signed tight end Bryce Williams and waived-injured safety Travelle Dixon. The Panthers are the fourth team for Williams, who has also spent time with the Patriots, Rams and Seahawks since going undrafted out of East Carolina last year. Dixon, undrafted from Washington two years ago, first joined the Panthers in January 2016.
- The Bears added running back Josh Rounds and waived-injured fellow RB Joel Bouagnon. Both players went undrafted this year (Rounds from Tulane, Bouagnon from Northwestern).
- The Rams signed receivers Justin Thomas and C.J. Germany. They also waived fullback Zach Laskey (Twitter links via Rapoport and Alden Gonzalez of ESPN.com).
- The Chargers signed center Barrett Gouger, who worked out for the team Thursday, tweets Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle. Gouger’s an undrafted rookie from Vanderbilt.
Zach Links contributed to this post.
A rundown of Tuesday’s minor moves:
- Promoted from practice squad: S Christian Bryant (signed from Giants practice squad)
- Placed on injured reserve: S Tony Jefferson, G Taylor Boggs
- Promoted from practice squad: S Travell Dixon, DE Larry Webster
- Placed on IR: S Tre Boston, DE Ryan Delaire
- Promoted from practice squad: WR Jake Kumerow, LB Trevor Roach
- Placed on IR: RB Ryan Matthews
San Francisco 49ers
San Diego Chargers
- Promoted from practice squad: RB Andre Williams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Placed on IR: CB Jude Adjei-Barimah
The Panthers have moved their roster all the way down to 53 by making several cuts, and the NFL announced that guard Chris Scott had been suspended four games for violating the league’s PED policy.
- WR Keyarris Garrett (Twitter link via Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer)
- G David Yankey (Twitter link via Jones)
- DB Marcus Ball
- LB Brian Blechen
- S Travell Dixon
- TE Beau Sandland
- RB Jalen Simmons
- DT Robert Thomas
- DE Larry Webster
- CB Lou Young
- DT Kyle Love
Placed on IR:
- G Chris Scott
Garrett, a wide receiver out of Tulsa, went undrafted, but he believes that he is the best at his position in the 2016 class.
“I say that all the time,” Garrett told David Newton of ESPN.com earlier this year. “That’s just how I feel. I had the best numbers out of any of the receivers. My numbers don’t lie. “That’s why I felt like I was the best wide receiver.”
Last year, Garrett racked up a nation-leading 1,588 receiving yards off of 96 catches.
Here are today’s reserve/futures contract signings from around the league. These deals will go into effect on the first day of the 2016 league year, with players joining their respective clubs’ 90-man rosters:
- Cobi Hamilton, WR (team announcement)
- Tyler Larsen, G
- Matthew Masifilo, C
- Larry Webster, DE
- Eric Crume, DT
- Travell Dixon, CB
- Erle Ladson, OL (Twitter link via Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon-Journal)
- Patrick Miller, OT (Twitter link via Wilson)
New York Giants
San Francisco 49ers
- Marcus Rush, LB (Twitter link via Wilson)
It’s been a busy last couple of days around the NFL, with teams still looking to fill up their squads for the rest of the season. Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle tweeted a whole bunch of workout notes this afternoon, which we’ve compiled for you below…
- CB Mitchell White (link)
- OG Al Bond (link)
- DT Eric Crume (link)
- CB Travell Dixon (link)
- QB Zac Dysert (link)
- TE Joseph Fauria (link)
- NT Ishmaa’ily Kitchen (link)
- C Tyler Larsen (link)
- OG Matthew Masifilo (link)
- OG Shelley Smith (link)
- S Usama Young (link)
Today’s minor moves..
- The Ravens cut Trey DePriest and re-signed linebacker Andrew Bose, Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun writes. Both players were UDFAs from this year’s class. DePriest, who got a $5K signing bonus from Baltimore earlier this month, was a starter at Alabama who registered 87 total tackles and five tackles for loss last season. Bose, meanwhile, tried out at the Ravens’ rookie minicamp and was a roster casualty after the signing of veteran cornerback Kyle Arrington.
- The Raiders signed linebacker Horace Miller and wide receiver Milton Williams III, according to Wilson (on Twitter). The Panthers waived Miller in April.
- Browns linebacker Keith Pough reverted to the team’s injured reserve after going unclaimed off waivers, Wilson tweets. Cowboys wide receiver Chris Boyd (link) and Colts defensive back Josh Mitchell (link) also went back to their team’s respective IRs after going unclaimed.
- The Raiders cut Travell Dixon and Austin Hill, Wilson tweets. Oakland signed Hill after the wide receiver did not pass a physical to sign with Seahawks.