Rather than releasing 30+ players on Saturday morning, the Titans got ahead of the game on Friday by making some early cuts. The following players have been dropped from the 90-man roster (all links go to Twitter, unless noted otherwise):
- CB Trey Caldwell (via McCormick)
- DB Rico Gafford (via McCormick)
- DB Demontre Hurst (via Tom Pelissero of NFL.com)
- DE Francis Kallon (via McCormick)
- DE David King (via Adam Caplan of SiriusXM)
- DL Johnny Maxey (via McCormick) (waived/injured)
- DL Mike Ramsay (via Terry McCormick of TitanInsider.com)
- DB Steven Terrell (via McCormick)
- RB Lenard Tillery (via McCormick)
- WR Jordan Veasy (via McCormick)
King was an exclusive rights free agent this offseason and was retained on a one-year deal for the league minimum. Last season marked his most successful campaign to date as he played on a quarter of the club’s defensive snaps and 16% of the Titans’ special teams snaps.
The Titans wrapped their preseason on Thursday night with a 13-3 loss to the Vikings. The Titans went 0-4 in exhibition games, but that’s rarely an indicator of regular season success.
Per league rules, the Titans must trim their way down to a 53-man roster by Saturday afternoon. They’ll get there by releasing more players and placing others on injured reserve.