The Dolphins appear to have moved to the finalist stage in their interview process. Second interviews are expected for Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel and Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets.
While neither of this cycle’s early hires — Nathaniel Hackett and Matt Eberflus — interviewed with the Dolphins, the team did speak with Cowboys DC Dan Quinn. He will not take one of the remaining available jobs, instead preferring to stay in Dallas. The Dolphins are leaning offense this time around. Their second round of interviews are not expected to take place until next week, Rapoport adds (on Twitter). Considering Daboll’s connection to the Giants, this timetable is interesting.
Strongly connected to both the Dolphins and Giants’ HC vacancies, Daboll may end up having his pick of the two jobs. The Giants hired Bills assistant GM Joe Schoen, who has already interviewed Daboll twice. The Dolphins are believed to have the four-year Bills OC slotted as their frontrunner; it is looking like the point man for Josh Allen‘s ascent will have a new job soon.
A three-year Cowboys OC, Moore interviewed with the Broncos, Jaguars and Vikings as well. At 33, he would be one of the youngest HC hires in NFL history. Despite Dallas’ early playoff exit, the NFC East champions ranked first in points scored and total offense this season. McDaniel looms as a bit of a wild card, given that he has not interviewed with another team during this cycle. This also marks the first offseason in which the San Francisco OC is receiving close attention for a coaching job. Unlike Daboll and Moore, McDaniel is a non-play-calling OC.
Here is how Miami’s HC search looks as of Thursday afternoon:
- Thomas Brown, running backs coach/assistant head coach (Rams): Interviewed 1/21
- Brian Daboll, offensive coordinator (Bills): Second interview expected; viewed as favorite?
- Leslie Frazier, defensive coordinator (Bills): Interviewed 1/16
- Vance Joseph, defensive coordinator (Cardinals): Interviewed 1/21
- Mike McDaniel, offensive coordinator (49ers): Second interview expected
- Kellen Moore, offensive coordinator (Cowboys): Second interview expected
- Dan Quinn, defensive coordinator (Cowboys): Interviewed 1/20; remaining in Dallas