The Saints are currently without one of their starting offensive linemen. That may be the case for a bit. Andrus Peat suffered a broken thumb, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. Recently re-signed to a lucrative deal, Peat is set to be out up to three weeks, Dan Graziano of ESPN.com notes. While the sixth-year guard could be ready for Week 1, the Saints have an experienced interior-line swing man ready to fill in. Former Vikings starter Nick Easton is now working in Peat’s place at left guard. Easton replaced an injured Peat as a starter in six games last season.
Here is the latest from the South divisions:
Alvin Kamara and the Saints began extension talks last week, but the sides may be far apart on terms. A deal is not particularly close at this juncture, Nick Underhill of NewOrleans.football tweets. Kamara is going into the final year of his third-round rookie contract. The three-time Pro Bowler will make just $2.13MM this season. Kamara joins Dalvin Cook, Aaron Jones and Joe Mixon among 2017 running back draftees in negotiations. This group will battle a few hurdles — short running back primes, the position’s low value, poor returns on a few recent high-end running back deals and a likely 2021 cap reduction — as they attempt to secure long-term deals.
Jameis Winston has hired a new agent. The new Saints QB2 has selected Reggie Johnson of Stellar Group to represent him, Greg Auman of The Athletic tweets. Johnson will be Winston’s third agent since 2018. The former Buccaneers starter may be a long-term option for the Saints, but unlike Drew Brees and Taysom Hill, Winston is signed only through 2020. He could also be set to test the market again next year.
Ryan Kelly said in May he and the Colts were discussing an extension. With a contract season looming, the Pro Bowl center insists he would like to stay in Indianapolis long-term, Joel Erickson of the Indianapolis Star notes. Given Kelly’s age (27) and importance to a Colts O-line that ranks as one of the NFL’s best, he is in line to become the NFL’s highest-paid center — perhaps by a notable margin. Rodney Hudson‘s second Raiders deal currently resides atop the center list, at $11.25MM per year. This AAV figure sits more than $3MM below the top guard salary and nearly $11MM south of the leading tackle contract.
The Titans worked out one of their former linebackers Monday. Will Compton auditioned for the team, Field Yates of ESPN.com tweets. Compton, 30, played 12 games for the 2018 Titans, starting two. He last played for the Raiders, suiting up for nine Oakland contests in 2019.
An assault case against Jaguars fullback Bruce Miller has been dismissed, according to Miller’s attorney (via Matt Barrows of The Athletic, on Twitter). Miller, 33, has not played since 2015. After allegedly assaulting a man and his son in 2016 in San Francisco, Miller was charged with aggravated assault and elder abuse.
12:50am: 49ers tight end/fullback Bruce Miller was arrested for assault on Monday morning, according to KTVU.com. The 29-year-old was arrested in San Francisco following an incident at the Fisherman’s Wharf Marriott Hotel.
“The San Francisco 49ers organization is aware of the media report regarding Bruce Miller,” the team said in statement (via Matt Maiocco on Twitter). “We are gathering the relevant facts of this matter and will continue to monitor the situation.
Reports indicate that Miller was told the hotel was full on Sunday evening, but the five-year veteran returned early on Monday morning and knocked on a guest’s door. When Miller was informed that he had the wrong room, he attacked both the guest and the guest’s father. A 70-year-old man was reportedly punched in the face and suffered broken bones during the incident. Miller fled, but he was apprehended and arrested early this morning.
A former seventh-round pick, Miller has only missed three games during his five-year career. The versatile offensive weapon has 76 career receptions, including 10 last season for 135 yards. Miller also has 28 career rushes. Roster Resource has Miller slotted in as the team’s third tight end.
“And he knows this, coming from me, if he wants to play, then he’s got to come back and prove he can play,” Flaherty said. “It’s got to come from within. You can tell him exactly what I just said, ‘Listen, you’ll have an opportunity to play. But that’s all it is. You decided for whatever reason to retire. If you come back in the game, nothing is going to be handed to you. You’re going to have to work your tail off.’ And the conversation that I’ve had back when I first got here, was he was acceptable to that. Now, I don’t see him. I don’t know why. So I can’t answer that one.”
As of late May, Davis still hasn’t filed for reinstatement from the NFL’s reserve/retired list. Davis also slammed the Niners via social media this offseason when he tweeted, “I do not want to work with a front office or anyone else who seemingly doesn’t want to win as bad as I do.” If he does come back, Davis will be under 49ers control through the 2019 season.
Davis, 26, was San Francisco’s first-round pick in 2010, coming off the board 11th overall. Prior to his retirement, he started 71 games at right tackle for SF, playing all 16 regular season contests in his first four years before being limited to seven games in 2014. Davis dealt with hamstring and knee issues, and also battled concussion problems, which may have contributed to his decision to step away from the game temporarily in 2015. It remains to be seen whether he’ll try and return for 2016.
Here’s more out of San Francisco:
Quarterback Colin Kaepernick will not be cleared in time to participate in the 49ers’ minicamp this week, a source tells Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (on Twitter). The hope is that Kaep will get the green light closer to training camp.
At Central Florida, Bruce Miller made his name as a defensive end. Then, when he was drafted by the 49ers, he was asked to move to fullback. However, coach Chip Kelly isn’t interested in using a fullback, so he now has Miller working out at both tight end and wide receiver, as Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee writes. If the former seventh-round pick can’t adjust to the new role, however, he may not have a spot on San Francisco’s roster.
Recently, free agent wide receiver James Jonesindicated that he would like to join the 49ers. Of course, at this stage of the offseason, Jones isn’t in a position to be picky. Jones is intrigued by staying close to home in SF and would like to join a contender, but he confesses that he’ll “play wherever.”
Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett and Chiefs running back Spencer Ware have both hired Relativity Sports for representation, according to Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Journal (Twitterlinks). Ware isn’t even eligible for restricted free agency until 2017, so Bennett is the more notable name here, since the standout pass rusher wants Seattle to rework his deal.
As Gregg Bell of The News Tribune details (via Twitter), head coach Pete Carroll said today that he has spoken to Bennett about his situation, though it’s probably on the back-burner for now. Unless the Seahawks feel they could rework Bennett’s contract in a way that would create some cap space for free agency, the team likely won’t address it until the spring.
Here’s more from out of the NFL’s West divisions:
A day after GM Trent Baalke insisted that Colin Kaepernick will “absolutely” remain on the 49ers’ roster beyond his April 1st salary guarantee deadline, head coach Chip Kelly told reporters, including Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com, that he has spoken to the QB several times, and believes Kaepernick want to be in San Francisco. “I don’t know what the narrative is that, ‘Is he on the team? Is he not on the team?'” Kelly said. “It’s never been a question. I’m excited to work with Colin. I’ve never thought that, ‘Hey, I’m going to go to San Francisco and he’s not going to be there.'”
According to GM Tom Telesco, the Chargers‘ tight end position is “in flux” (Twitter link via Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego). Both Antonio Gates and Ladarius Green are among San Diego’s free agents and Telesco said he’ll meet with their agents at the combine this week.
Telesco also said today that the Chargers‘ wide receiver depth is “not as strong with Malcom [Floyd] not being there” (Twitter link via Gehlken). Needless to say, San Diego is firmly in the market for more help at the position, and is hunting specifically for a deep threat.
The Cardinals will have a handful of key contributors eligible for free agency this offseason, and if you ask the players on the roster which of those free-agents-to-be is the most important to re-sign, you won’t necessarily get the same answer. While one Cardinals player suggested to Zach Buchanan of the Arizona Republic that locking up safety Rashad Johnson should be the team’s top priority, another gave his vote to an offensive tackle.
“Bobby [Massie],” the player said. “I thought he had a great year. Whether he stays here or whether he doesn’t, he’s going to get paid a lot of money.”
As we wait to see how the Cardinals approach their offseason, let’s check in on a few more items from out of the NFC West….
The Cardinals may have a few notable players eligible for free agency, but head coach Bruce Arians remains excited about how the roster looks for 2016, writes Kyle Odegard of AZCardinals.com. “Looking at the team that’s coming back versus where we were this time last year, very few holes to fill,” Arians said. “[GM] Steve [Keim]’s already off starting to do it and this offseason already has begun.”
While Chip Kelly should have the final say on who the 49ers‘ starting quarterback will be in 2016, team management would like to see Colin Kaepernick get another opportunity, according to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report (video link). Cole indicates that the 49ers front office views Kaepernick’s $11.9MM base salary as reasonable for a starting quarterback, and believes he has the potential to bounce back under Kelly.
Kelly didn’t use a fullback during his three seasons as the head coach in Philadelphia. What does that mean for 49ers fullback Bruce Miller? Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com examines the issue, suggesting it’s not a lock that Miller will be looking for a new home this offseason.
Following up on John Schneider‘s comments about the Seahawks planning to bring back tight end Jimmy Graham next season, Sheil Kapadia of ESPN.com breaks down why it makes sense to take the GM at his word.
You have questions about Kam Chancellor‘s holdout with the Seahawks and Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times has answers. Condotta notes that there is precedent for a player coming back to the team after holding out deep into training camp – former Jaguars star Maurice Jones-Drew held out for 38 days in 2012 before coming back and playing the season. It seems quite possible that the two sides could work something out, but the Seahawks are afraid of setting a dangerous precedent and it is unlikely that the safety will get everything he is asking for. Here’s more out of the West divisions..
The Seahawks refuse to do anything to Chancellor’s contract, one league source tells Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. At this point, Florio believes the only questions remaining are whether Chancellor will cave and whether the Seahawks will waive all or part of daily fines in the amount of $30K.
Niners fullback Bruce Miller continues to be under review for discipline under the NFL’s policy on personal conduct more than two months after pleading no contest to disturbing the peace, a source told Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. Miller, 28, a four-year NFL veteran, has started 42 of the 61 career games in which he has appeared. On Wednesday, 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brookswas charged with sexual battery.
It took nearly six months, but Broncos GM John Elway properly repaid his Hall of Fame quarterback for giving back $4MM in salary with the blockbuster signing of Evan Mathis on Tuesday, Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post writes. Mathis, 33, figures to bring the kind of experience and skill that Denver’s offensive line desperately needs. Without Manning’s paycut, the deal would not have been possible for the Broncos.
In a mailbag on Wednesday, a reader asked Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post if Montee Ball be in danger of being traded by the Broncos. Renck isn’t ready to say that Ball is on his way out of Denver, but he says that he has to make a strong impression on coaches for the remainder of the preseason.
“I don’t lose one minute’s sleep or even think about it,” Arians said when asked about where he stands on Washington, who was suspended in 2014 for a drug policy violation and still faces a likely suspension for his domestic violence case. “Until he becomes a Cardinal again, it’s a waste of breath.”
If he is reinstated, however, Arians says that the players want him back in the locker room and he won’t get in the way of that. Here’s more from the NFC West..
Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson says he’s prepared to play this season without a new deal though he hopes to stay in Seattle for a long time, Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times tweets. It’ll be interesting to see how recent deals for Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill and Panthers QB Cam Newton will affect Wilson’s talks with Seattle.
Fullback Bruce Miller is expected to rejoin the 49ers for their offseason program after pleading no contest Tuesday to misdemeanor disturbing the peace in connection with a March 5 argument with his former fiancée, Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee writes. Miller, 27, must attend a 16-week domestic violence counseling course as part of his plea, and he is barred from contact with his ex-fiancee. He is expected to be sentenced in about six months, after he has completed the program.
Former 49ers and Bears defensive tackle Ray McDonald‘s former fiancee said in court records that McDonald repeatedly attacked her over several months, The Associated Press writes. In the document, the ex-fiancee wrote that McDonald began a pattern of “verbal abuse and controlling behavior” in February 2014 after the couple got engaged and that escalated into “full attacks.”