The Giants waived quarterback Kyle Lauletta as a part of their moves to reach the 53-man roster limit. The move leaves Alex Tanney as the No. 3 QB behind starter Eli Manning and first-round pick Daniel Jones.
Between an October arrest and a poor professional debut, Lauletta dug himself into a bit of a hole. Although the 2018 fourth-round pick is just 24 and had enough upside to merit a mid-round selection, the 31-year-old Tanney edged him out in practice. This, perhaps, isn’t a huge surprise after the G-Men signed him to a two-year, $2.1MM contract with $775K guaranteed.
Besides Lauletta, here’s how the Giants got to the limit.
- DT Chris Slayton
- RB Jon Hilliman
- WR TJ Jones
- WR Reggie White, Jr.
- TE C.J. Conrad
- TE Jake Powell
- OL Paul Adams
- OL Evan Brown
- OL Malcolm Bunche
- OL James O’Hagan
- DL Freedom Akinmoladun
- DL Jake Ceresna
- DL John Jenkins
- LB Joey Alfieri,
- LB Jake Carlock
- LB Terrence Fede
- LB Avery Moss
- LB Josiah Tauaefa
- DB Tenny Adewusi
- DB Terrell Sinkfield, Jr.
- P Johnny Townsend
- LS Taybor Pepper.
- LB Keion Adams
- DB Kenny Ladler
- OT Victor Salako
- DB Henre’ Toliver
- WR Alex Wesley
- OT Chad Wheeler
- DB Ronald Zamort
Waived off the commissioner’s exempt list:
- DB Kamrin Moore
Placed on IR:
Here’s the latest from the workout circuit. All links to veteran NFL reporter Howard Balzer’s Twitter account, unless otherwise specified.
New York Giants
- LB Jonathan Anderson, CB De’Vante Bausby, DE Will Clark, QB Connor Cook, WR Marcus Easley, WR Brittan Golden, DT Woodrow Hamilton, RB Akeem Hunt, T Roubbens Joseph, LB Corey Nelson, DT Chris Okoye, WR Francis Owusu, LS Taybor Pepper, T Dan Skipper, LB Aaron Wallace, S Terrell Williams (Twitter links via Balzer and ESPN.com’s Jordan Raanan)
- FB Dimitri Flowers, FB Jalson Fowler, FB Malcolm Johnson, FB Aaron Ripkowski (Twitter link via Sirius XM Radio’s Adam Caplan)
Today’s minor moves:
- Designated to return from injured reserve: S Colt Anderson
Green Bay Packers
- Signed off Broncos‘ practice squad: OL Dillon Day
- Waived: FB Joe Kerridge
New York Giants
New York Jets
- Waived from injured reserve: LB Edmond Robinson
- Waived: LB Kache Palacio
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Promoted to active roster: S Fish Smithson
- Placed on injured reserve: S Montae Nicholson
In theory, both players could be eligible to return on December 4th for the Cards’ home contest against the Redskins. However, that will depend on the condition of each player and the team will also have to prioritize them against other candidates to return from IR. Each team can have a player return to action after eight weeks, but they can do only do so with one player.
Johnson had 95 yards and one touchdown off of 28 carries this season as he played the backup role behind David Johnson. Andre Ellington, who was once supposed to be the main guy in Arizona, now moves into the No. 2 RB role.
To replace Johnson on the roster, the team officially re-signed running back Kerwynn Williams. Also, with Carson Palmer‘s status in the air (concussion), the team also promoted quarterback Zac Dysert from the practice squad. Versatile wide receiver/defensive back Brittan Golden was promoted from the practice squad to the active roster. In other moves, punter Drew Butler (calf) was waived with an injury settlement and safety Christian Bryant was added to the practice squad. The team still has one opening on the taxi squad.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.
Listed below are the Sunday roster moves for the four NFC West teams. Following the 53-man roster cutdown deadline yesterday, many teams will make slight tweaks to their rosters, claiming players off waivers or signing guys who clear waivers. Those transactions for the Cardinals, Rams, 49ers, and Seahawks are noted below.
Additionally, as of 12:00pm CT today, teams can begin constructing their 10-man practice squads. You can check out our glossary entry on practice squads to brush up on those changes, as well as all the other guidelines that govern the 10-man units, whose players practice with the team but aren’t eligible to suit up on Sundays.
Here are Sunday’s NFC West transactions, which will continue to be updated throughout the day. All links go to Twitter unless otherwise noted:
- Signed to practice squad:
Los Angeles Rams
- Signed to practice squad
- T Isaiah Battle (Link via Vincent Bonsignore)
- CB Blake Countess (Link via Aaron Wilson)
- WR Paul McRoberts (Link via Jim Thomas)
- RB Aaron Green (Link via Thomas)
- RB Terrance Magee (Link via Thomas)
- LB Brandon Chubb (Link via Myles Simmons)
- DL Morgan Fox (Link via Simmons)
- DB Michael Jordan (Link via Simmons)
San Francisco 49ers
- Signed to practice squad:
- Signed to practice squad:
- DT Tylor Harris (Link via Aaron Wilson)
- TE Marcus Lucas (Link via Joe Person)
- G Robert Myers (Link via Wilson)
- LB Jordan Tripp (Link via Wilson)
- WR Kasen Williams (Link via Wilson)
- WR Kenny Lawler (Link via Sheil Kapadia)
- LB Kache Palacio (Link via Sheil Kapadia)
- OL Will Pericak (Link via Sheil Kapadia)
- WR Rodney Smith (Link via Sheil Kapadia)
The Cardinals will release defensive lineman Red Bryant, reports Josina Anderson of ESPN (on Twitter). The 32-year-old Bryant, who was previously a starter in Seattle and Jacksonville, played sparingly in six games with the Cardinals last season. The club brought him back on a one-year deal in March, but he wasn’t able to crack its roster.
The club’s full list of cuts is as follows:
With contending teams vying for playoff spots and fighting for higher seeds, and non-contenders perhaps taking a longer look at younger players down the stretch, we can expect teams to make plenty of minor tweaks to their 53-man rosters this week. Here are Tuesday’s minor transactions, with the latest moves added to the top of the list throughout the day:
- According to the league transaction wire, quarterback Chandler Harnish has been released by the Vikings, tweets Matt Vensel of the Star Tribune. Harnish was under an injured designation with a foot injury.
- The Browns have made room for the addition of Andrew McDonald (noted below) by waiving linebacker Zac Diles, the club announced today (Twitter link).
- The Buccaneers have released cornerback Crezdon Butler, and will likely announce more moves on Wednesday, according to Scott Smith of Buccaneers.com (Twitter link). One possible replacement for Butler could be former safety Mistral Raymond — a source tells Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun (Twitter link) that the former Viking worked out for Tampa Bay today.
- The Raiders have plucked a player from across the bay, signing cornerback Chance Casey from off the 49ers’ practice squad, according to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com (Twitter link).
- A day after being cut by the Colts, offensive tackle Andrew McDonald has been claimed off waivers by the Browns, according to agent Brett Tessler (Twitter link). It’s not clear yet who is coming off Cleveland’s roster to make room for the new addition.
- Cornerback Josh Thomas, who apparently lost his playbook recently, won’t be needing it back now — he was released by the Jets today, according to the team (Twitter link). New York called up safety Rontez Miles from the practice squad to take Thomas’ place on the roster.
- Offensive tackle J’Marcus Webb has been cut by the Vikings, the team announced today (Twitter link). Webb’s release comes on the heels of his missed block that led to a blocked field goal during Sunday’s loss to the Lions.
- Having already made multiple roster moves today, the Ravens completed a couple more, placing running back Lorenzo Taliaferro on the injured reserve list and signed former defensive tackle Casey Walker off the Patriots’ practice squad, the club announced in a press release. Baltimore still has an open spot on its 53-man roster.
- The Titans have swapped tight ends on their active roster, signing Matthew Mulligan and placing Brett Brackett on injured reserve, says Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean (Twitter links). Brackett’s season comes to a premature end due to a knee issue.
- The Cardinals have placed defensive tackle Ed Stinson on injured reserve, ending his season, per Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com (via Twitter). Taking Stinson’s place on the roster is wide receiver Brittan Golden, promoted from Arizona’s practice squad.
- The Falcons cleared a roster spot by placing cornerback Robert Alford on injured reserve yesterday with a wrist issue, and will fill that spot today by promoting cornerback Ricardo Allen from their practice squad, a source tells Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com (Twitter link). The team has since confirmed the move (via Twitter).
- Agent Mike McCartney indicated today (via Twitter) that his client, offensive lineman Ryan Jensen, has received a promotion from the Ravens‘ practice squad to the team’s 53-man roster. It’s not clear yet whose spot Jensen is taking, but defensive backs Asa Jackson and Terrence Brooks are both expected to be placed on IR this week.
Listed below are the Sunday roster moves for the four NFC West teams. Following the 53-man roster cutdown deadline yesterday, many teams will make slight tweaks to their rosters, claiming players off waivers or signing guys who clear waivers. Those transactions are noted below.
Additionally, as of 11:00am CT today, teams can begin constructing their 10-man practice squads. For the 2014 and 2015 seasons, changes were made to practice squad rules that allow teams to carry eight players instead of 10, and the eligibility requirements for those extra two spots were also loosened. You can check out our glossary entry on practice squads to brush up on those changes, as well as all the other guidelines that govern the 10-man units, whose players practice with the team but aren’t eligible to suit up on Sundays.
Here are Sunday’s NFC West transactions, which will continue to be updated throughout the day:
- Claimed off waivers (officially announced): Thomas Keiser, LB
- Cut (officially announced): Walter Powell, WR
- Signed to practice squad (officially announced): Jonathan Brown, LB; Brittan Golden, WR; Andre Hardy, TE; Jimmy Legree, CB; Kelvin Palmer, T; Anthony Steen, C/G; Anthony Gaitor (via Jenna Laine on Twitter)
San Francisco 49ers:
- Signed to practice squad (officially announced): Carter Bykowski, OT; Asante Cleveland, TE; John Fullington, OT (via Eric Branch on Twitter); Lance Lewis, WR; Lawrence Okoye, DE; Mike Purcell, DT; Shayne Skov, LB; Chase Thomas, LB
- Signed to practice squad (officially announced): Jimmy Staten, DT (Staten on Twitter), RaShaun Allen, TE; Demitrius Bronson, RB; B.J. Daniels, QB; Nate Isles, OT; Chris Matthews, WR; Terrance Parks, S; Steven Terrell, S.
St. Louis Rams:
Yesterday, the Cardinals released two notable veterans. Today, the team continued trimming their roster down to 53 players. The moves were officially announced in a press release, and the transactions are listed below:
- Zach Bauman, RB
- Philip Blake, OG
- Jonathan Brown, LB
- Bruce Gaston, DT
- Brittan Golden, WR
- Andre Hardy, TE
- Jimmy Legree, CB
- Kelvin Palmer, OT
- Anthony Steen, OG
- Adrian Tracy, LB
- Christian Tupou, DT
- Anthony Walters, S
- Teddy Williams, CB
Released with injury settlement:
- Nate Potter, OT
Placed on Injured Reserve: