After initially being slated to return to game action in Week 5, Melvin Gordon could get a head-start. The Chargers’ injury situation may move their back-in-the-fold Pro Bowler into action Sunday in Miami.
Anthony Lynn said Gordon could play in a limited capacity against the Dolphins, Eric Williams of ESPN.com tweets. This comes after the 26-year-old back ended his holdout Wednesday. Gordon, however, was to be held out for a week.
Justin Jackson is out with a strained calf, leaving Austin Ekeler and Troymaine Pope as the only running backs currently on Los Angeles’ 53-man roster. Gordon will need to be activated by the Saturday-afternoon deadline in order to play, but the Bolts will do so, it appears. The two-time Pro Bowl back will travel with the team to Miami.
Lynn said earlier this week Gordon will reclaim his starting job upon returning. That would stand to be the case in Week 5, likely with Ekeler retaining a major role in the Bolts’ offense, but the duo’s roles could be reverse in this in-case-of-emergency situation Sunday.
Gordon finished last season with 1,375 yards from scrimmage in 12 games. He will be a major boost to a Chargers team that’s dropped to 1-2.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.