Raiders Release WR John Brown

John Brown is back in free agency. The veteran wide receiver requested his release from the Raiders, who honored that request, Tom Pelissero of NFL.com tweets.

Although Brown played well for the Bills, he was not trending toward having a surefire role with the Raiders. Las Vegas signed the 31-year-old speedster earlier this year and guaranteed him more than $3MM, making this a disadvantageous financial move for the Jon Gruden-led regime. Though, offset language — should Brown land another gig this season — could come into play.

The Raiders have 2020 draftees Henry Ruggs and Bryan Edwards in place for key roles, with Hunter Renfrow and veterans Willie Snead and Zay Jones on their roster as well. Darren Waller also serves as Vegas’ de facto No. 1 receiver, creating a different dynamic for the team’s wideouts.

Brown battled injury issues in 2020 but topped 1,000 yards in ’19, helping Josh Allen progress in his second season. Brown has two 1,000-yard slates on his resume, getting there with the Cardinals in 2015, and figures to catch on elsewhere soon.

Raiders Cut Karl Joseph

The Raiders are releasing Karl Joseph (Twitter link via Vincent Bonsignore of the Review Journal). The safety returned to the Raiders earlier this year, but it proved to be a short-lived reunion.

I never wanted to leave,” Joseph said earlier this year. “This is my home. I was drafted here. I feel like I was born to be a Raider.”

Joseph would’ve still been a Raider in 2020 if the team hadn’t declined his fifth-year option. The 2016 first-rounder spent last year with the Browns and started eight of 14 games. He finished with his worst ever Pro Football Focus assessment. PFF viewed Joseph as better during his Raiders seasons and slotted him outside the top 70 safeties in 2020. The 27-year-old (28 in September) made 67 tackles, intercepted a pass and recovered two fumbles with Cleveland. He also added a playoff interception in Kansas City.

It felt like the right decision was to come back and help finish what I started here and be a part of that,” Joseph said back in April. “All the pieces are there. I think we’re ready to win. So whatever I’m going to need to do to help us win, that’s what I am going to do.”

Joseph won’t get that opportunity. Instead, he could be en route to his third pro team.

Minor NFL Transactions: 8/30/21

We’ll keep track of today’s minor moves here. Teams have until 3pm CT Tuesday to pare their rosters down to 53 players.

Arizona Cardinals

Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens

Buffalo Bills

Carolina Panthers

Cleveland Browns

Chicago Bears

Dallas Cowboys

Denver Broncos

Detroit Lions

Houston Texans

Indianapolis Colts

Jacksonville Jaguars

Kansas City Chiefs

Las Vegas Raiders

  • Released from IR via injury settlement: LB Darron Lee

Los Angeles Chargers

Los Angeles Rams

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New Orleans Saints

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers

Seattle Seahawks

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tennessee Titans

Washington Football Team

Raiders Waive LB Te’von Coney

The Raiders have once again moved on from Te’von Coney. The team announced this evening (via Twitter) that they’ve waived the linebacker.

Coney made a name for himself during his four seasons at Notre Dame. In 50 games (29 starts), the 6-foot-1, 230-pound linebacker compiled 314 tackles, seven sacks, and 24.5 tackles for loss. Despite his standout performance, Coney went undrafted in the 2019 draft.

In two-plus seasons with the organization, Coney has already been waived three times. He spent the majority of his rookie season on the Raiders practice squad, and he remained unsigned for much of the 2020 campaign before rejoining the Raiders earlier this month. Coney was set to earn $660K in 2021.

The Raiders have been busy adding to their linebackers corps in recent days. The team acquired Denzel Perryman from the Panthers, and they took a look at free agent Patrick Onwuasor. Las Vegas could be without Nicholas Morrow for the foreseeable future, and backup linebacker Javin White is also dealing with an injury, so it’s a bit surprising that they’ve now decided to subtract from their depth.

OL Stefen Wisniewski Announces Retirement

Stefen Wisniewski started in each of the past two Super Bowls and played 10 NFL seasons. The veteran offensive lineman will not attempt to play an 11th, announcing his retirement Thursday (via Twitter).

Although Wisniewski did not participate in a playoff game until his seventh season, the interior O-lineman started in three of the past four Super Bowls. He collected Super Bowl rings as a starting guard for the 2017 Eagles and 2019 Chiefs, and after an injury settlement with the Steelers last year, the veteran blocker found his way back to Kansas City and saw injuries thrust him into a starting role for Super Bowl LV. He played every Chiefs offensive snap in that game.

Both Wisniewski’s father and uncle (ex-Raiders Pro Bowler Steve Wisniewski) played in the NFL, and Stefen followed suit with 106 starts in his career. The Raiders drafted Stefen in the 2011 second round and plugged him into their starting lineup immediately. He spent four seasons in Oakland, starting at guard and center, before signing a one-year deal with the Jaguars in 2015. Wisniewski’s most notable contract came on his second Eagles deal — a three-year, $9MM accord — in 2017.

After beginning the ’17 season as a backup, Wisniewski started 11 regular-season games and three playoff contests for the Eagles’ first Super Bowl-winning team. The Eagles tried Isaac Seumalo and Chance Warmack at left guard initially that year, but Wisniewski proved to be the solution. Seumalo ended up taking the reins after that season, leading Wisniewski to Kansas City, where he ended up finishing his career.

Raiders Worked Out LB Patrick Onwuasor

The Raiders were apparently motivated to add a linebacker today. Before they acquired Denzel Perryman from the Panthers, the Raiders worked out veteran linebacker Patrick Onwuasor, reports ESPN’s Field Yates (via Twitter).

[RELATED: Panthers Trade LB Denzel Perryman To Raiders]

The former undrafted free agent out of Portland State turned into a reliable starter for the Ravens. Onwuasor ultimately spent four seasons in Baltimore, collecting 234 tackles, 9.5 sacks, and five forced fumbles in 58 games (32 starts). The 28-year-old joined the Jets during the 2020 offseason, but he landed on IR in early September. He was activated two months later before getting placed on IR once again, ending his season.

Onwuasor ended up getting into only one game for the Jets in 2020, appearing on eight special teams snaps without recording a tackle.

Las Vegas could be without Nicholas Morrow for the foreseeable future, and backup linebacker Javin White is also dealing with an injury. Thanks in part to that depleted depth, the Raiders acquired Perryman earlier this evening from Carolina. That trade would presumably take the Raiders out of the running for Onwuasor, although the team could look to bring in multiple players as they try to replace Morrow’s production.

Panthers Trade LB Denzel Perryman To Raiders

Denzel Perryman is heading west again. The Raiders and Panthers agreed to a deal Wednesday night that will send the veteran linebacker to Las Vegas, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets. The Panthers have announced the trade.

The former Chargers starter will return to the AFC West in a pick-swap trade, with the Panthers receiving a sixth-round pick and the Raiders acquiring Perryman and a seventh-rounder, per Schefter (on Twitter). This will represent another fresh-start attempt for Perryman and give the Raiders some help on their suddenly weakened defensive second level.

Carolina signed Perryman to a two-year, $6MM deal, guaranteeing the former second-round pick $2.99MM. The 28-year-old defender is due to earn base salaries of $990K and $1MM on this contract. The Panthers had seen Jermaine Carter perform well enough during training camp to anoint him as a starter alongside Shaq Thompson. Carter becoming Carolina’s starting middle linebacker left Perryman in limbo, a familiar position for the formerly supplanted Bolts starting inside ‘backer.

Las Vegas is currently down starter Nicholas Morrow, and Jon Gruden said the fifth-year Raider may be out a while. Backup Raiders linebacker Javin White is also on the mend, amplifying a need here. Perryman, however, has also battled injuries this year. He missed time at Panthers training camp due to a hip injury and is battling foot trouble after at teammate stepped on one of his feet this week, Joe Person of The Athletic notes (subscription required).

A bonus for Perryman’s hopes of stabilizing his career: this move will reunite him with former Chargers defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, whom the Raiders hired this year. Perryman, who will follow longtime Charger teammate Casey Hayward to Vegas, showed promise early in his career with the Bolts, recording 16 tackles for loss over his first two seasons. Injuries intervened over the next two seasons, but he later signed an extension to stay in Los Angeles. Despite the six-year vet’s playing time dwindling on that second Bolts deal — down to 31% of L.A.’s defensive snaps last season — Perryman graded as one of Pro Football Focus’ top run-defending linebackers in 2020.

Minor NFL Transactions: 8/24/21

We’ll keep track of today’s minor moves here. Teams had until 3pm today to cut their rosters down to 80 players.

Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens

  • Waived: QB Kenji Bahar

Buffalo Bills

Carolina Panthers

Cleveland Browns

Denver Broncos

Green Bay Packers

Indianapolis Colts

Jacksonville Jaguars

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Chargers

Los Angeles Rams

New England Patriots

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

  • Released from IR via injury settlement: OT Casey Tucker

Seattle Seahawks

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

  • Placed on reserve/COVID-19 list: K Ryan Succop
  • Waived/injured: OT Chidi Okeke

Tennessee Titans

Washington Football Team

Minor NFL Transactions: 8/23/21

We’ll keep track of today’s minor moves here. Teams have until 4pm ET/3pm CT Tuesday to reach the 80-man roster limit.

Arizona Cardinals

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Chicago Bears

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Dallas Cowboys

Denver Broncos

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Houston Texans

Indianapolis Colts 

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Rams

Minnesota Vikings

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

Seattle Seahawks

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

  • Signed: OT Jonathan Hubbard
  • Released from IR via injury settlement: Sam Renner

Tennessee Titans

Raiders Tried To Reacquire Khalil Mack From Bears

Lacking an impact pass rusher since trading Khalil Mack to the Bears in 2018, the Raiders signed Yannick Ngakoue to bolster their defensive end corps in March. However, before that agreement came to pass, the team hatched a rather unusual plan.

Just before signing Ngakoue, the Raiders contacted the Bears about reacquiring Mack, Vic Tafur of The Athletic reports (subscription required). Both the Bears and Raiders made cap-related moves this spring, each shedding some starters for financial reasons. The Raiders wondered if the Bears, who would soon shop Kyle Fuller before making him a cap casualty, would send Mack back to them amid their cap crunch.

In what still had to be a fascinating phone call on the Bears’ end, they told the Raiders they were not interested in trading Mack, Tafur adds. Mack, now 30, is going into his fourth season with Chicago. The Bears’ top pass-rushing cogs — Mack, Robert Quinn, Akiem Hicks — are all north of 30 now. But the team was not interested in what would have been one of the more interesting trades in modern NFL history, given the nature of Mack’s Oakland exit three summers ago.

The Raiders’ decisions to extend Derek Carr and Gabe Jackson in the summer of 2017 while making Mack wait — a common practice made possible by the fifth-year option being included in first-rounders’ deals — irked Mack, per Tafur. And the Raiders devoting funds to lower-profile free agents during Jon Gruden‘s first months back in power bothered the pass rusher to the point he broke off contact with the team. The Raiders signed a host of midlevel free agents that March — from Jordy Nelson to Rashaan Melvin to Tahir Whitehead — and Mark Davis said in 2018 Mack refused to talk to Gruden and then-GM Reggie McKenzie going forward.

Davis cited Carr’s contract when addressing whether the Raiders could afford Mack, and Gruden noted that year the Raiders’ extension offer to Mack was not close to the six-year, $141MM contract he signed with the Bears post-trade. The Raiders received two first-round picks, a 2020 third and a 2019 sixth for Mack. They drafted Josh Jacobs and Damon Arnette with the first-rounders, while the Bears took Cole Kmet with the 2020 second-rounder they collected in the September 2018 blockbuster.

Mack, who is 3-for-3 in Pro Bowls with the Bears, is signed through the 2024 season. Pro Football Focus graded Mack as the No. 1 edge defender in 2020, despite his lower sack (nine) and QB-hit (13) totals. The Bears did end up using Mack’s contract to create cap space, restructuring it around the same time the Raiders phoned. Moving Mack before the 2023 offseason would bring forth significant dead-money charges for the Bears. On the Raiders’ end, they gave Ngakoue a two-year, $26MM deal. He will pair with Maxx Crosby and former No. 4 overall pick Clelin Ferrell, who has not lived up to that draft slot to this point.

Show all