The Titans overhauled the bottom of their roster this morning, according to Jim Wyatt of TitansOnline.com. The team added four players: running back Akeem Hunt, defensive end Eric Cotton, receiver DeAngelo Yancey and linebacker Ukeme Eligwe. The Titans also activated Jurrell Casey from the Physically Unable to Perform list.
To make room on the roster, the team made a series of roster moves: receiver Jalen Tolliver was waived, while linebacker Riley Bullough and offensive lineman Cody Conway were waived/injured. Wide receiver Cameron Batson and linebacker D’Andre Walker, a fifth-rounder out of Georgia, was placed on injured reserve.
Hunt is the most notable name among the additions, as the 26-year-old has appeared in 30 games during his four-year career. Hunt’s last stint in the NFL came in 2017, when he appeared in a career-high 15 games for the Chiefs. The running back finished that season with 23 rushing yards on eight attempts, and he added another 31 yards on four receptions. He also had 25 kick returns and five special teams tackles.
Yancey, a 2017 fifth-round pick out of Purdue, hasn’t seen the field for a regular season game. He’s had stints with the Packers, Jets, and Titans. Eligwe, a 2017 fifth-rounder out of Georgia Southern, has 12 career tackles in 24 games with the Giants and Chiefs. Cotton, a former undrafted free agent out of Stanford, had a previous stint with the Packers.
Casey suffered a knee injury towards the end of last season that ended up shelving him for training camp. The four-time Pro Bowler recently passed his physical, and he’ll immediately take his starting gig on the defensive line.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.
Today’s minor moves:
- Signed: LB Nicholas Grigsby
- Released from injured reserve: OL Jeremiah Sirles
- Signed: LB Justin Phillips
- Waived: G Larry Allen Jr.
Green Bay Packers
- Claimed off waivers: DE Markus Jones
- Waived/injured: CB Javien Hamilton
- Waived: P Stone Wilson
- Waived: WR Daniel Williams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Claimed off waivers: T William Poehls
- Signed: WR Matt Eaton, TE Scott Orndoff
- Waived: TE Donnie Ernsberger, T Riley Mayfield
- Waived/injured: S Orion Stewart
Here are Tuesday’s practice squad updates.
- Signed: DB Taveze Calhoun
Kansas City Chiefs
- Signed: TE David Wells
Los Angeles Rams
New England Patriots
- Signed: RB Lavon Coleman
Monday’s minor moves:
- Placed on IR: CB Maurice Canady
Los Angeles Rams
- Placed on IR: WR Michael Thomas
- Signed: S Maurice Smith
- Waived: WR Jehu Chesson
The Titans have signed a host of undrafted free agents to their offseason roster. Here’s the full rundown:
- P/K Austin Barnard (Samford)
- WR Cameron Batson (Texas Tech)
- WR Deontay Burnett (USC)
- RB Dalyn Dawkins (Colorado State)
- ILB Nick DeLuca (North Dakota State)
- OT Matthew Diaz (Wagner)
- DE Matt Dickerson (UCLA)
- C Nico Falah (USC)
- OLB Sharif Finch (Temple)
- CB Rico Gafford (Wyoming)
- CB Elijaah Goins (Ohio State)
- S Joshua Kalu (Nebraska)
- CB Ryan McKinley (Montana)
- OT Elijah Nkansah (Toledo)
- DT Mike Ramsay (Duke)
- RB Larry Rose (New Mexico State)
- WR Devin Ross (Colorado)
- OG Aaron Stinnie (James Madison)
- WR Jordan Veasy (California)
- RB Akrum Wadley (Iowa)
- S Damon Webb (Ohio State)
- TE Ethan Wolf (Tennessee)
Finch received a larger-than-average $42K guarantee to sign with the Titans (as noted by NFL.com’s Tom Pelissero, on Twitter), so he may have a better shot than most of making the final cut. Finch, a 6’5″, 250-pound edge rusher, recorded five blocked punts at Temple using his exceptional wingspan. While he lacks pass rushing technique, the Titans probably feel that he has potential as a special teams contributor.
The Titans had only a four-man draft class this year, which necessitated a large UDFA class.