Jay Cutler

Jay Cutler, Jets Couldn’t Line Up Visit

Jay Cutler is going from the field to the broadcast booth this year, but before announcing his retirement, Cutler explored his options. The Jets were among the clubs to reach out to Cutler after he was released by the Bears, but timing was ultimately an issue and the two sides never wound up meeting, the quarterback tells ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter (audio link). Jay Cutler (Vertical)

[RELATED: Jets Notes: Eric Decker, Robby Anderson]

The stars didn’t really align for me to get out there,” Cutler said (transcript via PFT). “By the time I was scheduled to get out there, my buddy Josh ]McCown] had taken a visit and they worked something out with him. It all worked out. I’m happy for him.”

When the Jets reached out to Cutler, the quarterback was up front with the team and said that he wasn’t sure if he wanted to continue playing. While Cutler was on the fence, the Jets shifted focus to McCown. Reading between the lines, it sounds like Cutler might have continued playing in 2017 had things timed out better between him and Gang Green.

Cutler reportedly also had “strong” interest in joining the Texans, but things didn’t work out on that front either. For now, Cutler’s playing days are in the rear view mirror as he gears up for his new career with FOX, but it’s clear that the QB still has some desire to play. If the right opportunity comes along for Cutler in the next year or two, it seems possible that he’ll listen.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Jay Cutler Had “Strong” Interest In Texans

Before he signed with FOX to become a color commentator last week, longtime NFL quarterback Jay Cutler had “strong” interest in playing for the Texans, sources told Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle.

"<strong

While the Texans did kick the tires on Cutler after the Bears released him earlier this offseason, they elected against signing him, mainly because of Bill O’Brien. The head coach has a higher opinion of Tom Savage, who’s in line to open the season as the Texans’ starter. Long after considering Cutler, Houston traded up in the first round of last month’s draft to select former Clemson star Deshaun Watson, who they hope will serve as their long-term answer under center.

On the heels of an injury-marred 2016 in Chicago, the Jets were the only team that seriously mulled adding the 34-year-old Cutler as a stopgap. Cutler was reportedly uninterested in joining a rebuilding club, though, and prospective contenders didn’t want any part of him as a starter. Because of that, Cutler’s now a member of the media on what he calls a “permanent” basis.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Jay Cutler: Career Change Is “Permanent”

After news broke Friday that Jay Cutler was joining the NFL on FOX, there was skepticism on whether he was committed to leaving his playing career behind for good. But the longtime starting quarterback tried to put those doubts to rest later Friday, telling Waddle & Silvy of WMVP-AM in Chicago that his exit from the field is indeed “permanent” (via Kevin Patra of NFL.com). At the same time, the former Bronco and Bear acknowledged that he’ll miss playing when the season inches closer.

Jay Cutler

“There is zero doubt in my mind that there is going to be some regret,” Cutler said. “I have no doubt in my mind come the middle of August, September there is going to be that itch to play. There is going to be part of me that I know I can still do it. But that’s now how the cards played out, and that’s not where we are at. I just don’t feel comfortable with a situation in August or September of jumping back into it, even if that situation arises, which I don’t think it’s going to.”

In an ideal world for the 34-year-old Cutler, he would still be a starting quarterback for someone, but he didn’t encounter much interest in free agency after a less-than-stellar, injury-shortened 2016 campaign. Cutler appeared in just five games last season in his eighth and final year in Chicago, which went an even 51-51 in his starts. Cutler would not have considered ending his playing career had the Bears kept him, nor would he have pondered a broadcasting job, he told WMVP-AM.

“There’s no way in hell I’m doing this,” Cutler thought when FOX first approached him. “This is literally the last thing I want to do.”

Cutler came around on the idea, though, and is now set to join play-by-play man Kevin Burkhardt and color commentator Charles Davis in a three-man booth next season. He’s the second big-name signal-caller to abruptly give up playing in favor of broadcasting this offseason, joining former Cowboy and-now CBS color announcer Tony Romo.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Jay Cutler Retires, Signs With FOX

Former Bears quarterback Jay Cutler is retiring in order to pursue a new career. He’s joining FOX’s NFL team, as Peter Schrager of NFL Network tweets. Cutler will be in a three-man booth alongside play-by-play announcer Kevin Burkhardt and fellow color commentator Charles Davis. Jay Cutler (Vertical)

Before deciding to go to FOX, Cutler had real discussions with the Jets and less-promising talks with the Texans, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets. In a statement issued to Adam Jahns of the Sun Times, Cutler admits that he did not find a ton of interest on the open market this offseason.

I don’t know if retirement is the right word; I don’t feel that anyone ever really retires from the NFL. You are either forced to leave, or you lose the desire to do what’s required to keep going. I’m in between those situations at this point in my life,” Cutler said.

Not everyone is convinced that Cutler is done playing football, however. Mike Garafolo of NFL Network (video link) gets the sense that he would get back on the field if a team offered him a starting job and starter money to go along with it. In theory, the three-man booth protects FOX against Cutler leaving to join a team midseason because Burkhardt and Davis could move forward as a two-man team.

Cutler wasn’t necessarily warm and fuzzy towards the media during his playing days, so it will be interesting to see him in the broadcast booth. However, Cutler has extensive experience playing in the NFC and that should help his transition to FOX. Those close to Cutler also say that he’s well-suited for TV.

I think Jay Cutler would be on point as an analyst,” guard Kyle Long told Jahns. “He’s one of the most cerebral guys I’ve ever played with, one of the most well-spoken guys I’ve played with. Whether the public knows it or not, he actually is a funny, nice, cool guy. [Media members] have seen that side of him sometimes. You’ve also seen Jay when he’s having maybe not the best day. Unfortunately, that’s kind of the all-encompassing stigma there. But I think if you see him in a suit and he’s got his hair done and he’s got that beard lined up, people will fall in love with Jay Cutler again.”

In his 11 NFL seasons for the Broncos and Bears, Cutler amassed a career 68-71 record. With the Bears, he went 52-52 across eight seasons (including the playoffs). His best season came in 2008 for Denver when he threw for more than 4,500 yards and 25 touchdowns. That season earned Cutler his sole career Pro Bowl selection. In 2016, he made five starts and was a far cry from the best version of himself.fre

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Jay Cutler May Retire To Pursue TV Career

Former Bears quarterback Jay Cutler is thinking about a career change. Unable to garner interest from teams as a starter, Cutler is exploring a move to television, TV sources and people with knowledge of Cutler’s thinking tell Mike Garafolo of NFL.com. Jay Cutler

Cutler’s camp has talked with TV execs about the possible switch and he auditioned for FOX, Jeff Dickerson of ESPN.com tweets. It’s not clear if he has started talking contract with any network, but he is at least serious about making the jump.

Recently, agent Bus Cook insisted that Cutler does not plan on retiring. However, it sounds like the 34-year-old would rather go the Tony Romo route than to serve as someone’s backup or simply wait by the phone for when a quarterback gets injured.

In his 11 NFL seasons for the Broncos and Bears, Cutler amassed a career 68-71 record. His best season came in 2008 for Denver when he threw for more than 4,500 yards and 25 touchdowns. That season earned Cutler his sole career Pro Bowl selection. In 2016, he made five starts and was a far cry from the best version of himself.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Agent: Jay Cutler Has No Plans To Retire

While previous reports have indicated otherwise, free agent quarterback Jay Cutler does not intend to retire, his agent Bus Cook tells Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (Facebook link).Jay Cutler (vertical)

“Jay wants to play football,” Cook said. “He never has mentioned retirement to me. Jay Cutler, as far as I know, is ready to play and wants to play, and his skill set is as good as any quarterback in the league.”

Cutler, 34 on Saturday, has only been directly linked to two clubs this offseason: the Jets and the Texans. Gang Green reached out to Cutler in mid-March, but quickly lost interest after signing fellow veteran quarterback Josh McCown. Houston, meanwhile, expressed “mild interest” in Cutler at some point in recent weeks, but head coach Bill O’Brien reportedly prefers incumbent Tom Savage to Cutler.

That no team has been overly enthused about Cutler is unsurprising given both his likely salary demands and the results of his 2016 campaign, during which he was hampered by injuries and managed a Total Quarterback Rating of just 33.1 in five starts. Still, Cutler ranks as PFR’s No. 1 free agent quarterback, and he figures to land a contract at some point (if he wants one).

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Texans Had “Mild” Interest In Jay Cutler

The Texans contacted free agent quarterback Jay Cutler with “mild” interest, but head coach Bill O’Brien prefers incumbent Tom Savage to Cutler, according to Jeff Dickerson of ESPN.com. After the Brock Osweiler fiasco of 2016, Houston’s front office decided to yield to O’Brien, and discussions with Cutler ended.Jay Cutler

Cutler hasn’t generated much of a market thus far during the free agent period, as only the Jets have expressed real interest. New York isn’t an option after signing Josh McCown, leaving the Texans as one obvious suitor. But Houston reportedly wasn’t interested in Cutler — or another veteran quarterback, Colin Kaepernick — even after learning Tony Romo was no longer a possibility. At present, the Texans have only two signal-callers on the roster: Savage and Brandon Weeden.

That depth chart figures to change in the coming weeks, however, as Houston is fully expected to land a quarterback in the draft. O’Brien “absolutely loves” Texas Tech passer Patrick Mahomes, and the Texans may indeed select Mahomes if he falls to No. 25. Other options in the draft might include Mitch Trubisky, Deshaun Watson, and DeShone Kizer in the first round, or Davis Webb, Nathan Peterman, or Brad Kaaya on Day 2 or 3.

Cutler, meanwhile, is still considering the possibility of retirement. If no other clubs jump in with interest, Cutler’s decision to hang up his cleats may not be voluntary.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Jay Cutler Still Mulling Retirement

Back in February, Jay Cutler was said to be mulling retirement. That’s still an option for the free agent quarterback, according to a league source who spoke with ESPN.com’s Roman Modrowski"<strong

The soon-to-be 34-year-old quarterback has been linked to the Jets, but we haven’t really heard his name in recent weeks. After earning upwards of $100MM over the course of his career, Cutler might not want to take the punishment of another NFL season. He might be motivated to try and leave the game as a winning quarterback, but the Jets won’t offer him a good chance at that and most contending clubs would only consider him as a backup. His only chance at starting for a playoff-caliber team would be with the Texans, but it’s not clear if they have interest.

In his 11 NFL seasons for the Broncos and Bears, Cutler has amassed a career 68-71 record. His best season came in 2008 for Denver when he threw for more than 4,500 yards and 25 touchdowns. That season earned Cutler his sole career Pro Bowl selection.

I have Cutler ranked as the best quarterback still available on the open market, ahead of Colin Kaepernick and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Extra Points: Cutler, Lynch, 49ers, Eagles

Free agent quarterback Jay Cutler continues to mull retirement, reports Adam Caplan of ESPN.com. The Jets have been the only team to show real interest in the 34-year-old since the Bears released him in March, and Gang Green went on to sign a different veteran, one of Cutler’s former backups in Josh McCown. It seems the Jets would have added Cutler had he been willing to sign with them, as Caplan writes that he wasn’t gung-ho on joining a rebuilding club. As a playoff-caliber team without an obvious answer under center, the Texans and Cutler could theoretically be a match, but they’re uninterested in signing him. Cutler has started in all 139 of his appearances, so it would be understandable if he’d rather walk away from football than continue as a backup.

More from around the game:

  • Retired running back Marshawn Lynch, who’s considering returning to the league, was involved in an unflattering incident at Los Angeles International Airport on Monday, video of which is available courtesy of TMZ. Lynch smacked a cellphone out of the hand of an autograph seeker, cracking the screen, and that person is now considering filing a police report for assault. The league declined to comment on the run-in, per Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.
  • Contrary to a report from Tuesday, the 49ers aren’t ready to give up on running back Carlos Hyde, according to general manager John Lynch. They’re actually “really high on” Hyde, who’s “a very talented young man,” per Lynch (via Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle). It wouldn’t necessarily be wise to take Lynch’s comments at face value here, though Hyde did make his case to continue as San Francisco’s No. 1 back when he posted a 4.6 yards-per-carry average on 217 attempts and combined for nine touchdowns last season.
  • The Eagles have worked out Missouri defensive end Charles Harris, writes Tim McManus of ESPN.com. The potential first-rounder totaled nine sacks last season during his final year with the Tigers. Harris is part of what some executives and coaches are calling the best defensive draft class of the past two decades, tweets Dianna Russini of ESPN.
  • Free agent wide receiver Louis Murphy was arrested Wednesday at Tampa International Airport on a felony count of carrying a concealed weapon, per Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times. Murphy, 29, played with the Raiders, Panthers, Giants and Buccaneers from 2009-15. He missed all of last season with a torn ACL, becoming a free agent after the Bucs waived him off injured reserve in November.

Texans Still Not Open To Cutler, Kaepernick?

Even after learning Tony Romo has chosen retirement over Houston (or any other NFL club), the Texans don’t view Jay Cutler or Colin Kaepernick as “strong options” for their quarterback vacancy, according to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report (video link).Jay Cutler (vertical)

Cutler, for his part, doesn’t seem to be garnering interest anywhere, as Ian Rapoport of NFL.com says Cutler’s name “rarely, if ever, comes up” during discussions with head coaches and general managers regarding quarterback openings. Following the Jets’ recent signing of veteran Josh McCown, Rapoport indicated New York — unsurprisingly — was no longer an option for Cutler, and also signaled the Texans were similarly disinterested in the former Bears quarterback.

The possibility of a Cutler retirement is still on the table, per Rapoport, confirming a scenario that was first floated in February. While Cutler may wait for an injury to occur that would enable him land a starting job, he might simply be forced into hanging up his cleats. If no team reaches out with sincere interest, an involuntary retirement could be on the table.

Kaepernick, meanwhile, hasn’t been linked to any clubs as of yet, and his asking price may be a problem. While some reports have indicated Kaepernick is pushing for a starting gig and $9-10MM, that figure may not be entirely accurate. Still, some teams are apparently concerned about his vegan diet and his commitment to football, which — in addition to his recent play and political beliefs — could limit his market.

At present, the Texans have just two quarterbacks — Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden — on their roster. If they don’t bring in a veteran passer, they could look to draft a signal-caller either at pick No. 25 or on Day 2.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.