The Cowboys announced their 13-man UDFA group Tuesday. One familiar-looking name appears on this list. Here is the full contingent:
- Larry Allen Jr., OL (Harvard)
- Andrew Dowell, LB (Michigan State)
- Luke Gifford, LB (Nebraska)
- Jalen Guyton, WR (North Texas)
- Nate Hall, LB (Northwestern)
- Mitch Hyatt, T (Clemson)
- Jon’Vea Johnson, WR (Toledo)
- Brandon Knight, T (Indiana)
- Justin Phillips, LB (Oklahoma State)
- Derrick Puni, T (Central Missouri)
- Ricky Walker, DE (Virginia Tech)
- Chris Westry, CB (Kentucky)
- Daniel Wise, DE (Kansas)
Allen is indeed the son of Hall of Fame Cowboy Larry Allen. Like his father, Larry Allen Jr. primarily works as a guard. He earned first-team All-Ivy League honors twice. While Clemson’s defensive line received the draft attention, Hyatt was a two-time first-team All-American.
The younger brother of Patriots defensive end Deatrich Wise, Daniel Wise was a two-time first-team All-Big 12 player. Westry stands 6-foot-4, making him a natural fit for Kris Richard‘s scheme. One of three linebackers in this group, Phillips led Oklahoma State in tackles last season. Dowell was among the Big Ten’s 2018 tackle leaders, registering 97 with the Spartans as a senior.