Buccaneers Officially Waive Antonio Brown

Thursday’s transaction report revealed, after days of uncertainty, the Buccaneers waived Antonio Brown. As the back-and-forth between the parties persists, Brown is no longer a member of the team.

Brown has announced he will undergo ankle surgery, which would certainly make the prospect of a team claiming the mercurial star highly unlikely. A Brown claim would be known by Friday afternoon. Brown was not waived with an injury designation, Greg Auman of The Athletic tweets.

This marks the fourth time in the past two-plus years a team has parted ways with Brown. The Steelers traded him to the Raiders in March 2019, and the Raiders released him after a turbulent training camp. The Patriots released Brown in September 2019, after deploying him in one game. Because the trade deadline has long since passed, Brown is subject to the waiver wire. But he is likely headed back to free agency.

Brown’s latest exit stems from his midgame walkout against the Jets. Although Bruce Arians said immediately after the game Brown was done in Tampa, the Bucs spent days weighing their options on separating from the 12th-year veteran. Part of the delay appeared to center around the prospect of yet another team giving Brown an opportunity. After a Brown’s statement that accused the Bucs of forcing him to play through injury surfaced Wednesday night, the defending champions cut their losses.

Arians countered AB’s assertions Thursday, indicating Brown’s refusal to re-enter Sunday’s Jets matchup took place because he was frustrated about targets.

He was very upset at halftime about who was getting targeted,” Arians said, via Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. “Got that calmed down; players took care of that. It started again on the sideline. We called for the personnel group that he had played in the entire game. He refused to go in the game. That’s when I looked back and saw him basically wave off the coach. I then went back, approached him about what was going on. ‘I ain’t playing.’ What’s going on? ‘I ain’t getting the ball.’ That’s when I said, ‘You’re done. Get the eff out of here.'”

The optics of Brown jogging and dancing as he left the field at MetLife Stadium are not great for his stance that injury was behind the dismissal, but he did not practice after aggravating his ankle malady on Dec. 29. Brown nevertheless suited up and caught three of the five passes thrown his way for 26 yards.

The Bucs gave Brown an incentive package that would have guaranteed him $334K by reaching 50 catches. That was merely Brown’s lowest-tier incentive, but it became relevant after he missed nine games because of contracting COVID-19, being suspended due to his faked vaccine card, and the ankle injury. Brown collected a $2MM signing bonus and $1.1MM in base salary this season, but issues staying on the field cost him incentive dollars.

Interestingly, Bucs GM Jason Licht added that Brown asked last week, despite coming off a three-game suspension, for his $2MM in remaining incentives to be guaranteed. The Bucs, understandably, declined. Licht also said Brown did not communicate his ankle was bothering him pregame or during the game (Twitter links via ESPN’s Adam Schefter). Regardless of how we got here, this marks yet another messy exit for Brown, who was on a first-ballot Hall of Fame path before his Steelers divorce.

Brown’s intention to undergo surgery stands to end his season. This release comes barely a week after Arians praised AB for growing while in Tampa. Arians had said Brown being cut because of the fake vaccination card was in play but agreed to take him back after his suspension ended. While the Bucs are the latest team to regret taking the gamble on Brown’s talent — a move Arians initially resisted before Tom Brady‘s preference won out — the former All-Pro played well, for the most part, when available this season. Based on recent history, it would not shock if Brown resurfaced elsewhere in 2022. But his age (34 this summer) and obvious baggage will work against him.

Bears Place Justin Fields On Reserve/COVID-19 List

The Bears will very likely not have their rookie signal-caller available for the season finale against the Vikings. Quarterback Justin Fields has been placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list, reports ESPN’s Field Yates (via Twitter). 

Fields has appeared in 12 games this year, including 10 starts. For the most part, though, it has been a rookie season to forget; Fields has a 2-8 record, a completion percentage of 58.9% and more interceptions (10) than touchdown passes (seven). While he has added 420 yards and two touchdowns on 72 carries (for a healthy average of 5.8 yards per attempt), he’s also been sacked 36 times and taken a number of big hits while keeping the ball himself.

Assuming Fields is unable to play, look for Andy Dalton to get the start, as he did in Week 17’s 29-3 win over the Giants. In that case, Nick Foles would again dress as the backup. Dalton has been about what could be expected in the twilight of his career, posting a 3-2 record, 61.7% completion percentage and even (7:7) touchdown-to-interception ratio in five starts this campaign.

Given the uncertainty around Head Coach Matt Nagy beyond Sunday, this news could very well mean Fields has played his final game before a replacement coach is brought in. The 6-10 Bears end a disappointing 2021 season in Minnesota, against the 7-9 Vikings.

Cowboys’ Tyron Smith Tests Positive For COVID-19

One day after their breakout star defender tested positive for COVID-19, the Cowboys learned of another positive test from a key piece to their offense. Starting left tackle Tyron Smith has been placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list, per NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport (via Twitter). 

Micah Parsons tested positive on Wednesday, which in all likelihood ended his rookie season. The fact that Smith tested positive one day later, of course, makes his absence for Saturday’s game against the Eagles even more likely. Smith has already missed four games this year, including Week 15 most recently. Those absences have been related to ongoing ankle issues, and come after he was only able to suit up for two games last year. Without Smith, look for Terence Steele or Ty Nsekhe to fill in at left tackle.

The silver lining to the news for Dallas is the fact that they have already clinched the NFC East title, rendering the game against Philadelphia – which has also clinched a playoff spot – relatively meaningless. On the other hand, NFL Network’s Jane Slater reports that there are “a few players feeling under the weather today”, and that cornerback Anthony Brown has also tested positive.

The Cowboys’ COVID-19 situation will be worth monitoring in the coming days, as the team ultimately prepares for the postseason starting next week.

Steelers Place Diontae Johnson, Kendrick Green On Reserve/COVID-19 List

Ahead of their season finale against the Ravens on Sunday, the Steelers may be without their top wide receiver and a starter on their offensive line. Diontae Johnson and rookie center Kendrick Green have been placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list (Twitter link via NFL Network’s Aditi Kinkhabwala).

Losing Johnson would be a huge blow to Pittsburgh’s passing attack, as he has recorded 100 catches for 1110 yards and eight touchdowns in 15 games so far this year. Johnson had a massive game in Week 13 against the Ravens, making eight catches for 105 yards and two touchdowns. He would have a good chance of repeating that sort of performance in Week 18, given the beleaguered state of the Ravens’ cornerback room.

Green, a third round pick this past April, has started in all 15 games he has been available for this season. His absence could hinder the improved Steelers’ running game and overall pass protection, which has been a talking point for the team since the beginning of the campaign. Pittsburgh also placed starting corner Joe Haden on the Reserve/COVID-19 list on Wednesday.

The Steelers visit Baltimore on Sunday, needing – just like the Ravens – a victory and help from other AFC results to make it into the postseason.

NFL COVID-19 List Updates: 1/4/22-1/5/22

Here are Tuesday and Wednesday’s activations from and placements on the reserve/COVID-19 lists:

Arizona Cardinals

Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Chicago Bears

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Dallas Cowboys

Denver Broncos

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Houston Texans

Indianapolis Colts

Jacksonville Jaguars

Kansas City Chiefs

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Chargers

  • Activated from reserve/COVID-19 list: TE Jared Cook, LB Damon Lloyd (remains on IR)

Minnesota Vikings

New Orleans Saints

New York Giants

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tennessee Titans

Washington Football Team

NFL Practice Squad Updates: 1/5/22

Today’s taxi squad moves:

Arizona Cardinals

Baltimore Ravens

Buffalo Bills

Carolina Panthers

Chicago Bears

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Denver Broncos

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Kansas City Chiefs

Los Angeles Rams

Minnesota Vikings

New Orleans Saints

New York Giants

New York Jets

Pittsburgh Steelers

San Francisco 49ers

Tennessee Titans

Washington Football Team

Minor NFL Transactions: 1/5/22

Here are Wednesday’s minor moves:

Arizona Cardinals

Atlanta Falcons

Carolina Panthers

Chicago Bears 

Cleveland Browns

Dallas Cowboys

Denver Broncos

Green Bay Packers

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Rams

Miami Dolphins

Minnesota Vikings

New Orleans Saints

New York Giants

New York Jets

San Francisco 49ers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tennessee Titans

Cowboys Place Micah Parsons On Reserve/COVID-19 List

Micah Parsons landed on the Cowboys’ reserve/COVID-19 list Wednesday due to a positive test. With this news coming four days before the Cowboys’ recently rescheduled Week 18 matchup, Parsons’ regular season is likely over.

The NFL slid the Cowboys’ regular-season-ending Eagles matchup to Saturday. Even with the NFL’s revised protocols, Parsons will likely not be in uniform again until his team’s playoff opener. Week 18 stands to be Parsons’ first absence this season.

While the Cowboys’ Week 17 loss prevented them from vying for the NFC’s No. 1 seed, the NFC East champions could still obtain the conference’s Nos. 2 or 3 seeds. However, they would need to win and see the Rams and Buccaneers lose to move up. A win and a Rams loss to the 49ers would vault the Cowboys to the No. 3 slot. The Bucs are less likely to drop, having opened as 9.5-point home favorites against the Panthers.

As for Parsons, he has likely sewn up the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year honor. The Penn State product has been a revelation for the Cowboys, registering 13 sacks and an NFL-leading 20 tackles for loss while playing both linebacker and defensive end. No rookie has won Defensive Player of the Year acclaim since Lawrence Taylor in 1981. Oddsmakers peg sack leader T.J. Watt as the favorite for that award. Parsons, who has helped the Cowboys vault from 28th to seventh in scoring defense from 2020 to this season, has the second-best odds for the award.

The Cowboys will have a bit more help at linebacker in Philadelphia. They activated Keanu Neal from their virus list Wednesday. Neal missed Week 17 due to COVID-19.

Raiders Cut LB Will Compton

Will Compton‘s latest Raiders stint ended with a Wednesday departure. The Raiders cut the veteran linebacker, moving on after his second tenure with the team lasted nearly a month.

Las Vegas brought in Compton, a former starter for the 2019 Oakland Raiders, last month amid sudden depth issues on its defensive second level. Compton ended up playing in one game — Week 14 against the Chiefs — with the team.

A multiyear starter with Washington in the mid-2010s, Compton has now seen NFL action in nine seasons. He has yo-yo’d between the Titans and Raiders over the past four. With Tennessee in 2020, Compton played in 12 games and started one. The 32-year-old defender caught on with the Raiders on Dec. 7.

The Raiders also waived Justin March-Lillard, a linebacker who has been with three teams this year. Although March-Lillard started five games as a rookie with the Chiefs in 2016, he has been a career special-teamer. March-Lillard did not see any game action with the Raiders but was with two teams in December, playing in one game apiece with the 49ers (Week 13) and Saints (Week 16).

Broncos Place Teddy Bridgewater On IR

Teddy Bridgewater‘s season is over. On Wednesday, the Broncos announced that the quarterback has been placed on the injured reserve list, ruling him out for this week’s finale against the Chiefs. 

Bridgewater is still recovering from the concussion that sidelined — and hospitalized — him a few weeks ago. Without him, the Broncos will once again turn to Drew Lock, the third-year passer who has has come up short in starts against the Raiders and Chargers.

The Broncos fell out of playoff contention without Bridgewater, a steady veteran force who has thrown for 18 touchdowns against seven interceptions this year. Bridgewater’s first Denver season will end with 3,052 passing yards and a 66.9% completion rate, plus 30 carries for 106 yards and two rushing TDs.

This upcoming game might not mean much for the Broncos in the long-term, but it could be a deciding factor in Lock’s future.

The strong-armed Mizzou product has shown flashes at times, but he also led the NFL with 15 interceptions in 2020 — quite the feat, considering he also missed three games. One year remains on the ex-second-rounder’s contract and it’s hard to imagine him returning if he doesn’t deliver this weekend.

Bridgewater, meanwhile, agreed to truncate the three-year, $63MM deal he initially signed with the Panthers. Under the terms of his revised pact, he is now scheduled for free agency in March.

Show all